Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Libertyville , Illinois
After studying the photos and considering all of your responses I have decided that this is not the right trailer for me. If any one else is interested you can find this Argosy on the Pittsburgh PA Craigslist - perform a broad search across all categories rather than just RV.

Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Short563: Smart you are. Although my 1958 Caravanner is a 22 footer , I much prefer the older 26 foot Airstreams with a single axle. Tire technology is now such that you can purchase tires for 15" rims. Many such tires are almost "bullet proof". Likely you'll have to change out the 14.5 " rims for 15 inchers as I did. Original floor plans and systems all suck but the aluminum skin is better and the rigs polish up to a mirror finish (if you are so inclined). I will never polish mine.

BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #31
1968 24' Tradewind
Centennial , Colorado
Argosy / Airstream rebuild

I might be able to assist to a degree. I was a Director of Technology for an engineering firm, and had the opportunity to have one of my engineers create an AutoCAD drawing of all the systems in my 1968 Airstream Tradewind. I also took hundreds of photos as I pulled out all of my original cabinets, beds, counters and refinished them before reinstalling the. I have had 6 Airstreams and Silverstreak trailers now, and in my humble opinion, the original hardwood brackets, counter and bed sliding supports and thin veneer woodwork is superior to all 'custom' remodels unless done to a very high standard (which I have only seen done from the professional remodelers. If you have the skills to build the interior from scratch with hardwoods, to match the original specs, that would be great. But after $30k invested into my travel Tradewind, I would recommend selling the Argosy, and looking for a more, or at least partially complete trailer. This will greatly sped up your restoration and probably keep your costs down to a point, you won't take a bath on the remodel. It's the same with fixing up old cars. I just finished a 1967 Datsun. Boy, they didn't use galvanizing then and it showed. I will share the AutoCAD drawing (and I can probably make a PDF version for you if you sign a nice n-disclosure not to share it and only use it for your personal use. The AutoCAD design has several thousand dollars of design work in it. You can send me a USB stick if you want the photos. They take too much space to email. Probably 50GB, maybe more. Welcome to the disease. (I have 2 68 Airstreams Tradewinds now and a SilverStreak Emperor (33') that is just about to start its remodel. Radiant floor heating. :-). Jim. Colorado

jimflint07 is offline   Reply With Quote