Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 24
Sun Valley , Nevada
H e l p

I recently purchased a 1975 Argosy 24ft. I am impressed at how basically sound it is. It needs work - someone has cut into the copper water lines ? ? ? It looks like they have tried to replace them with plastic
The rear bath has some problems . need to replace and repair all of what is left. Have not tested anything except the propane supply to the stove (which works). Lots of items to repair or replace and work to do. Anyone with suggestions I would greatly appreciate - actually I would like to know what the finished product should look like and where to get parts etc. Thanks
radskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! 1976 was SUCH a good year . . .
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
PEX
Go to home depot, Lowes or get it all online. The PEX connector rings are the least expensive. Shark Bite connectors are the easiest and may allow you to salvage some of the original copper lines and fixtures.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I replaced all copper tubing in my '74 26' with PEX tubing and Flair It fittings. It would not recommend the Flair It valves, but the fittings are good and simple to use. No special tools required. I've posted pix on my blog on what I did.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome fellow Argonaut!

PEX is a much better choice than copper, it's more resilient in the event that it freezes. You still need to winterize to protect valves, the pump, etc.

Have you taken any pictures yet? Let's see some! On my Registry page you can see some photos of my '75 Argosy24, it's functionally pretty stock (down to the original toilet, fridge, range and AC) though it's had some cosmetic upgrades.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I agree with the above, PEX is the way to go. Before tearing out, check if the layout is original (mine was not) and find a plan of how it should be, then check for any modifications that might have been made by folks to improve the original. The PO of ours had installed an add on so that antifreeze can be added easily. I used the fittings that need to be crimped by inserting a protrusion (from the ring) into the crimper. If I made a mistake (and I did) I could just pry them open with a small flat screw driver. I also used the excess PEX and rings to plumb in my compressor.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Here is a 75 Service Manual and owners manual. I named it Excella but it covers all models and what not.
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
You'll have to wait 45 seconds or so then just click Regular Download. It is 35 meg or so.

I would guess that you'd want to go through every part of every system to see where you stand.

I'm redoing mine in Pex. I went ahead and got the crimper tool.
Not as concerned about easy or convenient as some are.
As for using the tool in tight spaces, so far I have found that I have been able to assemble sections of pipe so that I can install and crimp the ends of the assembly where I have enough space.