Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Question Help for new to me '74 Argosy

My husband and I were just given a 1974 24ft Argosy--I have a couple of questionsthat will probally be right up the alley for a newbie owner. This camper looks to be in really good shape and I have already started working on the inside. Does anyone know if the 1974 Argosy came with grey and black water tanks? Also what is the price for the "sunglasses" that everyone is talking about for those hudge front wrap style windows? Any help would be great,.
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
1974 should have a gray and black tank, but both will be very small.
3 piece sunglasses are somewhere around $750 the last time and place I checked.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Pricing in the Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
what is the price for the "sunglasses" that everyone is talking about for those hudge front wrap style windows? Any help would be great,.
Congrads on the new addition to your family.

When it comes to pricing we are not suppose to be posting prices in the forums. We can link to pictures and directly to products in store shopping carts.

Click here to see the 3-Piece Rockguard.

This is a very good investment for protecting those two round windows. If they break, they are pricey. Rocks flying up from the road can do just that.

It will be best if you have your VIN# of your unit when you ask about your Rockguard.

Dan
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
A simple check for two tanks: check the number of dump valves. Two tanks, two valves. One tank, one valve. I would guess that the black tank is adequate for normal use as it won't fill quickly under normal circumstances. Gray tank??? Probably worth getting a blue boy if you are going to be camping without hookups. The price of the sun shades is cheap. If you have to replace one of the front windows it will cost you more than the shades, and it will be clear as the only ones available now are gray.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I will have to check into the vin number---ours was abandoned on some property that my dad looked into buying---the owner said that he was going to have it just hauled off to the dump and my husband asked how much he wanted for it and he said nothing. My husband has always wanted an airstream/so we finally got one. There is some now fun projects to start on like the door lock...and others. I am also looking into adding a/c and a new awning. It will need a new paint job but for now that is on the bottom of the ever growing list of things to do. I found a used middle piece for the "sunglasses" and did not know if I could just purchase the other 2 pieces new.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
Old 01-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Hello Mouth...: The first thing I did after getting my little Minuet was invest in rockguards. One of the curved windows can cost up to $1K, about what the three rockguards cost. A good investment. Also, I did not install the center one, as when I drive pulling with my truck, I can see straight through from my truck to the road behind...a real boon. The center window is perhaps less prone to damage and certainly easier to replace if broken. I had great service from Airstream, through Inland, because the first set came bent and they replaced them immediately with no cost...and didn't require sending them back to Airstream. Deal with reputable comm. dealers and you get good service.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Hello again Mouth: I forgot to mention...I installed the two curved side rockguards myself. It took about an hour and half with only a little help in someone holding a window for me. As opposed the the large set of instructions on this site, I went with the actual instructions packed with the windows. Actually, I read the ones here and then the packaged ones...back and forth. I found that attaching the hinges LAST was the way to go, just as the packaging says. Attach the holding pins near the center FIRST, then mark where the hinges go and you are home free. Saved a lot by installing myself. Good luck.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I will have to check into the vin number---ours was abandoned on some property that my dad looked into buying---the owner said that he was going to have it just hauled off to the dump and my husband asked how much he wanted for it and he said nothing. My husband has always wanted an airstream/so we finally got one. There is some now fun projects to start on like the door lock...and others. I am also looking into adding a/c and a new awning. It will need a new paint job but for now that is on the bottom of the ever growing list of things to do. I found a used middle piece for the "sunglasses" and did not know if I could just purchase the other 2 pieces new.
There are several important other things that you should do, ASAP. The Rockguard can wait.

Check all the exterior gaskets, the entrance door, the windows, the access compartments and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. Check the clearance lights for leaks, too.

You can take your time with many other things, but first, "make the trailer water proof".

The rewards are tremendeous.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Thanks to everyone who has been such a great help on these forums.....Andy my husband and I did some work on the camper today and he checked all of the gaskets around the windows and door and they all need to be replaced....Where do I get replacement gaskets? Also not sure of what you were talking about the sewer portion to check?
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Get them from Andy at Inland RV! I have got lots from them and they are great to deal with!
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has been such a great help on these forums.....Andy my husband and I did some work on the camper today and he checked all of the gaskets around the windows and door and they all need to be replaced....Where do I get replacement gaskets? Also not sure of what you were talking about the sewer portion to check?
Remove one of the sewer vent pipe covers. You should find the gasket with big cracks in it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote