Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Exterior paint, Argosy

Feedback re exterior paint: As a result of this super fine bunch of folks who answer questions, I found a message about the type of paint for Argosy trailers. I had tried a sample from a local specialized auto parts supplier and it was not quite right. Then I read to get: Wembledon White which was used on Fords in the 60s and 70s...and got it...a Dupont IMRON paint. Just beautiful and exactly the right color...off off white, tinge of yellow or tan. Expensive, but doing it ourselves, not bad. Cost here was about $50 per quart plus extra for the Activator. Thanks to those who help us out.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We'd love to see the pictures, maybe even before and after. You took on quite a project, painting your Argosy yourself! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Dan, I just finished our Argosy last year (see Costalotta Start to Finish) and that is the paint I used on this trailer and one we owned a few years ago. I used a primer made by Dupont also that is called DTM direct to metal it is good for aluminum and good for the galvanized steel also and of course it is expensive too. Just be sure to sand around the rivets good I used a wire brush on a wheel and then feathered with a DA.

Good Luck with your trailer. Want to see some pictures.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Hi Dan, We're geting ready to paint our 76 Argosy this summer. How much paint to anticipate it will take? I would love to do it in Imron,but I may have to stick with Centari due to cost. How do you plan to apply the imron, it is very toxic. Supplied air required. I assume you have a spray booth large enough. Any pictures yet? George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Argosy paint

I am only mentioning this as "food for thought", but I painted the end caps and another panel on my brothers 1977 28' Argosy w Rustoleum. Paint was $40 gallon and needed less than two.

Used a sprayer from the same hardware store where we bought the paint. Mixed the paint one part laquer thinner/three parts paint.

Reason for the low budget was the trailer is being used for work residence and I picked it up for $1000. The previous owners had painted part of the Argosy w silver paint and painted "AIRSTREAM" in letters on the tail light valence.

Looks very good now but not even a year on the paint job so far. It will be interesting to see how it lasts.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
WINDSOR , Ontario
We are almost ready to get the wembleton white on the '73 argosy 22ft and adding a Royal blue to the lower edge and tonque and rear bumper assembly. Should be out of the shop next week. Will post pics. Does anyone find they need air in Southern Ontario? We have the Armstrong air cond but dont want to cut a new hole and not sure if the wiring is there anyway. Local dealer wanted me to make it a wanna bee airstream and paint it silver. Ahhhhhh!!
MAVERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
I am looking forward to seeing your results. My Argosy is in need of paint this year too and I'm thinking about doing it myself as well. Good Luck and post some pictures when you have a chance.
~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Mystic , Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to woodysdad
hello out there I've just started the prep work, I will be painting my 28' argosy moho 1977 (these past few days) I'm going all out ,the full monty.........with POR 15 3 step rust treatment on any and all metal other than alum, scuffing all alum, removed the bumpers, light bezels, new window seals , new caulk on the windshield removed most everything I possibly can (whew) its lots of work but lots of fun too, and I get to choose my colors..........I'm thinking two-tone maybe some shade of white on upper half, maybe some sort of green on lower, kind of like a 50's vintage bus? oh yea, I took off the beltline trim pieces..........if anyone has any ideas about colors or anything . please let me know thanks
woodysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Dan, How much paint did it take to cover your minuet? G
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I just had my 1975 Argosy 24 ft painted...all one color...the
color is Toyota SuperWhite II #040....the mfg of the paint is
Sherwin William..Genesis(Automotive finishes)...it ran about
$200 per gallon(paint, activator,hardener). Three gallons from
hitch coupler(lp tanks also) to the rear bumper. It isn't a small
job. The mono color of the trailer will be broken up by the rub-rail
and beltine using new blue insert material. Also, the coach has
front, rear, and patio awning with new material. My wife took the
two alum Argosy emblems, stripped them, and hand painted "denim
blue" in the bottom of the lettering with enamel and baked the paint
in our oven. I know we all love photo's...they will be posted soon.
My Argosy is not the best nor perfect...we like it ALOT....and yes...
that bugger is SUPER-WHITE 2.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote