Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Found a gutted Argosy 26'

I am considering the purchase of a gutted 26' Argosy. I had always thought I would find a trailer that was intact, yet needed a full restoration. My hope was to be able to learn how to put it back together while I was taking it apart. As a result I will be unable to follow plumbing, electric and propane layouts. The cabinets are also missing, so no opportunity to use them as templates. I am accomplished at all types of home DIY projects. I would appreciate your thoughts on whether I am over thinking having the trailer be intact vs. gutted.
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I depends whether you want to recreate the original interior. Without any origional parts for template this will be extremely hard. If it were me I'd probably not try and instead build my own modern custom interior, probably generally following the original layout.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
My plan would be build my own custom interior even if i had the original interior parts. Just thought it may be easier to do if I could see how it was all put together.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
True. Maybe you can peek at some new Airstreams if there's a dealer near you.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Short563 - What year Argosy ? We are about to start Demo on our 1975 26' Argosy (Rear Bath). We will be significantly changing the floorplan. I might be able to help you out with dimensions/etc....
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Floor plan mods

Hello DDOK - I am looking at a 1975! I am also considering changes to the floor plan. I like the way the 26U Safari floor plan looks. If I proceed with the purchase I would certainly appreciate your help with dimensions. The green lines show where I want the windows. The red lines show the current windows that need to be moved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	253175  
Old 12-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Just a heads up: Moving windows and moving bathrooms are both very difficult in Argosy/Airstream trailers. I hope you are prepared for a huge number of hours of work and a lot of $$. I seriously doubt that the end result will be worth it.

I am sure that at this point you think it is a good project, but way too many of these become discouragement after a while. That said, I wish you the very best on your work.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
What idroba said times 2! It always sounds great in the planning stage, enthusiasm wanes when the job presents problems you had not dreamed of. Was the Argosy you are looking at a victim of terminal renovation-itis already?

You might be better off looking for the layout you want even though it seems more expensive now. If you really get into renovating a shell, the expenses will likely exceed the cost of buying what you want that needs little work.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Funny you should say that. I was looking at the pictures of the two trailers and realized all that work is really to have a queen bed rather than two twins. So I agree with you! However, the trailer I am looking at does not have any of the bathroom fixtures which also seems like a lot of work to replace if having to create from scratch. Any thoughts?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I author the Northern Illinois WBCCI website. I can put a wanted ad on it for free. We have a number of members who are ageing out of the traveling lifestyle and may have trailers available. I PMed you. Give me your contact information and I will make it happen.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The problem with the bathroom restore or move is the location of the holding tanks and how to get the waste to them where they are now vs. the original location. The original Argosy probably had an above floor black water tank and a below floor gray water tank. To relocate the bathroom, you probably will need to have a custom above floor black water tank made, then fabricate a way for it to be drained on the opposite side of the trailer at the rear. Sounds easy, but it is not. And getting the waste to the gray water tank, again most likely at the rear, from the new sink and shower locations is not a trivial matter. Remember you need to have the tanks vented too, which in the original layout happened in the closets, but now you wish an open plan with a big bed back there.

You also need to think carefully about weight distribution of your new plan vs. the original one.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket here, I only want to head off finding some of these thing out later, when you really get into the project.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
To all who have chimed in so far - I welcome and appreciate all of your thoughts!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Why did the seller give up on the project ??

Are you in need of a pass time?

Is the frame shot?

Do you like Airstreams more than you like camping?

Do you have enough money to finish the project?

Do you have a place to continue working on the trailer when it is cold or rainy?

Is working on a stick house the same as working on an Airstream ?

Can one man compete with the efficiency of an experienced mass production manufacturer?

These are mostly loaded questions. Here are some opinions

#1 You most likely won't recoup the time and money you put into it
#2 It could take years
#3 If the frame is rusty, and you are rebuilding the shell to move windows, you are basically manufacturing an entire trailer.
#4 Most everything on a trailer that age is close to needing replacement.
#5 Even if you are a good mechanic, plumber, electrician, and carpenter…You will be doing many tasks that you have never done before.

That being said…If you already owned a functional trailer, wanted to keep busy, and had disposable funds….then it might make sense
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I changed my 74 Argosy 28' from a rear bath to a rear queen.
When I was planning the layout the plumbing, electrical, tanks could all be moved. I did not want to move windows and could not move wheel wells. I also left the refrigerator and stove close to original so I didn't have to move the vent holes.
I had two gary and black tank vents through the roof. Because I moved the bath to the center I only needed one so I patched the other.
I am at my max of adding pictures so you will have to look at what I have in my profile.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Is there anything particularly bothersome about this trailer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Subject 26.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	253188  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #16
TAG
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Somerset , Colorado
Argosy

If your plan is a renovation then you have a blank canvas. Leave interior walls / windows in tact and design your dream trailer. Start from the bottom up (axle, solid floor, wiring, pex plumbing) This will take a while to complete but that's part of the experience. I now someone will provide you a diagram of a floor plan, use it as a guide. Its an old trailer and new technology exists. Take your time and do it right. It might cost a little more to update but in the end it will be worth it when you start camping. Also, new upgrades will play an important role during resale. Do research, talk to owners, look at designs and have fun.
TAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
The cost and time required to restore a trailer is significant and even just getting an old intact trailer back up to snuff can be very costly and time consuming. The value of the final product can either be measured by pride in completing a project and showing it off at rallies and other events or by what someone will ultimately pay for the trailer if it is flip project. Pride can be a very valuable driving force. The financial side is a spreadsheet exercise. For me I would approach a project like that like any restoration or rehab project - get a number in your mind and then pretty much double it because that is where it will end up being in the end especially if you include the value of your sweat equity.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
If you buy it and change your mind I need a screen door for my Argosy. HollywoodBandB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	argosy profile.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	253189  
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Have a look at Smokeless Joe's renovation of his 24' Argosy. I couldn't reload his post but it's titled "Contemporizing-1976-argosy-d-opinions-please". A very good read.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
I read Smokeless Joe's thread as he was doing it and I have been rereading over the past couple of days. I am going to make a list of these major renovation threads so I can reread them all.