Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Help on ACRYLIC WINDOW REPLACEMENT, '79 Argosy

I know I saw it somewhere, but lost it...on how to TAKE OUT the acrylic SIDE windows of my 79 Argosy. I want to replace the acrylic with I don't know what....acrylic, lexan, or???? And need to know the type of weather strip that was used. Mine is so crushed and hard that it is difficult to tell. But, as I said, first I need to know how to take the windows out. I do not see any screws, etc. Thanks a lot.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Contact Inland RV for the weather strip info. As for the windows, I think that you need to disconnect the handles for the two supports (controls? Thingies that keep the window open to a degree you decide? Whatever) which involves unscrewing allen screws. Once the window can be raised to about 90 degrees from the closed position, the top hinge will disconnect and the window will come off. The hinge is really two interlocking U shaped pieces.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
I know I saw it somewhere, but lost it...on how to TAKE OUT the acrylic SIDE windows of my 79 Argosy. I want to replace the acrylic with I don't know what....acrylic, lexan, or???? And need to know the type of weather strip that was used. Mine is so crushed and hard that it is difficult to tell. But, as I said, first I need to know how to take the windows out. I do not see any screws, etc. Thanks a lot.
All of your windows were originally glass.

If you use plexiglass, it will crack and craze shortly.

When you take the window frame (sash) apart, you may not get them back together again, because of the inner corrosion.

You will also remove some of the rivets from the hinge,

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help on ACRYLIC WINDOW REPLACEMENT,79 Argosy

I would agree with Andy if your coach was a regular Argosy, but the Minuets were equipped with awning style windows containing acrylic (side windows only). This is supported by the Specifications section of the 1979 Argosy sales literature -- specifically the specifications mention:
Exclusive contoured awning type Herculite safety glass windows, except Minuet side windows which are awning-type acrylic.
The acrylic side windows were one of the surprises when I purchased my Minuet. It wasn't unusual to be experimenting with acrylic windows during this time period -- my 1980 Nomad 1720 Light Weight Special had solar gray tinted acrylic windows all arond (sliders on the side that leaked terribly).

I am reasonably certain that most (if not all) 6.0 Metre Minuets had the acrylic side windows, but I have less experience with the 6.7 and 7.3 Metre Minuets so am less certain about those models.

Whether acrylic or glass, the sturcture and operation of the windows is identical as is the removal for servicing. Something to keep in mind when choosing a replacement material is the rather limited Cargo Carrying Capacity of the Minuet -- I suspect that tempered glass would add several pound to the coach's empty weight thus reducing Cargo Caryying Capacity.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All of your windows were originally glass.

If you use plexiglass, it will crack and craze shortly.

When you take the window frame (sash) apart, you may not get them back together again, because of the inner corrosion.

You will also remove some of the rivets from the hinge,

Andy
Thanks Andy; so what you are saying is leave these present acrylic windows alone???? From the looks of them, it really does appear that they could be original. No way do the windows look as if they have ever been changed from glass. I also read somewhere else that the two on one side and the one on the other of the 79 Argosy WERE acrylic. The back window is glass. Now I am confused

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Thanks for the confirmation Kevin, I thought I had read that about the acrylic windows. But now Andy says if I replace them I may be in danger of ruining the hinges and/or frame. I am still confused. Has anyone else had any luck with replacing these window acrylics? Mine are ok but a bit pitted and not as clear as they should be, almost looking like they have a bit of a fog to the upper parts. Thanks for your input. This site is really something. And, it appears that Andy must be sitting at the computer 24 hours a day!!! Maybe he has some standins!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
So, Argo, it sounds as if you have had experience replacing the acrylic windows on the Minuet 6.0. If so, did it work, or did you have the problems Andy aludes to?? Thanks, Dan

Old 09-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Dan!

I have had acrylic windows in my convertibles, a Nomad travel trailer, and my Minuet. What I have learned is that it is a must to avoid cleaners containing amonia -- I usually us white vinegar and water to clean mine. At least once or twice a year, I use a cleaning compound made specifically for acrylic windows utilized in the aircraft industry. I generally purchase my supplies from Aircraft Spruce. I generally use the following products starting with #1 and using #2 and #3 as necessary:After my initial cleaning and polishing on my Minuet's windows, I use far more of #1 with some #2 and a liitle #3. I have also find that it is useful in maintaining the front window rock guards.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
So, Overlander, I just ordered the three from Spruce. I will be happy to try them on the old acrylic...which, frankly, for their age are not that bad. Anyway, will have the proper cleaners for the rock guard windows. Thanks again, Dan

Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Nope. Never replaced a Minuet side window as I'm happy with the windows in my Minuet. I have just messed with AS windows in past years and am getting ready to enrich Andy a bit as I replace the gaskets on the windows.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You know, if they are the same size, maybe you could replace the crazed acrylic windows with glass replacements. Window and inner frame, mount in the outer frame, and you won't have to worry about lexan, or acrylic. Maybe try one, see if it fits, then go from there.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Dan!

