Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Fuse Block for 1978 Argosy Minuet

The Argosy that I'm working on has a fuse block that is in poor shape. Does anyone know where to get a replacement? I've looked around on line, and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for other than a fuse block. The block is mounted on the floor beneath the front gaucho, separate from the power converter, and uses the AGC glass fuses. Thank you for you help.
GLovedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
can you post a pic ? On my 34 footer the fuse box was in very bad shape. I found parts at my local rv supply and rebuilt it. Mine was in the front and was riveted to the outer skin in the front just behind the propane tanks. I bought a fuse box from out of doors mart 12 Volt Fuse Panel 55-8877 - $46.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone! but it seemed like it was going to be more trouble to mount. So I'm saving it for when I resore the 59 Flying Cloud

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you're going to fiddle with it, I'd recommend going with a more modern fuse block with the automotive-style blade fuses. They have a more positive connection and are readily available most everywhere. I have one like arodriguez60 referenced, a 12-circuit Parallax with a hinged metal cover. I have several "reserve" circuits in my '75 Argosy, so if that's bigger than you want you can probably find a smaller one. Don't just check RV sources, look at marine electrical as well, you might be able to find a compact plastic 6- or 8-circuit one. I found a 10-circuit one at amazon. It's under $20, it appears to be more compact but its exact dimensions aren't mentioned, I'm mentally scaling it based on the slots for the fuses. Made for a marine application, it's plastic with a brass buss bar.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I used this one when I replaced the converter/charger in my '74 Argosy 20. Worked well and allowed additional circuits to be installed. It is most likely available from other sources. I understand that West Marine has good quality fuse blocks too. I would recommend you switch to the newer blade type fuses, they are easier to get these days.

Parallax Fuse Box - 12 Circuits
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I had my 77 Argosy Minuet fuse block replaced by Frank's Trailer Works with a blade-style fuse block from Vintage Trailer Supply. It was a rather nice piece of kit.

Tom
Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So basically we're all telling you that we like that Parallax 12-circuit fuse block.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Post a picture . I might have one .
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

1977 Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
I had my local AS dealer replace the fuse block - they put a 15amp fuse in line for the water pump and another for the running lights. I'm sure thats not the "right" way to do it, but apparently nothing else was using the block in the front. Saves space / less troubleshooting, and meh...everything works.

Also - it will save a LOT of headache if you get the new blade fuses that have the "red light" indicator when they blow. A LOT of time saved in tracking down which one blew. You can get them at Autozone.
trailjanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Savannah , Georgia
Hello, Glovedahl,
I just stumbled on this thread. I have a 78 6-metre minuet and was having problems with the fuse block last week. Lots of people had great replacement ideas similar to those above, but I took mine all apart, sanded the contacts and cleaned it all with Liquid Wrench and a toothbrush, put it back together, and tested the circuits with my multimeter. It's working fine now. One circuit is not putting out, though the multitester says it should be, but I need just three.

Unfortunately, in order to access these works, I had to remove the dinette. Didn't want it anyway. I got a Studio Day Sofa (World Market $400) off craigslist for $75. It fits across the front, and the arms drop down to make a bed.

I'm working on relocating the eating area to the side where the sofa/bed was. And where the closet was. And where the water heater was. Planning to attach a table to the wall over the wheel well.

I'm guessing you solved your problem by now, so I'm just rambling, since I just became a member and am enjoying surfing around the forums.

Just Ginger
Just Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

1977 Argosy 28
Henderson , Nevada
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you're going to fiddle with it, I'd recommend going with a more modern fuse block with the automotive-style blade fuses. They have a more positive connection and are readily available most everywhere. I have one like arodriguez60 referenced, a 12-circuit Parallax with a hinged metal cover. I have several "reserve" circuits in my '75 Argosy, so if that's bigger than you want you can probably find a smaller one. Don't just check RV sources, look at marine electrical as well, you might be able to find a compact plastic 6- or 8-circuit one. I found a 10-circuit one at amazon. It's under $20, it appears to be more compact but its exact dimensions aren't mentioned, I'm mentally scaling it based on the slots for the fuses. Made for a marine application, it's plastic with a brass buss bar.

Does anyone have a schematic for this fuse block? I already got a replacement block but when I bought the trailer most the wires in the old block were disconnected/ connections broken. Is there a certain way to hook them all back up...

Help!!!
77Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I don't think there is a certain order for hooking things up. Keep track of which line is on each fuse and keep a chart handy. I loaded the fuse block with 15 A fuses and then connected each circuit up to a fuse. Seemed to work OK.