Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Interlochen , Michigan
HELP~ Looking at 1973 Argosy 20ft

Hello group-
I am looking at a 1973 Argosy 20ft. For those who would like to see a picture, please see posting on craigslist for Holland, MI. The trailer is also posted on this site for $4999. Looks like original interior and needs exterior paint. Reports not to leak or need new axles...from FL originally. There are two 2 in holes on corners of floor just inside door-though owner says the rest of floor is solid (something about outside spouts being blocked). I love the style of the trailer, but not sure if price is right considering work to do with floor holes and need for repaint/some update to interior. Axle is original. Any help would assist me, as I've owned a old Aspen and a 94 Award previously, but know little about Argosies. Thanks

Julie
Michigan
jahowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I would look at this very carefully before paying $4500 (current price). The paint isn't that bad (Using a wax/cleaner might help.). The axle is always a question. I would plan on replacement of the axle. Do all of the appliances work? Really? How is the frame? No matter how good the unit is, there is always something you will be doing. You might want to upgrade cushions or one of those appliances may quit. On the plus side, the Argosy is better built than most modern trailers. In the final analysis, is this trailer worth $4500 to you? Is the owner open to negotiation?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I'd be happy to look at it for you. There is also a 1974 28 footer listed in Plainwell, MI.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Interlochen , Michigan
Thanks for the replies... The owner of the Argosy will only go to $4000. I mentioned the axles and frame and he said they "were good"...but it sits a bit low that might indicate replacement need.... He did mention he would fix the holes in the floor for this amount.... And said he would "just keep it" if he doesn't get $4000..he doesn't really want to sell it. I was also 2nd caller to a Argosy Minuet for $3600. Sold it to 1st caller who already had 3. I'll keep looking. Anyone who see or knows of a 20 or 22 ft~ please let me know!
jahowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I found any attempt to discuss axles usually falls on deaf ears. That was my experience with the 28ft we bought. They maintain that the trailer pulls like a dream, and of course they will. But thats why the end caps split (I guess) and rivets come loose. I did manage to talk him down from 5k to 3.5k over a period of a couple of months. Knowing what I do now (and thats a limited amount) I would not have bought it.
I have:
Replaced the rear floor (its a centre bath so not the biggest issue)
Replaced the copper with Pex
Installed Town Water supply Inlet
Installed Town Power inlet
Repaired cracked Plastic endcaps
Replaced all window seals/gaskets
Re-sealed many seams
Cleaned, cleaned and cleaned again.
Re-built the bed in the rear.
All jobs that I was not aware I would have to undertake.
OK then, I probably would have bought it because its the most fun I have ever had doing DIY, not that I ever did much before this. I have spent more on tools that the Argosy cost me!
So the moral here is be prepared to do a lot to your Argosy that you are currently not aware of, including the axles.
Best of luck and please keep us updated!

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
What Bex said X2. I spent a lot of time and money upgrading our Minuet - all new appliances, cushions, flooring, water heater, etc. With the axle, when I had it replaced we raised the height about 5 inches and it tows beautifully behind our Tacoma with less likelihood of the tail dragging. Even with the expenses, I have less in the trailer than I would have in a new trailer of similar size AND the newer trailer would not be built as well. It all comes down to what you want to do. Do it a piece at a time and you have a hobby as well as a useful RV.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Florida Argosy? Rust...check for rust! Everything in FL rusts if it has been neglected even a little while.
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote