Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Found one!

Now I just need to figure if its worth (to me) what is being asked.
Its a 26' '74 in what I would describe as fair/good exterior and poor/fair interior.
Asking $4500
New tires, thats about it. Bath needs replace, cabinetry "should" be replaced.
Water heater probably does not function.
A/C working
Fridge works, rust around door seal
Furnace works
Copper piping throughout, has had water breaks, evidenced by the stains on the visible sub floor in the cabinets.
Mouse infestation at some point.
Some black mould in sub floor under sink, not an issue, its surface and can easily be removed. White effervescence also in evidence, so hard water/scaling issues?????
Front windows probably leak, or have done, as they are VERY poorly caulked.
Here is a window and other pics
Your comments appreciated.
Am I being too fussy?

Bex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175-1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	102003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	102004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	102005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	102006  

Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Sounds like 4500 might be on the high side,have you checked out the floor real good? An ice pick may spread some light on that,also figure in axles,unless they have been changed. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Too high.... I would say 3500 -3900 would be more in line and maybe a little lower... What is the paint like? Are the endcaps rusted? Really check out inside the door on the right below the window.... Good luck
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wow, thank for the quick replies, I appreciate it!
I did check for softness in the floor and it feels solid. My concern there is that laminate and vinyl have been laid, but I did have a pretty good jump up and down and felt no "give", is that enough, without tearing up the laminate:-)
I really do not know if cabinetry is original or not. I guess if we buy it we replace anyway. I actually never did anything like this before but my two sons are eager to give the renovation a try so I feel I should get it and spend the time doing this with them. I just want to ensure (as best I can) that I have bought it at a good enough price to make it a feasible project.

Bex
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Check the floor around the perimeter of the trailer, look inside cabinets and try to get a finger, ice pick, or long narrow screwdriver into the floor right where the wall meets the floor. This is where moisture tends to collect, and then rot out the floor.

The problem spots with floor rot are generally under the front window, under the salon windows next to the door, immediately under the door, and the entire rear, both under the rear window and under any and all plumbing.

Be caeful, often times owners will lay wood floors or vinyl over bad floors, either in an attempt to cover up the rot, or sometimes simply because they just don't know.

But, chances are, just about any vintage trailer is going to have some rot. Sometimes you can patch it, but often entire sections of floor need to be replaced. This can be done and has often been done by simple DIYers, but you need to know what you're getting into so you're not surprised and/or disappointed when you discover the issues after you've paid your money.

You also need to see if there is any missing bellypan, underneath the trailer, in order to check the condition of the frame. If you can see it, then check for rust. Surface rust is very common and is okay, but often times frame pieces or outriggers have rusted all the way through, and those will need to be addresses.

Not trying to scare you, but vintage trailers tend to have a lot of issues. It's nothing many other people haven't dealt with before you, and there is a ton of help here on the Forums.

Overall, like others I think the asking price is probably too high, but at the end of the day only you can decide what a trailer is worth to you. Just keep in mind, there will ALWAYS be another so, so be patient, look at a lot of trailers if possible, and keep an open mind. Yours is out there somewhere, if this isn't the one.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'll say one other thing-- if you're planning a major renovation, then the initial price of the Airstream is nothing more than the cost of entry. Chances are you will spend several times that amount repairing/replacing everything that needs to be redone. Axles alone could cost you up to $2,000, and chances are this trailer will need new axles unless they have already been replaced.

All of that said, renovating my Airstream has been one of the most fun DIY experiences I've ever had, even on those days when I'm sore, tired, and bleeding from the work. Doing something like this with your sons will no doubt be an extremely rewarding experience.

Just don't be too quick to jump on the first trailer you see. Spend some time on this site doing your homework so you know what you're getting into. I STRONGLY recommend reading through these threads I will link below, called the "Major Renovations." They will show you all of the kinds of things you might encounter. Many of them are lengthy and cover spans of years, but that will provide you realistic expectations of what you're up against.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
I can give you some idea of cost for repairs since I just did one that was in great original shape. All repairs done by yours truely.

Furnace 22k-$ 580
Tires - $ 460
new foam - $ 300
upholstery - $ 260
faucets - $ 60
floor - $ 90
elec jack - $ 185
awning - $ 220
awn rail - $ 30
cooktop - $ 160
paint - $ 120 did it myself
misc. rivets supplies- $160

soooo $2600 and it had a new hot water heater, a/c only 4 years old, fridge worked, new elec brakes, glass perfect and axles were ok. I still need shocks since they are original and countertops replaced.

If you drop $3000 to $4000 in yours is it worth it to you?

Good luck on the decision.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the input and PM's everyone, I appreciate it!
Bex
Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It looks like an Argosy to me. I am assuming $4500 Canadian. Sounds a little high even in Canadian dollars. I think this unit is identical to mine. I paid $2200 US and have about $7000 US into it now. I have a few pics on my Blog of what I've done.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
TG Twinkie
Yes it is an Argosy, totally forgot to mention that!
Cdn Dollars, yes.
Looking through the info here I believe a "fair" price for the trailer would be around 2k
I really like what you have done with yours.
Did you build the dinette frame complete (not so much the frame but panels)
Have you checked your axles yet? Do they need replacing, it seems like a given that they do need to be replaced.

Bex
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
26 ft Airstream Argosy - Calgary Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

Here's a reno'd one in Alberta.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Lots of good advice here and I agree with it all. The only thing that I might add is to make sure that you buy the Airstream that has the right size and layout for you, because after you have done all your renovation work you will have to live with the size and layout. I sold a 24' Argosy because it had bunk beds and a front dinnette, a layout I did not want. I bought a 66 24' Tradwind with two fold down gouchos. The curved windows and real wood cabinetry in real nice shape were a factor also. The Tradewind was in great shape when I bought it, it had most of the fluff work completed. Now I am taking care of the mechanical stuff- new plumbing, converter, refrig and probably ac and adding a second battery and a 2,000 watt inverter for mw, hairdryer, tv and coffee pot.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
Actually this is the one and it's not even close to ren'd. Funny what good lighting will do for a picture.
The yellow is poorly painted original cabinetry.
I rather think the laminate and vinyl are hiding a poor sub floor, and its not finished too well either. The only thing in its favour right now are the (new) tires and body.
And the rest is what you have seen in my photos.

Bex
Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Actually this is the one and it's not even close to ren'd. ...The only thing in its favour right now are the (new) tires and body.
And the rest is what you have seen in my photos.
Bex
...and the ad has had over 850 views and nobody else has bought it yet! That tells me it's either way overpriced and/or in overall poor condition...

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Hi Bex

just in my experience - prices are always higher in canada - there are just fewer airstreams and argosys available and it saves you the hassle of importing... which really isn't a hassle and doesn't cost too much except the HST and some fees to import (<300$). It's just your time for travelling to view etc. Good luck in your search!!

redstart
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Bex,
Yes I built the cabinets and dinette, using red oak for the frames and maple for the inserts. The axles are right at the limit, meaning they have a slight positive angle. I'm hoping to get by for a year or two before biting the bullet. I will install new shocks this year, I'm betting the installed ones are the original.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #17
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
...and the ad has had over 850 views and nobody else has bought it yet! That tells me it's either way overpriced and/or in overall poor condition...

This AM it's got 1047 page views, but thats just for Calgary. Its also listed in Red Deer, Edmonton and a couple other Alberta Cities.
I put in an offer, we shall see.........

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Bex ... Good morning... Importing from the US is a piece of cake... only pay PST on the purchased price... no 300 fee... we have imported a car and trailer from the US and also sold our other Argosy to a person in Calif... no problems either way.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Heres the issue for us with inspecting/importing from the USA.
We are English, living as permanent residents in Canada (fully legal I might add)
We were not aware that our permanent resident (paper) visa was abolished in 2002 in preference to a card, which we do not have yet. We cannot therefore visit the USA without a whole lot of red tape. Its not the leaving, its the getting back. So going to the USA is not yet an option for us.
But when I have the card, just try and stop me!

Bex