Old 04-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #1

1973 27' Overlander
North Waterboro , Maine
Ever see an aluminum-skinned ARGOSY?!

Hey guys/gals,

Wife and I are looking to buy a 1972 Airstream Argosy 22. Thing is, it's skin is aluminum, or appears to be from the photo's and I can't find any references to that. Most Argosy's seem to be painted, at least I thought so.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

Also wondering if these hold their value like the AirStreams of similar year?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ever see an aluminum-skinned ARGOSY?!

Greetings Mattheau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattheau View Post
Hey guys/gals,

Wife and I are looking to buy a 1972 Airstream Argosy 22. Thing is, it's skin is aluminum, or appears to be from the photo's and I can't find any references to that. Most Argosy's seem to be painted, at least I thought so.
All of the first generation Argosy travel trailers are aluminum with the exception of the front and rear domes which are galvanized steel. In the years since they were produced, owners have painted them nearly every color of the rainbow, and some have polished the aluminum and painted the domes silver metallic. Most Argosy followers aren't overly picky about the color -- rather it is the quality of the finish that is generally more important.

Quote:
Also wondering if these hold their value like the AirStreams of similar year?

Thanks.
Generally, the Argosys, particularly the shorter models, hold their value as well as comarable model and length Airstreams. The values do, however, tend to be a bit less than comparable era Airstreams in comparable condition. The Minuet series may be one exception as they seem to be continually gaining in popularity.

The biggest difference between similar era Airstreams and Argosys of the same size will be in the level of optional equipment/accessories. Depending upon your preference, the Argosy had the advantage of the deep wrap front wing windows that wouldn't become available on Airstream coaches for several years. Argosys typically had a less well-rounded list of standard features than the comparable Airstream, and the interior fabrics may have been a bit more mundane. Quality and methods of construction, however, were nearly identical.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

1973 27' Overlander
North Waterboro , Maine
Can it be Mirrored?

Thanks for the response Kevin.

You said something that I'm curious about though; can I polish the skin of my Argosy to that nice mirror finish on some of the classic Airstreams I see? I was actually kind of bummed when I learned that it was painted, as the pics seemed to look otherwise. After some research though, I can only assume that the paint used is a gray/metallic color. I just love the mirrored polish of the aluminum A/S's, so that's what I'd hope to be able to achieve.

I'm relatively new to the A/S world, so apologies for any 'obvious' wuestions I may be asking.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Quote:
<snip>can I polish the skin of my Argosy to that nice mirror finish on some of the classic Airstreams I see?
Yes they can be polished, EXCEPT for the domed end caps. They are steel and have to be painted or else they rust. The rest of the trailer is made from the same aluminum as a "normal" Airstream.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #5

1973 27' Overlander
North Waterboro , Maine
Thanks Shari. I'm assuming the domed 'end caps' are the rounded sections, so now I'm wondering how ridiculous a 22' trailer might look with the big ends painted and just a small portion of it mirrored. Good to know though, thank you very much.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
The Argosy's that have been stripped and polished look darn good. The owners have just painted the steel end caps to match (as close as possible). I like that our Minuet is painted - no need to polish. We've do enough of that on our 1993 Airstream which was stripped due to complete clearcoat failure.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
I to originally wanted that mirror finish following me down the road. But due to a lack of funds the Argosy route seamed to be a good compromise. After hearing about the polishing stories I started feeling better about paint. Paint it once or polish forever, your choice. As for me, I could not be happier.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
my neighbor used to work in service jackson center told me argosys were made with aluminum that as uses but rejected because of finish so painted and used. Should not be problem polishing farmer bill
Old 04-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
follow up on argosys, also said left over interior as parts were used in argosy I also had argosy 26ft that I traded for 76 as 31 ft sov. very nice coach farmer bill
Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You can paint the entire Argosy silver. I have seen several painted that way, and they look nice. While they aren't "mirror finish", they look good, and there is the benefit to waxing them yearly, versus polishing every 90 days or so to keep the mirror look alive.