Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
Fiberglass Argosy?

Hi guys, I was surfing around looking for Argosy Motorhomes and I came across a 1984 20' Argosy Trailer for sale. In the brief description the dealer says it's fiberglass.
I thought all airstreams up until the late 80's, early 90's were aluminum. It's priced at CDN$3995. but that's only about US$27.50. Anyway, take a look, it's at http://showrooms.canadatrader.com/sh...03&Pagecount=1

Sorry, I'm not very computer literate and I don't know how to do a link!
The dealer is Holiday RV & Auto Centre in Redcliff Alberta Canada
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
It sounds like he's selling a "Squarestream". They were indeed fiberglass. I didn't think any existing in the 20-foot range, though.

See pic of a fiberglass Argosy trailer I spotted in Quebec last summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy square trailer.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	10752  
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbs
Hi guys, I was surfing around looking for Argosy Motorhomes and I came across a 1984 20' Argosy Trailer for sale. In the brief description the dealer says it's fiberglass.
I thought all airstreams up until the late 80's, early 90's were aluminum. It's priced at CDN$3995. but that's only about US$27.50. Anyway, take a look, it's at http://showrooms.canadatrader.com/sh...03&Pagecount=1

From the photos, first it's not a 20' as it has tandem axles and a very different layout than what was offered in the 20' Minuets. That would put it in the 24' length. Second, I'm not an Argosy expert, but that doesn't look like an '84 vintage interior to me... I'd guess it to be more like a '78 or '79-ish. I don't know how long the original Argosy trailers remained in production, but it seems to me that I haven't seen many '80s vintage Argosys around. I'd be much more apt to think it a late '70s. It is most definately a standard painted aluminum Argosy with steel end caps...

Kevin? Are you out there? What do you think about this one?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
From the photos, first it's not a 20' as it has tandem axles and a very different layout than what was offered in the 20' Minuets. That would put it in the 24' length. Second, I'm not an Argosy expert, but that doesn't look like an '84 vintage interior to me... I'd guess it to be more like a '78 or '79-ish. I don't know how long the original Argosy trailers remained in production, but it seems to me that I haven't seen many '80s vintage Argosys around. I'd be much more apt to think it a late '70s. It is most definately a standard painted aluminum Argosy with steel end caps...

Kevin? Are you out there? What do you think about this one?

Roger
I did not get to see the pictures of the Argosy but I do know the history of the name as it relates to Airstream.
Argosy production was started in Versailles, Ohio in 1972. The line was from 20 footers to 30 footers.
In 1977 the Argosy 20 was replaced with a narrower and lighter Argosy Minuet. This was used to appeal to people with the newer mid-sized cars. The Minuet was also offerd in a 22 and 24 foot version.
In 1979 the Argosy finished its run as a round aluminum trailer.
In 1986 it was reintroduced as a standard square trailer. It was fiberglass and it used an aluminum superstructure. For a year or two Airstream offered the same trailer with the Airstream name on it. Most refer to it as the "Squarestream". I have attached a photo of one that I have seen.
I am not sure when they stopped producing the square Argosy but it was before 1990. I think it lasted two model years.
A little known fact; Airstream made a square 5th wheel once as well. I have a photo of one somehwere on the PC. If anyone would be interested I will dig it up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	squarestream.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	10762  
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I just looked at the ad.
It is a 22 foot Argosy. I can tell by the floorplan. They only offered that floorplan in the 22 footer.
My gut tells me that it is a 1977. I owned one like it last spring. I had a gentleman talk me out of it in the summer and then I got my Minuet and now the Argosy 20!
It looks to be in decent shape though. Too bad they don't have the proper title for it.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Talking Argosy 22

That looks like an Argosy 22, which would be 19' in non-Airstream length. I would believe a 1974, not '84. The 1984's, if any were produced, were indeed fiberglas, and square, not rounded like the standard Airstream. If it is all there, all works, and the axles are good, that would be a good value.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fiberglass Argosy?

Greetings Warbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbs

The coach is definitely an Argosy, and it appears to be an Argosy 22 rather than a Minuet 6.7 or 7.3 Metre as the front lounge appears to have arms on both sides (Minuets didn't have lounge arms due to their decreased width). The floorplan with the side dinette only shows up in the '75 literature for the Argosy 22 with rear door - - I suspect that the coach is a '74 (one of the years for which I do not have the factory literature) - - it could be a simple factor of misinterpreting the VIN as only the last digit of the model year appears in the VIN. I have inserted a scan of the Argosy 22 page from the 1976 factory sales brochure - - the same basic configuration was available on the Argosy 22 from 1972 through 1977.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	argosy_20_22_24_1976-med.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	10763  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
It sounds like he's selling a "Squarestream". They were indeed fiberglass. I didn't think any existing in the 20-foot range, though.

Actually, it is bonded alluminum. And they were made from '86 to '91, with a few spill-overs and a few fiberglass "experiments' with very square edges, not rounded like this trailer.

They tow well and the owners keep them forever.

Don in Dallas

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon
Actually, it is bonded alluminum. And they were made from '86 to '91, with a few spill-overs and a few fiberglass "experiments' with very square edges, not rounded like this trailer.

They tow well and the owners keep them forever.

Don in Dallas
This debate pops up now and again. From the opinions I have seen, perhaps the Argosies had more fiberglass content than a comparable Airstream model. I have seen a few squarestreams, and have looked over, under, and around a square Argosy. While I can't say for sure about the Airstream, since I wasn't able to get up close and personal, the Argosy I inspected was in fact mainly bonded fiberglass on the exterior.
Maybe it was an aberration, or a "one off" special build, but it definately had fiberglass panels and a kind of gel coat on them.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I could not pull up the ad - "not available!" However, if it is a 70's model Argosy, it may have fiberglass front and rear top end caps. My '75 20' Argosy had these in place of the usual steel. They were extra-thick, very smooth, paint did not chip, and did not rust! Must have been a short-lived experiment because I have not seen any others made that way.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
the round argosy's were aluminum,and made from 72 thru 79.the squarestream type argosy's were from 86 thru 88,and aluminum.airstream squarestream's were from 89 thru 91,i've never seen one in person,so don't know if f/g or alm.they look the same in pics,so i believe they too are aluminum...i've had to prove to some people mine IS aluminum,by removing the light/assist handle by the deadbolt,and letting them see for themselves what the ex. sidewall is made of.just the facts
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Argosy seen in Quebec...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr

Hey...!!!
Funny... this trailer was mine until I sold it about a little more than a year ago. I recognize my chairs...!!! I was at a hot air balloon festival in Gatineau (near Ottawa).
The trailer is an Argosy. Only the front and rear head caps were plastic or fiberglass. The rest was aluminium.
I still have a 6-metre Minuet. This latter is also all aluminium except the two pieces mentioned above which are, in this case, steel.
adore is offline   Reply With Quote