Old 03-07-2005, 01:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
fisher regulator

my regulator leaks alittle and this weekend went to local trailer store which doesn't stock fisher regulators ... they wanted to sell me a 45.oo chepo one and let me deal with the mounting issues ......won't even talk about rebuilding one...refered me to a gas supplier ... went to him with same results even had the same cheap regulator hanging on the wall... and said no one rebuilding old unit no such thing when they go bad you just replace them

I went home and took mine apart and found them to be quite simple ... just a couple of diaframs if I could purchase new gaskets and diaframs I can't see what could go wrong ... I could go to the store tomorrow and by a rebuild kit for a carborator for just about any modle of car .... how come....

Old 03-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Good luck finding what you need. I had a similar issue and hunted around a good deal trying to fing a rebuild kit. My brother called the Fisher factory in the Dallas area for me and had a pretty long conversation with the Vice President of doo-dads and thingamajigs who told him that Fisher is now a technology-forward process controls company and does not make, distrubte or support the older propane regulators in any way. I belive this to be true and, convinced that I was well and truely on my own I fixed mine with some rubber sheet and Hylomar gasket sealer. So far so good.

I suppose an entreprenuer could spec these parts out of China and sell on the web, if volume was sufficient to justify the effort. Hope someone does, someday.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Oh, and by the way check:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=2546
for Andy's view that any tinkering with a regulator, even with factory parts, is borderline criminal. You have been warned. I just didn't want discussion to have to veer off in that direction.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
gotair.

We have new original fisher requlators.

The sales manager of Robert Shaw controls, many years ago said "as their sales manager, I cannot get parts to rebuild an LPG regulator".

To do so, especially since it looks simple, when in fact it is not simple, except to the eye, attempting to rebuild "ANY" Lpg regulator, is asking for a possible explosion, that will reach out and get anyone around the vicinity.

Your family and others, would certainly frown on that kind of exposure.

Safety is the issue.

If Robert Shaw will not rebuild them, then I don't think anyone can, and, guarantee everyone's safety.

Andy
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobechs
Fisher...does not make, distribute or support the older propane regulators in any way.
Which is a pity. I bought a "new" Fisher regulator from Andy last year, and have been very pleased with it. Fisher is an excellent name in pressure control.

After reading what Fisher told your brother, I now wonder how old the one I bought is. Although I expect to get several years of service out of it (my Overlander's orginal regulator, a Rego, lasted through the PO's use of the Airstream), I now wonder what I will replace it with when the need arises.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=Inland RV Center, In]gotair.

To do so, especially since it looks simple, when in fact it is not simple, except to the eye, attempting to rebuild "ANY" Lpg regulator, is asking for a possible explosion, that will reach out and get anyone around the vicinity.
Your family and others, would certainly frown on that kind of exposure.

OK ANDY, I'M GOING TO NEED TO SIGN UP FOR THE $20,000. trailer RE-DO
when can I sign up....give this little trailer some " BLING "
Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'm sure they make them

I'm pretty sure Fischer still makes the regulators, they just don't service them. I bought mine from a distributer (also a propane dealer) and found the model number I needed online from the Fischer website. My new one seems like it will last forever. Fischer also makes regualators for BIG gas piplines.
Marc
Old 03-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Fisher Controls

I can't claim to have any special knowledge about LPG valves but this thread caught my attention because my father retired from Fisher Controls (previously known as Fisher Govenor Co.) after 40 years, as foreman of their Pattern Department.
Chances are good that he, & his crew, developed the valves we use on our trailers. Any Fisher product, introduced from 1940 thru 1980, would have been through the Pattern Shop during my dad's tenure. He is now deceased but I wish he were here to add to this discussion. I'm sure he would have some solutions to the questions.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
gotair.

We will announce when the "make over" contest starts.

It could be as soon as the end of this March or certainly April at the latest.

We "will not" have a dollar limit.

Whatever it takes, is what we will do.

Appliances, axles, awnings, fabrics and so forth will all be included.

Andy
Old 03-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

YES, thats real class "NO LIMIT" just what ever is needed ... thanks andy, for all your free info..
Dan
Old 03-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
My old Fisher valve was leaking so I took it to a local LPG company, the place where I get my tanks filled, and asked it they would find a replacement. They sold me a brand new Fisher 966 regulator. No need to take the chance of injury or death with that old stuff, BUY NEW!!!!! I cost me, with tax, $75.96.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStream
My old Fisher valve was leaking so I took it to a local LPG company, the place where I get my tanks filled, and asked it they would find a replacement. They sold me a brand new Fisher 966 regulator. No need to take the chance of injury or death with that old stuff, BUY NEW!!!!! I cost me, with tax, $75.96.
Well, I checked camping world and at my local trailer shops they dont carry fisher .... so I ordered mine from ANDY I didn't ask how much ... but I can guess it was more than 75 dollars.. sooo.... you got a good deal... thanks for the imput..

Dan.