Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Front gaucho or dinette?

OK, so Liz and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary Friday night by having dinner out... out in the driveway in our Argosy!

During dinner, we got to talking about other "changes" that might be nice and the subject of getting rid of the front gaucho and building a dinette was high on the list. Has anyone here made this conversion in a similar trailer (1972 20' Argosy)? If so, do you have any hints on the process?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Got one but...

My Argosy came with the dinette. The seating near the front of the camper is cramped at the foot because of the fresh water tank. If I were industrious, i would make the seating run along the front on top of the tank and shorten the seating front to back. Same seating/sleeping capacity just a bit more comfortable in the seating.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If your Argosy is similar to my '77 Ambassador, you'll be surprised by-
- The univolt cover is HUGE (i reduced the size of mine)
- there is no support under the center forward section of the floor. This is where the spare tire goes and the floor is really springy

We just pulled our gaucho(s) and put in 2 recliners and a real bed. Photos are posted in 'has anyone tried this flooring?'

We are not what you would call big fans of the Gaucho design
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Thumbs up

Hi Bob,

I pulled out our gaucho and replaced it with a dinette. I have pics somewhere. I'll try to upload them tonight.

There were several reasons for the change.
  1. The gaucho was getting crowded for sleeping the 8 yo boy and 10 yo girl and they needed more room. I built up an enclosure over my fresh water tank and have a cushion over that to provide extra sleeping area. Total sleeping area is around 72" X 52"
  2. I hated the fact that I have these great big windows in the front and the gaucho faces the rear bathroom. It's much nicer to sit at the dinette and enjoy the view.
  3. I had to unfold a chair for a fourth person to sit at the supper table.
All of these are resolved with the dinette.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Gaucho, don't get me started!

Is there a Gaucho in your Airstream?

Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaúcho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!
  • Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would be been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.
There was this Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig. Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team packed into your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream community on a heated and passionate debate on axel replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion arm suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.

Now, despite my best efforts, a Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I do have is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia

Michael is a fulltime "Artist at Large" living, working and traveling 40,000 mi a year, out of his 1995 28 ft. Excella.
MICHAEL JOSEPH DEPRAIDA, An artist at large
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Michael, Have you considered professional help?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Bob:

I had a 2005 22'Safari with a front bed and I converted it to a gaucho sofa. Ron at South Jersey RV did the job and it was extremly professional in quality. You might want to look him up at SouthJerseyRV.com. Just picked up my 2006 25'International yesterday. Good luck.

Brian
Freehold
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Hi Bob, I've got my Argosy front torn apart replacing the floor, and have been wanting to do a dinette up there ever since i bought it 12 yrs ago. Maybe we can get something going with this thread.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Gauchos suck

They are uncomfortable to sit on and sleep on. They try to be two things and end up being nothing worthwhile. There...now that I've said that. Here's what I did with my '72. Ripped out front and side gauchos. NO easy task. Replaced the front one with a bed. My son welded a frame and I had a custom mattress made that is longer but not quite as wide as a queen. Queen sheets fit on it fine. I put a dinette where the back gaucho was. It has fold out leaves to make into a bed. Plus it folds up for storage. There is a special hole for the cat box in one of the benches. Also useless are the bulkheads. I ripped them out and it really opened up the trailer. I think Airstream FINALLY got it right with the FB models. You got great windows around the dinette and a more private sleeping area facing the butt of your truck. But until I win the lottery, I made my '72 much more useable.
Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette_side.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	50352   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette bench.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	50353  

Name:	Roger photo_front.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	50354   Click image for larger version

Name:	bench lid up.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	50355  

Name:	dinette bench down.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	50356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger Pic. back.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	50357  

Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Just happened onto this thread... Michael, you definitely have a career in comedy!!

P & E
Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Susan, GREAT fotos! Thanks.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.. We have taken out our gaucho in the front and put in to flexsteel sofas different measurements and did the dinette... used the same idea for the table as was in the other way for the gaucho... check out our thread Costalotta start to finish ..... it is there
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Argosy dinette

Bob,
Our '79 Minuet has dinette in front. We're both slim yet the dinette seems a little slimmer. The PO suggested he was considering reducing the table length and leaving the benches. This allows easier lounging and still sufficient table top size. Seemed a cool idea, we're considering it now.

We weren't likely to try and seat four at the dinette anyway . . .

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr
Bob,
Our '79 Minuet has dinette in front. We're both slim yet the dinette seems a little slimmer. The PO suggested he was considering reducing the table length and leaving the benches. This allows easier lounging and still sufficient table top size. Seemed a cool idea, we're considering it now.

We weren't likely to try and seat four at the dinette anyway . . .
Those of us who are over 6 foot and pushing 250 pounds like to call that "the diet section"... Happens ALL the time in diners around here...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Goucho to a dinette

I cut up the front goucho and used the material to make a front dinette in our 1965 Caravel. We love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB190783.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	50895   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB190785.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	50896  

Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
We replaced our gaucho with a dinette and have mixed feelings. Since we have a family of five we made a wrap-around and had a big table that can be used for the making of a bed. This table proved too big and cumbersome so we have decided to just use our "coffee/cocktail table" all the time. When it comes time to make it into a bed, we grab plywood pieces out of the truck and our big bed-roll... and wallah (with a lot of effort) you have a nice comfy bed.

The switch from the table to plywood pieces is good because we can ditch the plywood under the trailer for the day and not worry about it. (we really only liked the coffee table anyway because it allows more room)

I don't care much for the constant assembly and disassembly though... I guess I'd really like to find a bigger trailer to make into a rear bedroom... ((must be vintage (of course)) because five in a 24' is a mighty bit tight!

Here's a link to my pics: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...n-26932-5.html

So the pros for us are: The dinette can seat all of us comfortably and the bed is large (big queen). We don't have to store a table - instead we eat outside... or carefully on a small table.

The cons: The space up front seems small... there is no floor area, it looks like there is with a gaucho. (Floor area would be handy for our kids, in the rain, when they need to get out of my way to make up the beds- as it is they have to stand in the bathroom ) The bed conversion is probably just as time consuming as a gaucho- so that is just a con all the way around (IMO).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boomerang.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	50901  

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #17
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
We also changed from a front gaucho to a a wrap around dinette. First photo on left is before, on right is after.
Like Sequoia Coast, we found our table to be cumbersome. We're modifying the big table with hinges to see if it will stash better. I have to say overall we are pleased with the dinette.

We kept the gaucho, moved it sideways, and then hubby built benches over the battery and a dinette stand across from the gaucho. Our son sleeps on the pulled out gaucho and we stash the table at night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Original Layout.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	50913   Click image for larger version

Name:	New upholstery.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	50914  

Old 12-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Front gaucho = world's finest dog bed

Our Argosy has the front gaucho. It makes a great dog bed for our oldest pup.

Eventually, we'll do something about the gaucho. We just eat meals outside under the awning since the inside doesn't quite work for us.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
We replaced our gaucho with a dinette and have mixed feelings. Since we have a family of five we made a wrap-around and had a big table that can be used for the making of a bed. This table proved too big and cumbersome so we have decided to just use our "coffee/cocktail table" all the time. When it comes time to make it into a bed, we grab plywood pieces out of the truck and our big bed-roll... and wallah (with a lot of effort) you have a nice comfy bed.

The switch from the table to plywood pieces is good because we can ditch the plywood under the trailer for the day and not worry about it. (we really only liked the coffee table anyway because it allows more room)

I don't care much for the constant assembly and disassembly though... I guess I'd really like to find a bigger trailer to make into a rear bedroom... ((must be vintage (of course)) because five in a 24' is a mighty bit tight!

Here's a link to my pics: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...n-26932-5.html

So the pros for us are: The dinette can seat all of us comfortably and the bed is large (big queen). We don't have to store a table - instead we eat outside... or carefully on a small table.

The cons: The space up front seems small... there is no floor area, it looks like there is with a gaucho. (Floor area would be handy for our kids, in the rain, when they need to get out of my way to make up the beds- as it is they have to stand in the bathroom ) The bed conversion is probably just as time consuming as a gaucho- so that is just a con all the way around (IMO).
Tanya I really like the style and look of your round dinette and your cocktail table is very cool. Could you slip a piece of plywood with two front legs attached that butt up against the base when not needed under both sides of the dinette under the cushions and then merely pull them towards each other at night to make the bed?

I also agree with you that the tradeoff with additional permanent seating replaces walk around room.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
For more photos, check Pizzachop's photos. He did that conversion and may also have dimensions there, I'm not sure if it was his or someone elses.
Dave

Here it is...
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...imageuser=4331
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote