Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Help with ID of Argosy 24' on Craigslist

Hope this is the best forum for this. This seems like a steal of a deal at $2000 (or trade for truck)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/206566432.html

Name:   Argosy24front.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:   Argosy24interior.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  26.8 KB

I'm having a hard time reconciling the interior photo. Is this one of the rare rear door models??

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bernie,
From the pictures the Craiglist ad links to, it is a Regular Argosy 24 and not in very good shape. I would think the $2k price is pretty fair. Looks like a serious project trailer. The door latch is missing...small wonder it is one of the $700 ones

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Argosy

It's not a rear door trailer and is not in very good shape. Mine was in better shape when I started and I have invested $35000.00 in mine.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Argosy

A replacement door latch like the new Airstream's is now made. It is much cheeper. Contact David Tidmore at 800-378-5883 for price and stock number.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Looks like a std rear bath, side twin bed Argosy 24, with door on street side front... Others have talked about door latch and lock.

Exterior will take a lot of work to clean up, but there don't appear to be any major dents. Interior from those photo's appears cluttered, but cabinetry and counters look decent... I'd assume mattresses and upholstery and drapes need re-doing, but those are manageable costs.. Biggest cost driver inside would be floor, which could have dry-rot problems around bath or entry door, especially with missing door latch/lock..

If you can get to see it, and take an ice pick to poke at floor in those areas, you can determine how much new flooring might be required. Assume carpet goes anyway, but sub-floor can be challenging in large sections...

With no promises about appliances, you can make assumptions about cost for the big ones: Refrigerator $1K+, Air Conditioner $800, Water Heater $600 and Furnace $500... Water pumps and other smaller things are less of a challenge...

Hard to tell from side shot of wheels in dusk whether axles OK or are sagging and compressed, as those would be another big expense, at $800+ per axle...

All told, it might be worth buying IF floor plan and layout and size and weight fit your desires.. I doubt seller is going to be burdened with multiple offers, so I'd try offering less, and being patient. At $1500 or less it could turn out to be a great deal, if stuff actually works in it, and sub-floor is really OK... Seller might be thrilled to see cash and a truck to make trailer go away from the house...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I'd say go for it if there isn't any sign of water damage inside. The paint is going to cost you in excess of 2400 on the exterior, and we have no idea if the appliances work, figure $500 for each one, though the stove looks good. Are the windows all original? If they are, the floor is solid, the toilet works and the frame looks ok, I'd say that's about a decent price, given the market today. expect to put at least $5000 in it in your first year. Needs new tires and probably axles, and should get paint. But when you're done, given what I have said, it'll be great.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
OK, I see the person posting the ad now has a link to additional pictures. When I saw it this morning it only had the two I inserted in my post since Craigslist ads have a way of disappearing fast if it's a good deal. I couldn't figure out from the picture what I was look at. Now that I'm able to link to a larger version of the picture I see that IT'S SIDEWAYS! Maybe I just hadn't had my coffee yet this morning

Anyway, I'm not in the market for another Argosy 24 and even though this one's half what I paid for mine I'm still more than happy with the deal we got. I bet this trailer though would be a great deal for someone looking for a project. Projects I got; time I don't

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Seattle , Washington
bought it

Hi all,
I actually bought this Argosy 24' last week. I don't have a tow vehicle yet, so I had A-1 tow it for me. It is in my backyard on an almost level patch of dirt and grass, wood blocks under tires for sure!
I have multiple questions about this and can tell you what I have found so far.

The interior is in great shape, the floor appears to be as well. I will rip up the carpet next week to be sure (ugly dirty brouwn).
The water pump works, as well as all faucets and toilet.
The windows are original, the screens need some repair.
The tires seem surprisingly fantastic. It only went on Five trips and spent the rest of it's life hanging out in the yard (as you could probably tell from the pics).
I started cleaning the exterior yesterday and the paint looks fine, the dirt comes off in droves. I would prefer aluminum, but from what I have read so far, the skin is partially steel, partially not so good aluminum...would it be worth the 100 hours?

I am having a friend make the curtains and we will get new foam and fabric for the seats. Fridge? Haven't checked that either yet...But it really is nice inside. Steve and his wife (previous owners) inherited it when they bought their fixer upper house. The pics on Craigslist showed the interior BEFORE cleaned out. I went by the next morning and they were tearing down the wood frame surrounding it, went back later in the afternoon (after the bees were gone) and bought it.

I will look into the newer door latch. I don't know how to figure out the stove, although I have a manual. I wanted to get it perfectly level first, before I spend TOO much time inside...

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an un-level yard? I do NOT have access to paved street area or a driveway. Special leveling equipt? Or am I just being too darn hopeful. I will try to attach a photo, but I think my file size is too large.

This is my first Airstream/Argosy EVER. I have a '62 Skylark that isn't a tow car and we have a 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon that I read a ton about on this forum. If anyone has any advice or suggestions on possibilities WITH the Roadmaster, that would be great...or I guess I will start looking at trucks and SUV's with good gas mileage in the next couple months.

I really look forward to chatting with all of you. You have no idea how helpful you have been to me already! Thanks and cheers,
Warmly,
Katy Aversenti
aversenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by aversenti
Does anyone have a good suggestion for an un-level yard? I do NOT have access to paved street area or a driveway. Special leveling equipt? Or am I just being too darn hopeful. I will try to attach a photo, but I think my file size is too large.
Get some concrete paving blocks, and build them up in a ramp for the low side wheels until the trailer is pretty much level. You could also shovel some dirt from the high side to the low side to help out.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi Katy. Argosys are cool and collectable! We have a number of argosy owners in the Pacific NW including at least 2 in Seattle. That brown carpet used to be burnt orange.... ugly then, ugly now.

learn to use the search tool on the upper blue bar - and ask questions when you need help - welcome to the forums.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The trailer has to be level to check the fridge, otherwise it won't work well if at all. Since you don't have a tow vehicle, do you have a floor jack that can lift one side of the trailer? If the trailer is not too far off level, you might be able to use the jack and jack stands (on a plywood base) to level temporarily until you can tow onto a ramp. Put the jack under the frame and lift until it is level. (Put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood down to keep the jack and stands from sinking into the ground.) Put a jack stand or two under the frame when the unit is level and take the jack out. Concrete blocks also work for supports, but you can't adjust them unless you do some digging or use wood for shims on top. Be VERY careful as you are lifting 2 tons and you need to be sure everything is solid.

You can also find Dometic manuals on the web from Dometic. They tell you how to clean and maintain the fridge.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
search Roadmaster on the forums...

and you'll find a lot. In a nutshell, you should be fine. PM me if you need assistance (I'm in the UW area).
Welcome aboard!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Seattle , Washington
Thanks SO much all! I will tackle the floor jack situation this weekend....any thoughts on where to purchase? Also, I would love to eventually get a once over from an prof; Recommendations on Trailer Shops or might anyone be willing to spend a day showing me and my fiance the ropes of this thing in trade for meal/beer/ginger beer?

I am excited. My mom comes to town next week and we will start tackling the carpet. She's a great mom!

Warmly,
Katy
aversenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #14
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Katy,

Congratulations on your Argosy! For local shops, we've had good luck with Evergreen RV (166th & Aurora) - haven't had any work done there but they are always willing to answer questions and search for parts for us.

Good luck with your new project!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Second Evergreen RV...

nice folks, fairly priced. I sent you a pm
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote