Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

good day all! newbie with some questions...

Good day to all of you. I have been searching for a travel trailer and came across this site. I have been exploring much here, what a wealth of information! I really like vintage but am willing to accept "retro" . I have to pay close attention to weights and towing, I love my truck and have no intentions of changing! I do know what I am looking for as far as floor plans go. What will work for me as a single guy and what will not. With all that being said I would like to ask some questions. I have located a 1973 Argosy 24' with a side gaucho. It is located about 300 miles from me so it is in a reasonable distance for me to go see. It is listed on ebay, it appears to be a dealer. There are many pics posted in a link, it appears all original except perhaps the carpet has been changed and an elec ref. From what I have explored it seems to be priced too high. It has been listed at least twice that I have seen. I am planning a trip to go see it soon. What things should I look for? I will ask that it be hooked up to power and water. I know to look for the obvious, floor condition, evidence of leaks but for me all I know is how to look at a used car or truck . I am kinda new to all of this so I would appreciate all your input. Thank you in advance. Jim

Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome! Have a look at this article for a wealth of valuable information:

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

The whole site is full of great information, particularly the vintage photo library:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Good luck with your search.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Trailer Inspection Checklist...

Hi Cowboyluvin (Jim),

One more thing I would add to Cam's response - Trailer Inspection Checklist.
You will find this under 'Forums'; 'Forum Hot-To & Support'; the first thread.Great piece of information to take with you.

Good Luck,
Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Jim,

There are several volunteer inspectors in the area where the listing is. You might consider contacting one to see if they would be willing to accompany you during you visit.

An extra set of eyes seldom hurts

Good luck,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
I highly suggest you take a seasoned Airstreamer along with you to help inspect the rig. jjustice
Old 07-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

WOW! Quick responses, my (cowboy) hat off to y'all. I have explored some of the info on various web sites. This one really is the best, y'all make it that way. I will print out the checklist, save me some time exploring every single thread and making my own list. The Argosy is in Charlotte NC. I have no clue of anyone I could take with me or to even meet me there. Right now, other than your help, I am on my own. Thank You all for the info!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Can anyone help me out? The Argosy is on ebay, just listed again #180535131072. There is a link there to see pics of it.

*The price seems high, yes?
*From what I have gathered here looks like new axles are in order?
*If you look at the outside wall at the range, one panel overlaps the other. Along the seam the overlapping panel is bubbled up. Any ideas on this? Out of all the pics I have looked at, here and other places, I have not seen this before.
*I see rust at the rear clearance lights. Issue here?
I am sure there will be other things I see when I go to inspect it. With all of the wealth of knowledge here what do y'all think? I understand you can only see pics but with my questions at hand what would be a reasonable offer?

Thanks to all for your help.
Jim
Old 08-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Jim,

Here's a listing for a Argosy similar to what you're looking at that should give you something to compare with.

1977 Airstream Argosy 24

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Wow, big price difference. Unfortunately it has the floor plan I like the least. I will be doing extensive travel and have to consider it will be my home.
I do thank you. My time is limited to find the "one" but I'm gonna hold out until the last minute!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyluvin' View Post
Wow, big price difference.
Yes it is.

Based on the photographs I would agree that new axles are likely in order. As for the bulge and the rust, only a thorough inspection will help identify the cause and extent.

Best of luck,

Kevin

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Airstream/Argosy shopping

One thing to remember is that grey water tanks were not installed until 1974 and later models. Carrying a "blue belly" is not difficult, but the blue belly eats up space in the tow vehicle or the trailer. My husband and I bought a 1971 Overlander about two years ago and just sold it because it was not the "right one" for us, even though we spent thousands of $$ upgrading it. The lack of a grey water tank and the lack of a dinette were the two biggies- we just bought a 1978 24' Argosy and we hope this will be the right Airstream when we get through with it. We are really happy it has a grey water tank! And we will be enlarging the dinette and enjoying the view from the dinette with those great front windows. Good luck on your new quest.

Kathy
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Jim,

Here's a listing for a Argosy similar to what you're looking at that should give you something to compare with.

1977 Airstream Argosy 24

Kevin
I'm sure glad I started reading this thread. The link to the listing you posted, Kevin, is one I've been interested in but the listing I found says the trailer is in Fresno, California. It's starting to seem a bit fishy to me. I just sent the seller an email asking for clarification on this. I'm betting I won't hear back from her.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
shopping for an airstream

Keep in mind that the refrigerator is probably the most expensive replacement item in the Airstream- IF it is a gas refrigerator. An electric-only refrig is a HUGE drawback if you want to keep your food cold while you are en-route to somewhere with an electrical outlet, or if you want to "boondock", ie camp without any hookups. To put in a new gas refrig can cost $1000 or more depending on the size you need, which is why some sellers or owners slap a much cheaper electric refrig in the rig when the LP frig dies. Good luck...

Kathy
Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I've gotten bitten by buying cheap. Not with an Airstream but another brand. And I had to abandon ship after a year of work and a bunch of money.

When I bought my Argy I was sure all was well and then put $5k into it. So even a good example (of which mine is) can need some work, so be prepared.

As to that one on ebay, I've been watching it sit for quite some time. I believe it to be priced quite high as well, but I prefer my layout to that one. I think it needs axles based on how it sits as well.

enjoy your search. If you are ever up in CT you're welcome to come have a look at mine for comparison.

cheers.

biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote