Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
We're so tired of the uncomfortable font couch in the Argosy that our 60 Ambassador when finished will have this leather double reclining love seat installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trailer couch 003.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	50956  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Could you slip a piece of plywood with two front legs attached that butt up against the base when not needed under both sides of the dinette under the cushions and then merely pull them towards each other at night to make the bed?
You have read my mind! I am hoping to make something like that work... you always need a project, right?! (And thanks for the compliment!)

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Would calling it a convertible sofa be any more "politically correct?"
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
P.C. is so yesterday...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Exactly! This is what I want to do with a Safari (when we get one! ) I love it! Kitty litter place and all! I love the dinette! Saving this to show my husband! Thank you!
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Gauchos, recliners, tables, dinettes.... Flexible design Challenge

[quote=Blu_Hwy_Lady]They are uncomfortable to sit on and sleep on. They try to be two things and end up being nothing worthwhile. There...now that I've said that. Here's what I did with my '72. Ripped out front and side gauchos. NO easy task. Replaced the front one with a bed. My son welded a frame and I had a custom mattress made that is longer but not quite as wide as a queen. Queen sheets fit on it fine. I put a dinette where the back gaucho was. It has fold out leaves to make into a bed. Plus it folds up for storage. There is a special hole for the cat box in one of the benches. Also useless are the bulkheads. I ripped them out and it really opened up the trailer. I think Airstream FINALLY got it right with the FB models. You got great windows around the dinette and a more private sleeping area facing the butt of your truck. But until I win the lottery, I made my '72 much more useable.
[quote]

Dear Blu - you've inspired me. I have the dinette in the 25 FB SE but as other posts have noted, the table can be a tight squeeze... not only that but I sometimes say bad words when I put the table down to make the bed and pinch my fingers. I really like your double hinges on the seats. Looks like you fold UP the bench fronts to make a bed. True? If so where does the table go? I've been thinking of getting a smaller portable table that I can also use outside and eliminating the wall hung monstrosity. Your solution looks very doable. Here's another thought; could you set up a front dinette to be flexible enough to be a front banquette too?

Brain is working now. Here is a thought, has anyone seriously considered making a modular unit that could be totally flexible as a dinette, bed, couch? It seems to me the one thing you have to have is a table with a small footprint - probably a gate leg. For seating, I'm reminded a foam fold out sofa that I had in the 80's which had two big chunks of foam that stacked to make the seat, and a big roll that made the back - with all three pieces sewed together so that it folded up to make a chair and folded open to make a bed. (There were many CHEAP ones, but I had a good one that lasted for quite a while.) My ex and I found that by sliding a piece of plywood between the upper and lower seat cushions we didn't sink too low!

The 28 CCD has a front sofa/gaucho thing... with a shelf with storage in it that fits under the curve of the front window... When I first saw it, my eyes lighted up and I said "Ah the liquor locker"... That would fit right in with either a dinette or a couch.

The front dinette is very roomy especially in a widebody such as mine - but still I want a table that isn't anchored to the wall or floor. I sew and use my computer and there are many times I just want to push the table to the opposite bench so that I can retrieve a seam ripper, scissors, or something else that has dropped to the floor.... me crawling down there ain't pretty... and I've knocked my head more than once on the table getting up.

Paula
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
The great debate. We have tossed with the idea for several years.

The 69 Globetrotter we owned for a spell had a great dinette with lots of room - see different table positions below.

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	55569

A great mod to that setup - would have been to convert the two singles into a slider system so that the both or one slide out to make an 8' long by 5' wide front bed. This 21' also had the double slider pull out in the back as well.

Name:	StateRoom2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	55570

Name:	AftSR Double.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	55568

The sliders used in this older model are still available from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!)

We have moved on from the 69 and now have the 63 - 2 foot smaller (hmm go figure!!) and its set up was two slide out doubles one in the front and one on the side.

We have tossed in so many different ideas from a really tiny dinette in the front to a tiny dinette at the side. To the Flexsteel couch in the front and a flip couch on the side...

I think finally we have decided to go with the flip couch on the side. We are going with the small L couch set up as in the new 08 Safari Sport. Instead of the slider systems they are using heavy duty drawer pulls.

Name:	100_1463.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	55567

The key will be to spend the extra money on the seat cushions minimum 4" with foam toppers and get a really good upholsterer to make them. The back cushions and angle will also make or break the comfort level.

(I was not totally impressed with the workmanship of the cushions in the 08 Safari - I have seen much better JMO)

As for the table - we have looked at the little portable table in the 08 Safari Sport - not a good set up - takes up too much leg space and really awkward set up in a small space (and if it is pouring rain and the two dogs are inside it will be a recipe for murder or pinched fingers of a different kind) and if Paula and I are parked close you could be hearing double the amount of bad words

So we are going with the recessed pilot aluminum pole system with a boomerang shaped table that will have drop down ends to act as a small cocktail table. Yet to be designed by Hubby - or is that my design and on the honeydo list - just too many things to think of.

Sorry for the older pics of the 69 - Unfortunately this past summer I lost over 10,000 photos so I have had to pull them from unsuspecting places....but I am sure you get the idea.

Anyway we did really like the new draw pull out system they are using in the Safari Sport - no flipping or holding heavy seat cushions and all the stretching and bending - quick system and neat looking as well.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
What to do?

We have a 1978 28' Argosy that came with the front dinette. As I am 6'4" with back problems we pondered on what would give us the most comfort and enjoyment in the front area. After contemplating many options we decided to open up the area, cover the water tank providing a storage shelf and placing two Lane recliners with ottomans that provided more comfort for lounging as we read or watch TV/DVDs. As for eating we use trays or eat outside under the canopy.
JC Squiers

PS I do not know how to post a picture of the recliners but if you are interested I would be pleased to send you pictures of the recliners or the restoration. jcsquiers@gmail.com
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote