Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Eugene , Oregon
Front Window Guards

What is the going rate for the three piece window guards for my 7.3 Minuet? I was able to find a set locally for around $850, is that a good price?
Thanks
Bruce
bebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Front Window Guards

Greetings Bruce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebling View Post
What is the going rate for the three piece window guards for my 7.3 Minuet? I was able to find a set locally for around $850, is that a good price?
Thanks
Bruce
I am fairly certain that the price you quote is very close to the manufacturers' suggested retail price for the three-piece rock guard set. Unless things have changed, be prepared for the necessity of narrowing the center section as the Minuet is 8" narrower than the standard Argosy/Airstream. Shipping and crating would likely quickly consume any savings that you might find by shopping Internet sources. The only reports that I have run across regarding cost savings have been from Minuet owners who lucked out and were able to purchase a three-piece guard set where the center section was damaged . . . and that damage was in the area that would be cut away when modifying for the Minuet . . . the price negotiated was quite a cost savings. I happened into a deal where I was able to purchase the side wing portions of the three-piece rockguard from a late model Airstream that had been wrecked and the center section from another late model Airstream Salvage . . . I saved about $250, but it took a couple of months and some luck to acquire all three parts.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Bruce,
I haven't looked at what the requirement is for your 1979 Minuet is, but Out of Doors Mart and Inland RV have rock guards for Airstreams that have three windows from 1969 to 1982, for $399.00 plus $132.00 for shipping.

I added this to our 1972 last year and again, looked at what was out there before I looked at the year of the coach.

I know the other three window rock guards past 1982 go up in price to the $895.00 dollar range and could fit.

If I'm off, I do apologize, just wanting to make sure that you know that there could be other options out there based on the year of the trailer.

Best of Luck.

SL4BLLT
Airstream Rock Guard 69 to present 685250

Starting at: $429.95 $399.95
Save: 7% off

685250 old SKU3374 -This one-piece Rock Guard and fits Airstream units from 1969 to 1982. SKU:3374
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Airstream windows and Argosy windows are not the same in the years 1969 - 1982. The Argosy windows are larger and require a larger guard. You will need to cut the center section to fit the Minuet, a process covered well in the thread at the beginning of the forum here. $895 doesn't seem out of line for the plastic guards. Some are experimenting with canvas guards that may be less expensive. I would question the ability of a canvas guard to protect against a determined rock.

From experience, you don't want one of those windows to break. You either find one from a salvage Argosy (almost impossible) or you buy one that is smoke tinted from Airstream. Either path is expensive. After replacing one of those windows, I felt the plastic guards were well worth the money. Do what you think is best.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Airstream windows and Argosy windows are not the same in the years 1969 - 1982. The Argosy windows are larger and require a larger guard. You will need to cut the center section to fit the Minuet, a process covered well in the thread at the beginning of the forum here. $895 doesn't seem out of line for the plastic guards. Some are experimenting with canvas guards that may be less expensive. I would question the ability of a canvas guard to protect against a determined rock.

From experience, you don't want one of those windows to break. You either find one from a salvage Argosy (almost impossible) or you buy one that is smoke tinted from Airstream. Either path is expensive. After replacing one of those windows, I felt the plastic guards were well worth the money. Do what you think is best.
Sorry, but the windows that are used on Airstream and Argosy trailers and motorhomes, are exactly the same size.

Diffrerent sizes are available, but they are for different years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Errr. Andy, if you look at the picture of the '72 AS in the avatar for SL4BLLT the front wraps are not the same as an Argosy.Other windows, yes.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Errr. Andy, if you look at the picture of the '72 AS in the avatar for SL4BLLT the front wraps are not the same as an Argosy.Other windows, yes.
I only refered to windows.

Either I am blind or missed something, but his windows all look standard to me.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe it is because the A$ does not have the full wrap windows like the Argosy's of that era.
It's the newer A$ that have the full wrap windows, but they are tinted.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote