Old 06-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Finally .... Saw An Argosy Traveling

Yesterday heading East on Interstate 40 we saw an Argosy 26ft, being pulled by a Silver Toyota Sequoia (spelling?). The Argosy had an Oklahoma tag and was in fairly good condition. My husband was happy to see they were pulling it at about 65-70 MPH, which vindicated him somewhat for pulling the 31ft Sovereign at 70 MPH. We were heading to Lake Eufaula to check on the Sovereign after some pretty bad storms, so we didn't stay with the Argosy for long. Did honk and wave, but wondered if it could be a Forum member. Just have never seen an Argosy on the road, and frankly see very few Airstreams around here actually being pulled. Have found many sitting out in fields or in yards. At one time there were 4 on our short block here in Chandler, Oklahoma. Down by Shawnee, there is a mile stretch where there are two AS and an Argosy sitting out by houses. Never have seen them move.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I know what u mean about seeing other Argosy trailers Judy. We have seen only 3 total in the time that we have had our Mini. Once, right after we bought ours & were storing it w/some friends, we saw 1 for sale where they lived (thought they might buy it, but they didnt).
Then on a trip to a rally, on a back road, we saw an Argosy motorhome parked out front of a house. And finally, recently we went to ck on Mini at the storage lot we have had her & surprise! there was another Argosy right across from Mini!!! We hoped to meet the owners & converse, but it disappeared after a really strong rainstorm (appeared to have water damage from the storm) & then we moved Mini because we were getting mice by the dozens & moved her to a blacktopped storage facility. Its always fun to see them & note how they have changed or improved on them. Yours is looking good!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Saw another Argosy on the road to the lake just last week-end. Was a really good looking 24ft, 1978, just like ours. The color as a little darker cream color that ours, but other than that, it could have been ours. Not now unfortunately, someone or something broke the rear window out of ours. Now the fun begins trying to fix this. Lucky it wasn't one of those huge front wrap around ones. I'd be crying. The Argosy is right here beside the house, so I don't know how it happened. The entire window was in place but shattered. When I touched it it fell into a million pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01155.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	68618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01159.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	68619  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01157.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	68620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01158.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	68621  

Old 10-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
WoW! That's a bummer...could have been anything from a bird or a rock flung up by a car/truck/mower or ??? Good thing it was tempered glass...lots easier to clean up! Good luck with your repair.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
wow, that sucks! There is an Argosy at Colaw's, in the salvage area, don't remember if the back window is intact or not, tho. If you'd like we can check next time we are up that way.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Broken windows are something i am always concerned about especially having to store our trailer away from home! Understand about the relief of back vs. front wrap (phew). I sure hope it was accidental! We have been trying to come up w/plan for Mini to protect windows (want rock guard for front, but out of our budget for now) from things like large hail. We had our house windows broken right after moving here when a big hail/rainstorm hit. Know that hail could be potential problem where she is stored. Maybe you might need some kind of cover? Good luck!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm not entirely certain this was an accident. The trailer is not sitting in an area where it could get hit by a rock thrown by anything. It's actually sitting in the side yard of my home, backed up to the road leading to the house of a "new" neighbor from California. He's been down to my house several times telling me that the street that runs between our property is really his driveway and I have no right to use it. It's been part of the back way out of my property for about 5 years as per an agreement with the previous property owner. To make this story short, I just stopped using it and backed my Argosy up to within about 8 feet of the property line. That's when my window got broken. I'd hate to think my neighbor would do this, but he's gained quite a reputation in the short time he's been here as the "nut from California". I thought this window would be easier to replace than it's turning out to be. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Juel, I was cruising on Craigslist & happened to see this on an Albuqurque? listing. Dont know if it would work for your back window or not, but for $35. thought I would let you know. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

AirStream camper side window

Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
I'm not entirely certain this was an accident. The trailer is not sitting in an area where it could get hit by a rock thrown by anything. It's actually sitting in the side yard of my home, backed up to the road leading to the house of a "new" neighbor from California. He's been down to my house several times telling me that the street that runs between our property is really his driveway and I have no right to use it. It's been part of the back way out of my property for about 5 years as per an agreement with the previous property owner. To make this story short, I just stopped using it and backed my Argosy up to within about 8 feet of the property line. That's when my window got broken. I'd hate to think my neighbor would do this, but he's gained quite a reputation in the short time he's been here as the "nut from California". I thought this window would be easier to replace than it's turning out to be. Thanks for any help you can give.
I would make him prove that it is his driveway. Force him to hire a surveyor to do a platt of survey. I had a similar situation with a neighbor to a rental property we own. He poured a new driveway 6inches onto my property. I hired a surveyor to provide a platt of survey. I must say that brand new concrete sure makes a nice base for the wood fence I put up. I really relished in using the hammerdrill on that new driveway right in front of the guy. Always remember that good fences make great neighbors.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote