Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #1

1972 Argosy 26
Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
Fixing up a 1972 Argosy 26', Suggestions?

We have a 26ft 1972 Argosy trailer. It's been sitting in our garage for many years. We would like to dust it off and start traveling with the family. However, it needs some work.

* The end caps have a little rust on them, so I need to repaint them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of paint I should be using?
* I de-winterized the water lines and hooked up the "city water" inlet. When I turned on the water source, water started pouring out from the back bumper. Does anyone know what that was all about?
* Before we hook up the LPG, I assume that we should do some kind of inspection on the lines. Do we need to have a professional do this, or is there a way to do it ourselves?
* The outside access doors, like for the refrigerator and hot water heater, are loose and would fall off the first time we went over a bump. The previous owner used duct tape to hold them on. I think that looks really tacky. Has anyone else dealt with that issue?
* Ok, here's the big question....
Before we start hauling this trailer around, we would really like to know that the axels and rolling stock are in good condition. Is there a way to inspect them with out pulling off the pan? What problems usually develop under there, that we should be checking out.

I know these are allot of questions. We are just starting this project and I'm open to any suggestions and ideas that you all may have.
Thanks
Pneumatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #2

1972 Argosy 26
Question Fixing up a 1972 Argosy 26

We have a 26ft 1972 Argosy trailor. It's been sitting in our garage for many years. We would like to dust it off and start traveling with the family. However, it needs some work.

Before we start hauling this trailor around, we would really like to know that the axels and rolling stock are in good condition. Is there a way to inspect them with out pulling off the pan? What problems usually develop under there, that we should be checking out.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumatos View Post
We have a 26ft 1972 Argosy trailor. It's been sitting in our garage for many years. We would like to dust it off and start traveling with the family. However, it needs some work.

Before we start hauling this trailor around, we would really like to know that the axels and rolling stock are in good condition. Is there a way to inspect them with out pulling off the pan? What problems usually develop under there, that we should be checking out.
Thanks
There is an article in "Airstream Central" that will help you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
We have a 26ft 1972 Argosy trailer. It's been sitting in our garage for many years. We would like to dust it off and start traveling with the family. However, it needs some work.

* The end caps have a little rust on them, so I need to repaint them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of paint I should be using?
* I de-winterized the water lines and hooked up the "city water" inlet. When I turned on the water source, water started pouring out from the back bumper. Does anyone know what that was all about?
* Before we hook up the LPG, I assume that we should do some kind of inspection on the lines. Do we need to have a professional do this, or is there a way to do it ourselves?
* The outside access doors, like for the refrigerator and hot water heater, are loose and would fall off the first time we went over a bump. The previous owner used duct tape to hold them on. I think that looks really tacky. Has anyone else dealt with that issue?
* Ok, here's the big question....
Before we start hauling this trailer around, we would really like to know that the axels and rolling stock are in good condition. Is there a way to inspect them with out pulling off the pan? What problems usually develop under there, that we should be checking out.

I know these are allot of questions. We are just starting this project and I'm open to any suggestions and ideas that you all may have.
Thanks
Older coaches usually have bad gaskets on the exterior.

Check the entrance door, window and access door gaskets.

If they are original, more than likely they are cracked and will leak water.

Also check the sewer vent pipe gaskets as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fixing up a 1972 Argosy 26

Greetings Pnewumatos!

Quote:

Thanks
Checking out the axles and running gear does not require dropping the belypan unless there are suspected problems with the brake wiring. The condition of the axles can be checke and there is an article describing the process on the Inland RV website. If the coach has been sitting on its DuraTorque axles for many years without moving, they may have taken a set meaning that they little if any rebound left even though they may appear acceptable otherwise -- this can be identified if there is little or no drop in the wheel/tire assembly when the coach is raised to remove a tire.

When checking/repacking the bearings, you may find that the brakes have significant rust. If this is the situation that you find, it may be more economical in the long-run to install fully loaded backing plates that have new shoes, magnets and all of the springs and hardware included -- then the only other thing you may want to do is have the drums turned and shoes matched to the drums.

Having been stored undercover, you are unlikely to find problems with floor rot, and unless the floor of the structure drew moisture excessive frame rust shouldn't be a great problem either.

One thing that you are likely to encounter is that the umbilical cord will not be wired to today's standard. Airstream and Argosy utilized their own wiring diagram and wire color coding so it is necessary to keep this in mind when preparing to hook up to a modern tow vehicle. I have attached a pdf of the wiring schematic for the umbilical cord in 1972.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1966-81.pdf (9.0 KB, 114 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

1972 Argosy 26
I don't know if the trailer has always been kept under cover. It had two previous owners before we purchased it. I am concerned that there could possibly some rust under there. Is there a good way to tell if we have a problem? Do we even need to worry about it? I don't think we have any floor rot. It's fully carpeted with the original green shag, which even still looks rather new. I haven't pulled up the carpet to check, but should I take a look under there?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fixing up a 1972 Argosy 26

This method isn't scientific, nor is it totally conclusive, but it is one method to determine whether there is likely rust in frame members. Using a rubber mallet, firmly rap all along the fram rails listing for the sound of metallic bits jumping around -- obvious metallic sounds in any great number would rais the suspicion of a rust problem. You could also drop just a portion of the front and rear bellypan to directly ascertain the conditions present. While anything is possible, there have been fewer reports of serious rust issues on the Argosy coaches than on Airstreams, of course that may be a function of fewer Argosy owners active on the Forums.

The main places to look for rot are the places you don't see. Those would include areas under windows as well as areas near plumbing stacks and the entry door as well as near exterior compartments. Hopefully, you will find solid flooring everywhere.

Good luck with your preparations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote