Old 02-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Toronto
Help a rookie, 1978 Argosy 24D

We have a 1978 Argosy 24D. Love it. Great shape; tows like a dream with a Ford Freestar; one previous owner who kept every bill, manual & repair bill. Last year (our first year out) we towed her for 4 months from Toronto along the entire Florida coast and back to Surfside South Carolina.

My problems:

1. The ABS drain pipe has sheared off (with part of the drain) from the shower base. Where can I get a replacement part and how do I go about rattaching it.

2. Urine odour from the bathroom. Yes, I've read the threads. The odor is inconsistent and I cannot analyse it - use chemicals; backwashed the tank; filled the p-traps; checked the seals and the stack pipe, etc. An RV guy tells me it's likely a stack problem and recommends the "RV-360" stack extender, wind thingy, as the solution. Anybody have any positive experience with the product? If so, how do you connect to to the existing stack pipe?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #2

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi rgolemba -- and welcome to the Forums! Sorry that you've tried to get attention to your question the last few days and nobody has responded.

Have you dropped the back end of the belly pan to take a look yet? I know you won't have much access to the shower drain until you do that. It's just inboard of the frame on the curbside.

On the other problem, how well is your current roof vent functioning? The original plastic vent cover may be fragile (see link below). But how is the screen covering the end of the vent pipe? Have insects managed to get past the screen and built nests in the vent pipe? If no screen, probe carefully with something long and thin for blockage. If that's not the answer I would want to rule out a crack at the outlet to your black tank. The same adventure under the belly pan could tell you if the plywood floor under is getting saturated with tank waste. Unfortunately it takes major disassembly to access any of this from inside the trailer. Function of these components as originally designed should not allow all this smell. I do not think extending the vent stack will help.

Did you see this thread from the other day? It has several points relevant to Argosy ownership.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Where do you keep the Argosy now. I have had the bathroom out of our Argosy a few times. They aren't too bad to work on. I am south of Stratford , Ontario. If you bring it over in the spring I can show you how to get at all the parts.
60 Ambassador Int.
56 Whale tail
98 Safari
68 Tradewind
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Hi rgolemba -- and welcome to the Forums! Sorry that you've tried to get attention to your question the last few days and nobody has responded.

Have you dropped the back end of the belly pan to take a look yet? I know you won't have much access to the shower drain until you do that. It's just inboard of the frame on the curbside.

On the other problem, how well is your current roof vent functioning? The original plastic vent cover may be fragile (see link below). But how is the screen covering the end of the vent pipe? Have insects managed to get past the screen and built nests in the vent pipe? If no screen, probe carefully with something long and thin for blockage. If that's not the answer I would want to rule out a crack at the outlet to your black tank. The same adventure under the belly pan could tell you if the plywood floor under is getting saturated with tank waste. Unfortunately it takes major disassembly to access any of this from inside the trailer. Function of these components as originally designed should not allow all this smell. I do not think extending the vent stack will help.

Did you see this thread from the other day? It has several points relevant to Argosy ownership.
Thanks Bob. I was trying to avoid taking off the pan but it sounds like I may not have any choice. The stack screen and cover seem to be ok so it must be elsewhere. The smell has stopped for the last 2 days but I'm sure it will return.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It may be something as simple as a bad gasket around the toilet base.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman
Where do you keep the Argosy now. I have had the bathroom out of our Argosy a few times. They aren't too bad to work on. I am south of Stratford , Ontario. If you bring it over in the spring I can show you how to get at all the parts.
Thanks Doug, that's a very generous offer.

Although I live in Toronto (nice and close) I've been storing the trailer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. If I bring it home I'll take you up on your offer.

Ron
Old 02-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It may be something as simple as a bad gasket around the toilet base.
Terry,

Thanks. I checked that as well. Seems I'll have to open it up as per Bob.

Ron
Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Wow another 78, 24ft Argosy. I wish I could help you; however, I haven't had to do that much to mine and haven't had the problems you're having. I'd love to see pictures of yours, including the interior. Good luck with your restoration. I hope you get the answers you need here. If you can't get them here, I wouldn't know where you could get them. These people are the experts. I've gotten lots of help here.....some I didn't understand, but just keep asking and you'll get information .
Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolemba
My problems:

1. The ABS drain pipe has sheared off (with part of the drain) from the shower base. Where can I get a replacement part and how do I go about rattaching it.

2. Urine odour from the bathroom. Yes, I've read the threads. The odor is inconsistent and I cannot analyse it - use chemicals; backwashed the tank; filled the p-traps; checked the seals and the stack pipe, etc. An RV guy tells me it's likely a stack problem and recommends the "RV-360" stack extender, wind thingy, as the solution. Anybody have any positive experience with the product? If so, how do you connect to to the existing stack pipe?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
In answer to your questions,you can get the parts at a hardware store. They used common plumbing parts. Mine has a panel in the bellypan when removed exposes the plumbing for repairs.
Put a hose in the top of the vent stack and see if it's clear. It should wash down into a tank.
The toilet is sitting on a pressed wood board that soaks up liquid like a sponge. If the toilet seal has gone bad the smell could be from there. I took out the sink and toilet and replaced the rotting wood with plywood. Everything is much stronger now.
60 Ambassador Int.
56 Whale tail
98 Safari
68 Tradewind
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thorn Hill , Tennessee
I'll second a urine saturated subfloor. Worked on a MH for several days trying to chase the smell, and determined that the whole bathroom floor would have to come out. It belonged to a buddie, and we were thinking about buyiny it.....he still has it!
RD
Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Toronto
Thanks all,

It seems to be a plugged stack as Doug suggested. Will have to clean it out and go from there.

Ron