Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
drain valve on fresh water tank: '79 Argosy 6.0

In the realm of dumb questions: For the first time, I decided to sanitize my fresh water tank. Filled it half full. Decided to drain. The small plastic valve (under the roadside seat) turns well...but no direction seems to open the drain. I know it must have been used previously as there is new plastic drain hose through the underbelly. I ran a brush up the hose and it is clear. Any ideas out there will be more than welcome. If there is some sort of screen inside the tank, maybe it is clogged up, but I doubt it. Thanks a lot. As usual, I am counting on you 'forum'!!!

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
drain valve on fresh water tank: 79Argosy6.0

Greetings Dan!

It may not be the valve, rather the drain tube that goes through the floor and exits the bellypan may be partially or fully blocked. Spiders, mud daubers, and their relatives like to frequent that tube; and it may also accummulate road spray as well in some environments. Even when working properly, the drain on the tank in my Minuet is VERY slow -- much slower than my Overlander which has a brass valve assembly. I belive that the valve is supposed to be a 1/2 turn valve -- without double-checking my coach, I believe that the valve is open when the lever is parallel with the drain line. It can also help to open the fill drawer to permit greater access to pressure relief/venting.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Thanks Kevin: I had already brushed out the outlet tube and it is clean. Also, no one position of the valve handle allows the water to drain at all. I just get "drip, drip, drip". I think it might be some foreign matter stuck in the valve itself. If so, I can either siphon out the cleaning water....or run the pump and dump it that way. I am stumped. Thanks again, Dan

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I got a clogged drain working again by using "low pressure air". By that I mean I taped a section of tubing to the end of the drain line and blew (opposite of siphon) by mouth into it. I guess I broke up some calcium or hard water deposits near or in the valve. It drained much better and after several rinsings was ready to be sanitized with chlorine. You could probably use compressed air "gently". I would capture and inspect the drainings from your tank. Your next step will depend on what you find.
Worth a try, and the price is right.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Wow! Thank goodness for the Forum and especially for guys like you, Sam, and Kevin. I will try the idea of air pressure, as I know the line is clear, having used a brush and a wire (which I can see from inside).
I did put city water in my lines, filled the hot water tank, and then disconnected the shorepower. Used the pump and emptied most of the tank that way for now.
I have a question (another one from an unlearned person!)....I ran the pump on battery, with shore power off and city water off. Water ran well for sure. Turned pump off and water runs as well as it did with the pump on. Is there something I am missing here? I thought the water would not run without shorepower unless the pump was running. Was all that pressure from "pre built up pressure",,,e.g. in the hot water tank or what???? I sure do need educating!!! Thanks, Dan

Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
OK...I hope you guys didn't laugh your heads off with my last post ...and I am not drinking!! I simply forgot that I DID have the city water pressure on all the time...so there. Stupid is as stupid does. Dan

Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
OK...I hope you guys didn't laugh your heads off with my last post ...and I am not drinking!! I simply forgot that I DID have the city water pressure on all the time...so there. Stupid is as stupid does. Dan
I don't think having the city water on would affect draining the tank. So what's the rest of the story? With the city water off does she drain?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
drain valve on fresh water tank: 79Argosy6.0

Greetings Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
Thanks Kevin: I had already brushed out the outlet tube and it is clean. Also, no one position of the valve handle allows the water to drain at all. I just get "drip, drip, drip". I think it might be some foreign matter stuck in the valve itself. If so, I can either siphon out the cleaning water....or run the pump and dump it that way. I am stumped. Thanks again, Dan
One thing you might try if you suspect hard water deposits partially blocking the valve would be to get as much of the sanitizing solution out as possible and then pour in one gallon of white vinegar and allow it to drip through the valve for 24 to 48 hours or until the vinegar has drained out -- this is a possiblility and if it works, generic white vinegar is usually quite inexpensive -- may be less than a new valve.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote