Old 11-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Argosy Adveture

1977 Argosy 22
Dallas , Texas
Here we go!

Well, hopefully opinions will be positive about this one, cause now he's mine. As of Friday I am officially the owner of a 1977 22' Argosy (pics attached). It's in remarkable shape for its age. The belly and frame are in great shape, and it has an IMMACULATE and mostly original interior. I think this one came from a string of wonderfully contentious previous owners, including the very nice and helpful guy that sold it to me. I plan to do some aesthetic touchups, but this one is functionally ready to roll, with relatively new toilet and a/c, replaced flooring with heated floor installed, new fridge, new countertops, new tires, new curtains (factory), etc. All of the original tambour doors even work. The old upholstery is going to go, but it too is in remarkable shape for its age. The only heavy lifting left to do is a new paint job, but more on that to follow. My new life plan is to take this guy for a one-year trek across the US and parts of Canada, with just the Argosy, the Jeep, me and the pup. I'm sure I'll be more present in the forums during the preparation and once our adventure begins.

Where I could use some input: (1) any creative ideas on installing a microwave somewhere unobtrusive in this model? I'm thinking of reinforcing the top shelf of the pantry and adding a pull out shelf with the microwave attached, as seen in some of the newer models. Other ideas? Counter space is a premium here, so I don't want to just set it out anywhere. (2) I am obsessed with the front windows, and I intend to use the front dinette as my primary sleeping and lounging area. It makes a larger bed than the gaucho and I inherited with it a thick tempur-pedic mattress that fits the front bed. I would still like a small table and work area, however, so I'm thinking about replacing the side gaucho with the L-shaped banquette seen in some of the models from this era with a narrow table that can be removed or dropped to make out the second bed if necessary. Any thoughts/plans/advice on the replacement process or plans for the new table would be GREATLY appreciated. I've surfed the forums and the web but most detailed plans seem to deal with replacement of the front dinette, as opposed to creating the side banquette. A set of plans to use as a starting point would be great.

Thanks again to everyone for weighing in on some previous no-go trailers, and I'm so happy to be a part of the Airstream family!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	227254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior with gaucho out.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	227255  

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	227256   Click image for larger version

Name:	front bed down.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	227257  

Old 11-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Cant answer your question, but I can welcome you. Looks great, and I like all the light in the front windows. Enjoy your journey.

2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I think you made a great purchase, and I envy your travel plans! Your trailer looks very nice.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We use a tiny portable 12v/120v microwave. Usually use it on 120 it's a bit wimpy but it works ok for warming stuff. It's small enough to stash in the closet in our rig

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Really nice Argosy !
Regarding the paint. It looks good and intact just chalked up. It will buff out and look almost new. When I bought my 26' my paint looked like that, actually worse because the end caps were peeling which I had to repaint. After we machine buffed it with a 3M compound people thought it was new paint. Keep it waxed using an easy spray wax and keep it covered and it will always look good.
Use a Scotch brite on the anodized moulding and some new orange insert moulding. It will look sharp !
One of the best parts is that the Pano's are original and you want to keep it that way, protect them with a rock guard or have some type of covers made. Theres a lot of discussion in AF about this.
Im in Houston so welcome neighbor !
Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
X 2 on the rock guards. New clear pano windows are hard to find (unobtanium) and expensive to replace. Much better to do some proactive protection.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
As stated, I don't believe you need to paint unless you hate the color. A dose of rubbing compound & wax will do wonders for that coach.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
Argosy Adveture

1977 Argosy 22
Dallas , Texas
Thanks everybody! And I should confess, I'm only showing the pretty side. On his last trip out the previous owner scraped the curb side at the top of the wheel well, which will have to be sanded down and treated somehow. I think the scrapes can be pulled out without any real body work and fortunately it's all below the rivet line for the wheel well. Any suggestions for spot painting just over the damaged area though? I think the color is great and I would be happy to skip the paint stage if I can, I just thought it would be necessary after repairing the side. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	227323   Click image for larger version

Name:	side with scrape.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	227324  

Old 11-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Welcome!
Once of the first things I would suggest is reading this thread and getting those front windows protected.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nuet-9638.html
with the trip you are preparing for it just makes sense to do it. Too many of us a searching for those windows (drivers side especially) I have three passenger side front ironically, but need the drivers front.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I wouldn't worry too much about the scrape unless it broke the skin. These are aluminum skins and aluminum doesn't have the 'memory' steel has so damage like that is usually skin replacement. There are some colors of Krylon that are close to the color on the Argosy so you can mask the damage a bit with paint.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ml#post1191736
here is another option for the front pano windows. I got mine from Hornsby Canvas in Tillsonburg Ontario. They have made numerous sets of these and have the pattern. $400 for the pair. It's a 3/8" high density foam sandwiched between sunbrella canvas.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Here's how I made rock guards for my Argosy.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ds-105764.html