Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Front Window leak

My 78 Argosy 24' trailer has a leak on the road side pano window that for the life of me I cannot stop. I have calked the clearance lights, calked around the pano window, used Captain Tallay's creeping crack cure on the window gasket and rivets. I am at a loss what to do next. The water shows up on the inside lower corner of the pano window and runs down the inside skin. The antenna is sealed up real well, and the end cap seam and rivets all look good also. Anyone have any suggestions as what to do next to stop the leak?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
I've found it pretty challenging to track down leaks in the front. They could come from anywhere on the top front of the trailer. I had a leak at my front fantastic vent in my Caravelle that showed up at a seam just a few feet off the floor next to the window. I wonder if the front vent could be a possible location for a leak.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
This may not be the cause of your leak, but the symptoms are exactly the same as I had in my TW. Somewhere in the old girls life a front segment was replaced using explosive rivets and a peculiar white sealer. Water would also infiltrate the wing window and run down inside the shell.
Everything looked original from the outside until I started taking things apart. 70% of the rivets had loosened up. Every winter the shell would expand and contract undoing what I thought was a good repair.

You might not like this part.
I removed all the rivets on the upper seam and loose ones on the lower part of the segment and removed the wing. Cleaned what I could, squirted a good bead of Tempro between the panels and replaced the rivets with Olympics.
No leaks the next winter.

Hopefully your leak won't have to come to that,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
My front pano leak was from a pin hole (air bubble in the caulking I believe) in the marker light above it. Took forever to find it and it was my wife in the end that saw it while on the step ladder with the lens off, with the hose runningwater over it it would stream down the window in the way you describe. Then when she put her finger over the hole it stopped.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote