Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Elsa's Pride

Thanks to the airforums.com classifieds, Liz and I have found the perfect trailer for our needs, a 1972 Argosy 20'. We'll be going to Bat Cave around the end of the month to pick her up and tow her home. While we haven't seen the trailer up close and personal yet, we have seen enough photos and read sufficient history (Thanks Terry!) to know that she's exactlly the rig we've wanted. We came up with a name for her this morning - Elsa's Pride, in honor of my wife's late mother. It's fitting really, Argosy meaning a flotilla of merchant ships (and this will be the second trailer in the driveway) and pride as in "pride of lions" goes well with our 11 cats!

We're now in the planning phase for the final fix ups - replace the carpet with Pergo, and Liz has been shopping for fabric for new curtains and the gaucho cushions. My job is to research paint for the exterior. We plan on having the upper half shot in a medium cream and the lower half shot in a dark burgandy. I no longer have access to a spray booth (and I really don't want to paint it myself anyway), so in the spring, we'll be farming out the job to a local shop that regularly handles box truck sized vehicles.

I wish we could get away sooner to pick up the trailer, the suspense is killing me...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Gee, I was hoping you'd stick with "Old Rivets", you know it's bad luck to change the name of a ship...
How about "Old Ironends"?...
Seriously, good luck with your new trailer, I hope you have as much fun with it as we did.
BTW, wasn't Elsa the Female lion that was chronicled in "Born Free"?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Congratulations Liz and Bob. I like the Argosy's and the fact that it's "legal" to paint them, as well as their size is great for towing and floor plans are very functional. Look forward to PICTURES!

I'm also a sucker for vintage. Heck, everything in my life is vintage, although when I tell Donna that includes her I need to be saying it just as the door is closing and I'm on the locking side. But there's just something endearing about the Argosy, and maybe it's because they don't make that model anymore, that appeals strongly to me. I keep thinking of one done in colors to match the Safari.......

Barry
Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congratulations on Elsa's Pride...that's great...you'ge gonna have a blast with it...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Look forward to PICTURES!

Barry
Here's a teaser picture, taken by fellow forums member TomW at a forums rally:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profilepic8042_2.gif.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	45000  
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Also, this trailer is one of the reasons Argosy trailers were considered a test bed for Airstream products. It has rimless front and rear windows, with no frames. This feature was not seen on another production Airstream until sometime in the 80's. I have also not seen another Argosy with these type of windows since.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Here's a teaser picture, taken by fellow forums member TomW at a forums rally:
Thanks Terry. It looks like a "good one". It is always a treat when a fellow Forums member helps another find a trailer to fit their needs. Good old fashioned neighborly help.

Barry