Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Got my Argosy home!!!

I went for it!! We left home in NC this morning early and headed for Tenn. It was a COLD 18*. We got there about 10am after stopping for McGriddles and coffee. We had to help the seller empty all his stuff out (remember, he was using the coach for storage). The old tires had about 10psi each. I pumped them up to 30psi and recharged my air comp which I took with me on the back of my truck. We got ready to hook up and the WD hitch would not allow the bars to go in because the small pins inside were stuck from rust. We decided to pull without the WD hitch. We hooked up the wire connector. I only had taillights on both sides. I had one brake light on the left and one turn signal worked on the left. I didn’t know if the brakes were working or not. It 2pm and here we go, no WD, half the lights not working and not sure about brakes. I got 10 miles down the road and decided to pull over and check everything out. The left rear hub was too hot to touch. I had too much brake, it was sticking! I tried to back up and work the brake loose. I jacked the tire up and I could turn it forward by hand but it was tight. It would rotate backward fine. I decided to unhook the wire connector. Now I got 50 miles to go, NO Brakes, NO WD hitch, half the lights don’t work, 2 mountain ranges to cross and one very steep hill to go down! NO PROBLEM!! That little coach is wonderful! It towed fine, I didn’t need brakes or WD. We stopped a couple more times and checked everything out. The left rear hub was still hot but not as hot as it was. What a great little pulling coach, we are HAPPY!! I had to run my wife out of it tonight, she it ready to start work. Thanks for all your help with getting it here.
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Here are a couple pics.
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
With the weather forcast I'm glad you went today and not tomorrow. It was 22 in High Point this a.m. when I left the Oak Hollow camp ground.
I desided to cancel tomorrow and head home to Sumter, where I'm writing from now.
Hope to see the early before photos of the inside before you run the mice out....
Looks nice from the outside....from a distance.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Glad you made it back safely...a very lucky break

Mtnman I think you had some lucky stars and a guardian angel or two watching over you without brakes, without wd, without lights. Those pix definitely need the disclaimer, do not try this without heavenly assistance.
Its a beauty, you'll have fun fixing and camping in it for sure!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Congrats!!!! If you get half the enjoyment out of your coach that I have gotten out of mine in the few months that I have had it you will be lucky indeed.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Sounds like a great adventure! Glad you all are home safely. Enjoy the project!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats!

Glad you made it! It'll be like making firewood -- warms you twice. You'll have dreams as you're rehabbing and live those dreams in using it. Value both types because there will be a lot of rehabbing dreaming. They're worth it though...!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, mtnman,

You're in no danger of becoming the poster child for safe trailerin', but it's great that you got it home in one piece. I hope that you enjoy the next few phases as much as the adventure involved in obtaining it.

Does it have the plastic crest to the right of the entry door that says, "Another product from the liesure world of Airstream?"

They really meant that!

That trailer was intended to be towable, affordable, and comfortable, and they are all these to this day.

Enjoy your Argosy. It will be as good to you as you are to it. I've had a '75 28 since 1992, and it's required very little in the way of repairs and has held up remarkably well. These trailers are tough!

I hope that you'll be as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Got The Argosy Home

Hi mtnman,
Glad to have you in the neighborhood. I am below Morganton towards Shelby. If I can be of any assistance, please gimme a shout,
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
Hi mtnman,
Glad to have you in the neighborhood. I am below Morganton towards Shelby. If I can be of any assistance, please gimme a shout,
Kev
Hello Kev,
I know where Vale, NC is. I lived most of my life in Hickory, NC before moving to the mountains 5 years ago. Glad to know someone else close by!
mtnman
Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
You know you gotta share more pictures. Take a look at this, it might help figure out the umbilical b/w the trailer and truck. Your brake issues and light issues are almost certainly cable issues, at least in part. Sounds like a faulty brake on the one wheel, tho. And the lights have their own issues.

Well, I've lost the link to the Airstream Corp website that has the breakout for the umbilical cable. And, of course a search on their site reveals nothing. I'll find it tomorrow and try to forward it.

Did I mention more pictures?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
You know you gotta share more pictures. Take a look at this, it might help figure out the umbilical b/w the trailer and truck. Your brake issues and light issues are almost certainly cable issues, at least in part. Sounds like a faulty brake on the one wheel, tho. And the lights have their own issues.

Well, I've lost the link to the Airstream Corp website that has the breakout for the umbilical cable. And, of course a search on their site reveals nothing. I'll find it tomorrow and try to forward it.

Did I mention more pictures?

Jim
Jim and all,

Here is the link to the Airstream FAQ page: http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...#trailerweight

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
This is the one I was looking for. It shows how to wire the umbilical. Thanks for the link, Bill.

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome Aragosy owner. Always glad to see someone else who appreciates thes great coaches. We pulled ours home from El Paso to Chandler, Oklahoma, (750miles) with just the regular hitch and no trailer brakes. To tell you the truth, we didn't know the brakes had gone out until we noticed the read-out on the controller was off about Dallas, Texas. This Argosy pulled like a dream. Took it to the RV man and got it fixed right away, but towed it all Summer without the equalizing hitch or sway bar. Got those this Fall for safety, but had no problems without them. Hope you love yours as much as we love ours. Welcome
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Egads...

well, I'm glad it worked out ok. I'd replace all of your brake springs - I'll bet you find them broken in the back left. New bearings and packing I'm sure are on your list.

Yes, more pics please! I forgot to add, I like all the windows on the roadside that you have. I'm sure that is one rare trailer.. I haven't seen a Minuet like it before.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ok, I have had it here for 1 day and here is what I have done. I got all the beds out and all the carpet is gone. We cleaned the floor and all the cabinets out. I have it down to the plywood floor and the plywood looks real good. I have a couple questions:
Why does the box under the front bed hum so loud?
How thick is the plywood flooring?
How do you clean the metal walls?
We dont know wheather we want wood floors or vinyl, where did you buy your wood flooring or vinyl? I am thinking whatever I get I will get it from lowes Hwd.
mtnman
Old 12-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
The hum is probably the Univolt. I don't know as much as others on here about the flooring. Someone else can help you with that. I bought my flooring at a wholesale flooring store. It is laminate because of the weight issue with real wood. I do know about cleaning. Get some Marine Clean from the Por-15 folks. You will never find anything better to clean that sticky stuff off your walls and ceiling. You will love it for the exterior also. I could hardly believe what a great job it did with no solvents or odors. I'm including pictures of my flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	16955  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	16956  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
The hum is probably the Univolt. I don't know as much as others on here about the flooring. Someone else can help you with that. I bought my flooring at a wholesale flooring store. It is laminate because of the weight issue with real wood. I do know about cleaning. Get some Marine Clean from the Por-15 folks. You will never find anything better to clean that sticky stuff off your walls and ceiling. You will love it for the exterior also. I could hardly believe what a great job it did with no solvents or odors. I'm including pictures of my flooring.
Juel,
Your argosy really is sharp! Is that all you cleaned it with, Marine Clean? How did you get the storage over your front sofa, did it come that way? I see you also installed a door to the bath. Does everyone take out their little slide-folding-doors? When I said wood I meant laminate or something like that. Does lowes carry the floor material like you have in your coach? Is the loud Hum normal?
mtnman
Old 12-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Juel,
I saw a brad gun in the picture, did you nail your floor down?
mtnman