Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

wilmington , Delaware
Question found '72 Argosy 22'

My name is Andrew and I am new to the forum. I have been thinking of restoring a travel trailer for awhile now and I need some advice/help.

I have found a 72' Argosy 22 in a local auto repair yard that I am interested in buying. I was told to make an offer.

What I know so far: at first glance the outside is covered in vines, tag expired in 2003(probably has sat for 5 years), the paint is shot, a couple small areas rusting, but not substantial. The wheels are rusted and all four tires flat and the hitch is fairly rusty. I have not had an opportunity to get inside yet and eyeball any of the interior systems, but I will soon as the guy who has the key returns to the shop.

I do not know anything about trailers/campers. What should I be looking for to determine whether it is worth buying and if it is indeed restorable what should I offer for the old bucket? It is sitting in this overgrown area, should I try to inflate the tires, hitch it up and drag the sucker out and hope for the best?

thanks in advance for any assistance,
Andrew
sugarfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up ...been thinking of restoring a travel trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfree
My name is Andrew and ...have been thinking of restoring a travel trailer for awhile now.
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. We are here to help. My advice is run, run like the wind!

No, seriously, welcome to the forums. I started exactly like you just a few years ago. My blog details my progess (or lack there of) so far.

The good news is that your door lock seems to work. That is a positive step in the right direction! You need to start by assuming that nothing works on a 35 year old trailer. You may get lucky and the appliances were taken care of really well and a couple of them may last you a few more years.

When you get inside your main task is to determine the extent of the water damage (You would be unusually fortunate to have none). Poke with an ice pick around the plywood floor at the base of the walls, especially under windows and near the entrance door. Replacing the floor is a big job. Search the forums for a complete list of items to look for and examine.

I paid $1,500 for my '74 Argosy-20. It wasn't a basket case but needed about $3,000 to be usable. I still will probably spend another $1,000 to finish the interior. The forum classifieds may give you a good idea of values for a variety of Argosys.

Please post pictures and keep us up to date on the project.

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #3

wilmington , Delaware
thanks steve for your reply

i'll try to post some pics before i make an offer.

it seems like fate for me... i have been driving by this thing for a couple years now and today when i happened into the shop the shop owner told me he would give me the damn thing just to get it off his lot. the argosy owner just moved to key west and was planning on shipping it down and now has decided to sell it. i haven't got a line on the owner yet, but if he is anything like the shop owner, i plan on offering him pennies on the dollar.
sugarfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Maybe he'll pay you to take it off the lot!

Welcome and good luck!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote