Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

1975 Argosy 24
Beckley , West Virginia
Has anyone done window replacement/restoring on leaking windows for an Argosy?

I have searched and searched for info on repairing leaky windows in my 75 Argosy 24ft. I have found tons of stuff for double pain and other types of airstreams but nothing for the Argosy's. The wrap windows make me especially nervous. I would love it if I could have visuals, but if not, I have a few questions maybe someone could answer? Please excuse me if some of the questions seem silly. New owner and trying to piece this together by what I have read.

The windows are in terrible condition. They are leaking horribly. It seems as though it would be an easy enough job for me to tackle, if I have the proper materials and a few questions answered.

-I need to replace the inner gaskets and outer. I am finding it hard to figure out the gasket sizes I need?

- Do I need butyl tape and where exactly does it go?I know this question is stupid. But I am confused on this.

-Are the gaskets something I need to purchase from VTS or can I find them at a local big box store, rv repair shop?

-Around the outer frames, what should I use to seal? Pra-bond, Valkem? Not sure of the difference.

-One last question I have is about the interior frames/screens. Four of mine are missing. Have you ever heard or know of anyone having these custom made or are they still available?

Thanks so much. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
WVNC38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Welcome to the Forums

Nice of you to join our group of owners. We will try to help you as much as we can with your questions. Use the search tab on the blue tool bar above and key words such as Argosy, Panoramic Windows, Sealants etc. Vulkem has been mostly replaced by Acryl-R and/or Trempro 635. ParBond can be used and has been by many. Finding the right adhesives is key to sealing seams and vent openings and rivets. Seals are routinely needed to be replaced if not maintained. For new ones get online to InlandRV.com or Out-of-doors Mart, or VintageTrailerSupply.com. All may be able to get the gaskets you need to you. Andy Rogozinsky @ InlandRV is a great resouce of information on all things Airstream which includes Argosy. Steve at VTS is a very good source for vintage parts and info too! Hope this helps! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNC38 View Post
I have searched and searched for info on repairing leaky windows in my 75 Argosy 24ft. I have found tons of stuff for double pain and other types of airstreams but nothing for the Argosy's. The wrap windows make me especially nervous. I would love it if I could have visuals, but if not, I have a few questions maybe someone could answer? Please excuse me if some of the questions seem silly. New owner and trying to piece this together by what I have read.

The windows are in terrible condition. They are leaking horribly. It seems as though it would be an easy enough job for me to tackle, if I have the proper materials and a few questions answered.

-I need to replace the inner gaskets and outer. I am finding it hard to figure out the gasket sizes I need?

- Do I need butyl tape and where exactly does it go?I know this question is stupid. But I am confused on this.

-Are the gaskets something I need to purchase from VTS or can I find them at a local big box store, rv repair shop?

-Around the outer frames, what should I use to seal? Pra-bond, Valkem? Not sure of the difference.

-One last question I have is about the interior frames/screens. Four of mine are missing. Have you ever heard or know of anyone having these custom made or are they still available?

Thanks so much. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
No gaskets needed.

What is needed is Vulkem sealer, or Sikaflex.

Clean the gasket area.

Apply a nice bead of sealer that touches the clean glass and the metal frame.

If done properly, that repair will out last most humans lives.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote