Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Grey tank install in '73 24'

I am looking at buying a 1973 Argosy 24 footer. How hard and what is involved in installing a grey water tank in it? Where can you buy the grey tank and what is the approximate cost? I would want the sinks and shower hooked up to the new tank.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Lot'sa threads on this. I want to do the same. Vintage Trailer Supply has a 16 gallon that will tuck neatly behind the axles and between the floor and belly pan. However, I know that will want more capacity than 16 and may have decided on a 25 gallon that will hang a little be low the pan. Plumbing it may be a little challenging but very doable and worth it.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Does the 73 Argosy have an extended frame behind the axles? My frame has an additional 7" C channel on the main frame members that provides room for a larger tank. In my little 20' Caravelle there is a 52" x 50" x 7" space below the main frame area. There was an original 15 gallon tank there, but I'm replacing it with a 40 gallon tank. I don't plan to run with it full very often, but it will be really nice to have the option.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Call me cautious, but what you are describing changes the loading on the trailer considerably. Putting a tank behind the axle is going to affect the tongue weight and balance. Water (gray or otherwise) is about 8 pounds per gallon so 40 gallons adds about 320 pounds levered behind the axle.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the tank is nestled close behind the axles the effect on the tongue weight would be minimal. Unlike the Argosy I own where the 12 gallon black water tank is located above the floor as far back in the trailer as you could possibly get it. It also has a grey water tank (12 gal) that is about 3 ft forward of the rear bumper.
That's over 200#'s when you add the weight of the empty tanks. And the majority of that weight is at the far end of the diving board, so to speak.
I retrospect, I think if A$ would have installed the plumbing in the tub at the other end instead of the extreme rear end of the trailer. A larger grey water tank could have been installed closer to the axles.
If I ever redo the bathtub. I will give this a serious look. The tub and galley sink are both on the curb side in my trailer. So the bath sink would be the only challenge. In fact it could be easily piped into the black tank. With no more water than is used in it, I don't think it would have a big impact.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I am working thru this issue on my '67 safari. I think i'll get close to 40 gal of grey tank. Finding the right tank configuration is a major challenge.

Don't forget the 1/4" per foot pitch on the drain pipes from the tank to the final outlet. I am extending my frame from 7" depth to 9" depth to make room for the drain pipe pitch.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I put a 35 gal behind my axels and it was fine. I don't drive with it full of grey water anyway. You would be crazy to haul all that. Dump before you leave camp. You can get tanks online here are two places
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

Page 3 - RV Water Tanks

Just find the size that fits. I am also putting another 30 gal between my axels. We spend at least a week at a couple of campsites with just a dump station. Tiered of hooking up to go and dump. I wouldn't ever drive with them full so it really doesn't change any of the weight on the trailer.

Also putting in another fresh tank forward of the axels. This one I will run water in, instead of the one right under the couch in the front of the trailer. That one puts a ton of weight on the hitch when full. You can also get a portable tote 15-20 gal. but unless you have a truck there is no place to keep it..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
I appreciate the concerns about weight back there, but in the original layout there was a 15 gallon grey behind the axles and a 12 gallon black tank all the way at the back of the trailer. If the original grey and black tank were full, I think the black tank a good 5' behind the axles would be close in leverage to the 25 gallon difference in grey tanks with the weight distributed from 6" to 4' behind the axles. Also, the frame behind the axle is really beefy in my Caravelle. It is essentially a 10" x 1" x 3/16" C channel from the axles to the tail so I think it can handle this. I too don't plan on driving long distances at high speeds with a full grey tank, but it would be nice to not have to dump or haul grey water as often. By the way, I am going to eliminate the black tank with a nature's head composting toilet, a very viable option in my opinion. If it helps, I got my tank from RVSurplus. I have some more details on my blog.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
As with most A$'s the frame in the back is not a support member in itself. The hull of the trailer actually supports the frame in a sense. When you hear about rear end separation it is because the frame has fallen away from the hull. Not because the hull has lifted up.
The frame is bolted to the hull thru the flooring material (wood) and when the wood starts to rot, the bolts get lose and the frame starts to drop.
Any additional weight at the extremes will magnify the problem. The closer to the axles the better when it comes to larger tank. IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote