Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Found my Argosy!! '76 22 ft

Well, the search is over, I found my Argosy! Thank you to all the so helpful people here. It's a 76 22 footer, and it's California made, just like me
It's got a front gaucho, and L-shaped sofa/dinette. I love that layout, so open.
I'll be having some work done on her before shipping it here. She needs new paint, so I'm taking the opportunity to do a custom paint scheme...just have to figure out what colors I want.

Now, I don't suppose anyone has a 1976 Argosy owners manual to share? Airstream wants $48 for one

Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have scans of my '75 manual and you're welcome to a copy of those, but I can't help with the '76 specifically.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I have scans of my '75 manual and you're welcome to a copy of those, but I can't help with the '76 specifically.
That would be so great, thank you! I love this place, I'm constantly amazed how giving and helpful everyone is
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Well, money has changed hands, and the Argosy is OFFICIALLY mine...can you tell I'm excited
Thanks to DKB_SATX for the manual, it was very helpful...but you're right, TOTALLY not worth $48
I also want to thank Mark Evans, The Airstream Guy...I don't believe I would have been able to do this without his help, so... thanks Mark!
Now, for some pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0396.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	159171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0397.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	159172  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0410.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	159173  
Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Congrats! Thats a nice one. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Congrats! Thats a nice one. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you! And thanks for the welcome
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Nice!
I really like the interior, vibrant.
Are you painting once it lands in Perth?
I notice its missing (or never had) the Argosy badge on the front, under the three lights, you might want to look for one.
Also, if its anything like the UK in Austrailia, the lights/turn signals might need to be modified before you are allowed to tow it, not sure if you know that. Just an FYI.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Nice!
I really like the interior, vibrant.
Are you painting once it lands in Perth?
I notice its missing (or never had) the Argosy badge on the front, under the three lights, you might want to look for one.
Also, if its anything like the UK in Austrailia, the lights/turn signals might need to be modified before you are allowed to tow it, not sure if you know that. Just an FYI.
Thanks, wait until I'm done decorating it, it will be so much more vibrant - very 70's Oh, buying it was just the first step. I'm having all the work done before it ships - I wouldn't trust anyone here to do the work, and I'm not capable. It's on it's way soon to Avalon RV in Northern CA, where I get to lash out thousands more on paint, and so much more. Then it goes to another shop where it's made compliant with the road rules here, THEN I'll ship it to it's new home.
I can't wait to hit the road with my faithful companion, Buffy the German Shepherd
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I really like the bare-aluminum window frames. I'm planning to do that with mine someday when I prep for paint, and have them mask the frames as well as the windows when painting. I've seen that one photos of one other Argosy, and think it looks way better than the painted frames.

That's a sharp-looking Argosy!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
I really like the bare-aluminum window frames. I'm planning to do that with mine someday when I prep for paint, and have them mask the frames as well as the windows when painting. I've seen that one photos of one other Argosy, and think it looks way better than the painted frames.

That's a sharp-looking Argosy!
Thank you, I think it's pretty sharp,too. I agree with you about the bare aluminum frames, I like the look versus painted frames.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Quote:
I really like the bare-aluminum window frames.
Thats what I did with ours. I went a little too hard with the paint removal though and now have to remove a few scratches. Still looks better (to me) than paint though.

So, back to the ccbrand, I guess you will be getting picture updates from all the folks doing work on your Argosy?
I guess we all hope you decide to post them so we can see what you are upto.

Will it be on deck of a ship or stowed? What precautions can be taken to ensure minimal paint damage in transit?
Are you going to fill it with spare parts?

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Thats what I did with ours. I went a little too hard with the paint removal though and now have to remove a few scratches. Still looks better (to me) than paint though.

So, back to the ccbrand, I guess you will be getting picture updates from all the folks doing work on your Argosy?
I guess we all hope you decide to post them so we can see what you are upto.

Will it be on deck of a ship or stowed? What precautions can be taken to ensure minimal paint damage in transit?
Are you going to fill it with spare parts?

Bex
I will post photos of course! I'll update this thread with pics as we go.

It's being shipped on the deck. In looking at options for protecting it from the elements, I was thinking of shrink-wrapping it like they do with boats. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to make a claim on the Marine insurance, but of course I will if I have to
Filling it with spare parts would be an excellent idea, unfortunately it's not possible. Customs here really frowns on that sort of thing
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
As long as they are declared, I dont see why the spare parts could not be included. Perhaps a heavy wax coat that can be polished our upon arrival, and the shrink wrapping.
I used to ship personal effects from the UK to all parts of the planet, Australasia included. Insurance was always a difficult one. Damage to effects, no problem. Sever storm and containers lost overboard were subject to a maximum loss value which was then shared equally between claimants, regardless of individual values. Not that I am trying to put a scare on you but you might want to look at that insurance and perhaps take out a supplemental cover.

I think this is going to be a fascinating thread to keep an eye on, I am looking forward to seeing it grow.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
As long as they are declared, I dont see why the spare parts could not be included. Perhaps a heavy wax coat that can be polished our upon arrival, and the shrink wrapping.
I used to ship personal effects from the UK to all parts of the planet, Australasia included. Insurance was always a difficult one. Damage to effects, no problem. Sever storm and containers lost overboard were subject to a maximum loss value which was then shared equally between claimants, regardless of individual values. Not that I am trying to put a scare on you but you might want to look at that insurance and perhaps take out a supplemental cover.

I think this is going to be a fascinating thread to keep an eye on, I am looking forward to seeing it grow.
I've been told that if personal items are inside, the trailer won't be accepted for loading...but from what you say, it might pay for me to dig a little deeper, and ask some more questions. I really like the idea of a heavy wax coat under the shrink wrap.
Ugh, I'm trying not to think about all the things that can go wrong at sea. I will insure it as best I can, and then try not to worry about it. I think what most people do is ship it in whatever condition it's in, and do the fixing up when they get it here - which I'm just not willing to do. Anyone I get to work on it here will probably never even have seen an Airstream, let alone grow up dreaming of owning one someday.

I think what I'll do is update this thread not just with pictures, but with all the steps in getting it here. It occurs to me that it could be a good resource for someone coming after me, looking to have their own Airstream.