Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

fixing the antenna

Price,

My antenna was stuck in the down position. I put a ladder at a shallow angle with a towel underneath to avoid scratching the paint, and my wife braced the bottom of the ladder. You have to get the little cover off the top of the gearbox. This is not easy if the screws are tight and the antenna is in the down position. I had to use a drill on one side. When you get that off you will see that a horizontal pin has not dropped into the slot in the gearhead. If you move the gear it will drop in and you can raise and lower the antenna. Mine was just covered with dust. Try a good cleaning. I would do this before buying new gears.

Barbwire
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy Mine is stuck also

Mine is in the down position and the handle is frozen and won't turn, push or pull.

With the rain we had last week I did find that even though it doesn't work it does LEAK!

I have no life, only repairs and honey do's

Do you have a diagram of what is inside???

Ciao, Brian
Old 11-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Skyliner breakdown

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...php?photo=1387

Parts list. Check out those prices (don't forget the shipping).

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...php?photo=1386

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,
Do I order the parts from you??? You must be using a real slow boat to offer those kind of freight rates!!

Seriously, I wonder how the adjusted for inflation prices compare to current pricing of available parts???

I wish I still had my factory installed Skyliner I have one of those "my favorite martian" ones that LEAKS, and does not extend well at all. Based on stuff I have read on the web I think I am going to have to go with a Batwing replacement.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The parts price page was too much to resist when I posted the breakdown. It is hard to believe a flat $1 shipping charge then when first class starts at 37¢ now.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
check out this link: http://www.mytravco.com/SkylinerAntenna.htm

hard to read, but there are parts diagrams and everything there. I was able to find a replacement gear and worm for mine. one of the legs on the antenna itself was broken, plus the gear and worm were trashed. I removed the antenna...trying to figure out how I'm going to remove the broken leg and replace. I picked up an alluminum tube at HD that is almost exactly the same thickness as the original; just have to figure out how to attach it. but anyway, once this jammed gear was removed, the base plate and crank handle was able to move freely.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:07 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

i have a good gear set, old antena for parts
ed moller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If it's a Winegard go here and down load the manuals for free (Installation & repair).

http://www.winegard.com/
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Unhappy Skyliner with antennae with electric motor

Hello everyone. My Excella 500 has a Skyliner antennae that can be raised by either a crank handle or electric motor. Neither currently works.

How do you approach getting on the roof of the AS with damaging it?

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Just get up there

Mitch - stabilize the trailer, lean a ladder against an awning rail or something else solid (to avoid dents), and climb on up there. Once on top, don't stomp around and try to step on the rivet lines. I've been on the roof of our '81 a few times and never had a problem. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Getting on roof

I use an extention ladder with a padded 2X4 taped across the ladder, this spreads the wieght across several ribs. You shouldn't need too get onto the roof as you can reach out far enough to remove the unit.

Don

PS Where is Windcrest?
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
How do you approach getting on the roof of the AS with damaging it?Mitch
I use a padded ladder against either aginst the awning cover or against the eyebrow above the door. Once on the roof, step only on the rivet lines and there will be no damage. Stay off of the end caps; first, they will not bear your weight and second, you will slip and fall.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter&Denise
Mitch - stabilize the trailer, lean a ladder against an awning rail or something else solid (to avoid dents), and climb on up there. Once on top, don't stomp around and try to step on the rivet lines. I've been on the roof of our '81 a few times and never had a problem. P.
I had myself and my brother on the roof of my 1977 Minuet. I had to cut a hole in the roof for the new A/C and I had to set the A/C unit up there. We did just fine and I have noticed to damage to the roof.
My dad used to get up on the roof of his 73 Sovereign. He was 6'4" and weighed 240lbs.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Skyliner corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
My Excella 500 has a Skyliner antennae
Before you re-install that Skyliner or a replacement be sure to do a careful inspection of the roof where it was attached. We have discovered that the base of the Skyliners can corrode the aluminum roof over a period of decades, especially in some environments. This causes leaks.

The corrosion is such that it is not readily apparent until you wire brush the roof to remove the weakened aluminum. See the thread "Dissimilar Metal Corrosion" for details and pictures.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
We're just off of I-35 outside of San Antonio.

Thanks to everyone for their great tips, I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
New gears worked like a charm

Thanks for the great tips. We successfully navigated the roof of the AS, replaced the worm gears and the antenna raises, lowers and turns like a champ. My next question concerns the motorized component.

There is a control panel near the front right side of the AS which supposedly controls the Skyliner. Please let me know if you know anything about this set up.

Mitch
Old 05-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Our '78 Excella has the same electronic control of antenna raising and lowering--but it doesn't work!! My Mom and Dad were Airstreamers in the 70's and my Mom remembers people saying that this feature didn't work very well back then, when the trailers were new. I'd like to know if anyone could get this working. It would be really cool!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote