Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
Help-out of time

leaving for 5 day trip wed and took 77 6.0 Argosy out today for a test spin of 10-15 miles. When I just barely touch my brakes on my TV (2004 King Ranch) I can feel the trailer brakes, which I thought was Ok but when I got home, both hubs were too hot to touch-has buddy bearing-think bearings are ok-no slop-coud it be my controller? I would rather have no brakes-how can i disconnect at the last minute if I have to.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
brake controller

I have no experience with bearing buddies. Could your brake controller be adjusted too tight? Are the brakes dragging?? Having had bearing buddies on a boat trailer I found that it was difficult to adjust brakes with grease packed in the hub with bearing buddies. The grease just added resistance and made it harder to feel the brake drag. This is hard to describe as it is a "doesn't feel right" thing. I would try going back in and backing the bearing off just a little bit. Better a little loose than too tight. You could try disconnecting the brakes and try towing it and see if it still heats up. If it does, it is the bearings. If it does not it is the brakes.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The hubs are too hot to touch because the grease is so packed into the hub there is no place for the heat to go. Grease is an excellent insulator. You'll probably need to:

1: remove the bearing buddies
2: remove the brake drums
3: replace the brake shoes that are probably coated with wheel bearing grease
4: replace the blown-out inner seals for the hubs
5: clean all the packed-in grease out of the hubs
6: repack the bearings by hand
7: install a normal dust cap on the hub.

Bearing Buddies are great for boat trailers, where the pressurized grease will force the water out of the hubs, and you usually aren't going 500 miles with your boat. They are not recommended for travel trailers.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
Loudruff, turns out you were correct-Controller was showing 12-13 with brakes applied. I turned it down to about 6 and took the same spin-braking was different such as less on the trailer and when I got back the hubs were only luke warm. I didn't think buddy bearings had anything to do with it (put on by the PO?) because I also tow a 11,000 lb boat with buddy bearings and no hot hubs-thanks guys-ready to roll again!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
overlander63

Good! Glad you got part of it figured out. The thing about buddy bearings that was posted by Overlander63 may be a part of that issue. I would think about that cleaning and changing things a little bit too.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
when I get back, I'm gonna tear it down and take them off-there is no need for them and also the grease zirk on one came out today. have never checked the bearings since i bought it last fall.