I knew that there was at least one forum member who had replaced damaged acrylic side windows on a Minuet -- try checking this post:

CHAS and '78 Minuet

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Well, it has been awhile since I have had the opportunity to be a part of the AS Forums (Life has a way of getting in there!). I need to resurrect this forum as we were out w/our beloved Moonunit and on the way home discovered a stress crack on one of our side acrylic windows at the top. I am wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of replacing one of these lately and where they got the correct acrylic window material?

We were planning on doing the gaskets as ours have become increasingly brittle and we are starting to experience some minor leaking during windy rain storms (it blows rain thru a pinpoint area at top, then runs down to a point where it drips onto the screen and from there the drips collect and end up on the gaucho!

Anyway, back to original topic....anyone had the pleasure of replacing an acrylic window on their Minuet? If so, please, some help.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Well, it has been awhile since I have had the opportunity to be a part of the AS Forums (Life has a way of getting in there!). I need to resurrect this forum as we were out w/our beloved Moonunit and on the way home discovered a stress crack on one of our side acrylic windows at the top. I am wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of replacing one of these lately and where they got the correct acrylic window material?

We were planning on doing the gaskets as ours have become increasingly brittle and we are starting to experience some minor leaking during windy rain storms (it blows rain thru a pinpoint area at top, then runs down to a point where it drips onto the screen and from there the drips collect and end up on the gaucho!

Anyway, back to original topic....anyone had the pleasure of replacing an acrylic window on their Minuet? If so, please, some help.
Which exact window?

Opening or fixed?

Andy
Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Opening, middle window on the gaucho side of our Argosy Minuet 6.7

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Opening, middle window on the gaucho side of our Argosy Minuet 6.7
There are 3 sizes of curved opening windows, 18", 29" and 39".

All 3 are available.

Andy
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
OK, I appreciated Andy's reply, but I am still wondering if any Argosy owners, lately, have done the replacement of an acrylic window? I am trying to see if it is going to end up being more time/work than we can handle right now. I am also having to work thru a full roof replacement due to hail damage which is very time consuming with all the hoops I am having jump. I won't go into detail....

We do want to replace the rubber gaskets around all windows, so might be able to do all together, just need a time/energy reference if anyone could be so helpful. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Help on ACRYLIC WINDOW REPLACEMENT, '79 Argosy

Greetings COArgosy78!

Quote:
OK, I appreciated Andy's reply, but I am still wondering if any Argosy owners, lately, have done the replacement of an acrylic window? I am trying to see if it is going to end up being more time/work than we can handle right now. I am also having to work thru a full roof replacement due to hail damage which is very time consuming with all the hoops I am having jump. I won't go into detail....

We do want to replace the rubber gaskets around all windows, so might be able to do all together, just need a time/energy reference if anyone could be so helpful. Thanks.
You may be pioneering this operation on a Minuet's Acrylic side windows. I believe that the replacement window units that Andy is referring to are glass as used in more recent coaches. I haven't had to approach this problem yet, but I highly suspect the following:
  • The window frame may have to be disassembled.
  • The gasket and retaining channel rubber/vinyl componets will likely be of a type not used on other Airstream products so it may be necessary to work with a glass shop and/or an automotive source to match the rubber/vinyl components that hold the Acrylic in the frame -- and my guess is that an exact match may not be out there so it will be as close as can be found in current catalogs.
  • Argosy wasn't the only manufacturer utilizing Acrylic for windows in the 1977 through 1979 period. I know that Skyline was using Acrylics for windows in the coaches that they marketed as Light Weight Specials . . . . it may be that a part from Skyline might be adaptable if Airstream and the typical Airstream sources don't have a compatible retaining material.
Good luck with your investigation and project!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
I just bought a 79 argosy 27. I would like to clean the windows. Do yall know, are mine normal glass? Should I just use windex? Thank you, Katie
artmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmomma View Post
I just bought a 79 argosy 27. I would like to clean the windows. Do yall know, are mine normal glass? Should I just use windex? Thank you, Katie
All the windows were originally glass.

Best way to tell is tap on them. Glass makes a different sound than plastic.

Or another way, is look for what is called the "bug", which is some printing that's in the glass.

Andy