Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Opening, middle window on the gaucho side of our Argosy Minuet 6.7

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Opening, middle window on the gaucho side of our Argosy Minuet 6.7
There are 3 sizes of curved opening windows, 18", 29" and 39".

All 3 are available.

Andy

Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
OK, I appreciated Andy's reply, but I am still wondering if any Argosy owners, lately, have done the replacement of an acrylic window? I am trying to see if it is going to end up being more time/work than we can handle right now. I am also having to work thru a full roof replacement due to hail damage which is very time consuming with all the hoops I am having jump. I won't go into detail....

We do want to replace the rubber gaskets around all windows, so might be able to do all together, just need a time/energy reference if anyone could be so helpful. Thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help on ACRYLIC WINDOW REPLACEMENT, '79 Argosy

Greetings COArgosy78!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
OK, I appreciated Andy's reply, but I am still wondering if any Argosy owners, lately, have done the replacement of an acrylic window? I am trying to see if it is going to end up being more time/work than we can handle right now. I am also having to work thru a full roof replacement due to hail damage which is very time consuming with all the hoops I am having jump. I won't go into detail....

We do want to replace the rubber gaskets around all windows, so might be able to do all together, just need a time/energy reference if anyone could be so helpful. Thanks.
You may be pioneering this operation on a Minuet's Acrylic side windows. I believe that the replacement window units that Andy is referring to are glass as used in more recent coaches. I haven't had to approach this problem yet, but I highly suspect the following:
  • The window frame may have to be disassembled.
  • The gasket and retaining channel rubber/vinyl componets will likely be of a type not used on other Airstream products so it may be necessary to work with a glass shop and/or an automotive source to match the rubber/vinyl components that hold the Acrylic in the frame -- and my guess is that an exact match may not be out there so it will be as close as can be found in current catalogs.
  • Argosy wasn't the only manufacturer utilizing Acrylic for windows in the 1977 through 1979 period. I know that Skyline was using Acrylics for windows in the coaches that they marketed as Light Weight Specials . . . . it may be that a part from Skyline might be adaptable if Airstream and the typical Airstream sources don't have a compatible retaining material.
Good luck with your investigation and project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
I just bought a 79 argosy 27. I would like to clean the windows. Do yall know, are mine normal glass? Should I just use windex? Thank you, Katie
Old 03-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmomma View Post
I just bought a 79 argosy 27. I would like to clean the windows. Do yall know, are mine normal glass? Should I just use windex? Thank you, Katie
All the windows were originally glass.

Best way to tell is tap on them. Glass makes a different sound than plastic.

Or another way, is look for what is called the "bug", which is some printing that's in the glass.

Andy
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
If the windows are glass, Eastwood sells kits for removing scratches, and may have one for cleaning plastic windows up. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I have an acrylic dust cover on a vintage record player. It was badly scratched from moving it around the world. I used headlight lens restorer and a final polish with lcd screen cleaner. Looks like new. might be worth trying a smal area of window to see how it goes.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

I'm new to this forum since I only recently purchased my 78 minuet 7.3 metre, and find myself spending hours perusing through the pages of q and a. I'm quite surprised at how little info is available regarding this issue of acrylic window replacement so, here are my two cents.
Previous owner decided to remove one of the side windows that had been left open in what was apparently a blind backing situation so I received the camper in this sad state. This was my first repair to the unit and my introduction to the wonderful world if Argosy. After removing the the twelve self tapping #10 sheet metal screws affixing the damaged window and frame, I set about deciphering how the assembly was put together, this is what I found.
The sash is constructed from two halves (you can see the seam that joins them at the top and bottom of the window frame) that are joined and riveted through a 2 3/4" tenon made from 3/16" x 1/4" steel bar. Careful attention should be payed to this joint as it is extremely tight fitting and in the case of my particular sash, the tenons and aluminum frame extrusions had become glued together from oxidation. I was able to clamp the frame halves and pry carefully between the clamps to open the frame. I wasn't too afraid of damage since the previous owner hammered the frame down wherever it popped up when screwing the sheet metal screws through the sash, but I digress. Once the frame was split, I was able to remove the crazed acrylic which made a perfect template for the clear 1/8" lexan I purchased at Lowe's. After a little finesse and shaping and hammering and bending the frame back to its original configuration I was able to reuse the gasket. I cut new tenons for the reassembly and the repair was complete. I still need to make repairs to the hinge and the mating window frame but the acrylic replacement is no longer a mystery! I hope this helps any future argosy side window glazers.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

By the way, all of my side windows are acrylic from the factory and all are badly crazed and cracked so complete replacement will be necessary before the camper can be enjoyed.