Old 09-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have been a member of WBCCI for 6 years now. Argosy's and their owners are certainly welcome and appreciated in the club. Can not speak for what might have been in the distant past or what some old member might have said on the side. Argosy is fully accepted in the club and very welcome. The few times I have seen Argosy trailers in a campground the reaction is that everybody in the Caravan lined up to go look at the Argosy and to talk to the owners. To read this forum you would think the WBCCI is a bad thing. Not so. Extremely pleasant organization, good local rallies, good caravans. Maybe I like it because I do not want to run it so I am not fustrated. Going on a rally this weekend. Lake, campground, pontoon boats, food, and 30 or so trailers. How could it get better?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Thank you all for the interesting and provocative replies. Somehow, time seems to have leveled the playing field as far as the interiors go in the vintage silver and painted rigs. The same poor design decisions are evident in both: pseudo "double" beds that are 46" wide, dining arrangements in the front-gaucho models that were less than optimal (with the folding pull-out tables), and storage space that can hardly be considered adequate. The differences in the appliances between the "middling" sort and the higher end ones is irrelevant with the ravages of time, and I have grown fond of the lack of a rear storage compartment in our Argosy--the bad design invited water infiltration and damage to our '72 silver Airstream and to many others'. I can't deny that the silver ones have a universal appeal... But I LOVE those front Argosy windows!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Interesting how a non AS can be welcome in the club when a MH with AS on it would not, even if approved by the factory. jim
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Interesting how a non AS can be welcome in the club when a MH with AS on it would not, even if approved by the factory. jim
Airstream-branded motorhomes, even the slab-sided modern ones, are indeed welcome in the club. The controversy was over allowing non-Airstream branded mohos (since AS stated they had essentially no intention to build a new full-size moho) in the club.

Is that the same situation as Argosy? I don't think so, given Argosy was built by Airstream in an Airstream-owned factory with essentially Airstream design and engineering. Not sure if getting a moho from another Thor division that shares nothing with the rest of the AS line is the same...

Tom
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Wow, that sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Interesting comment to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I can't even think of how I'd respond to that. I know it would probably qualify me for a grievance, if not the need for a lawyer.
Yes, the comment came from an early-80's-year old woman that looked like she wouldn't say "crap" if she had a mouth full of it.
I did tell her we would have brought one of the Airstreams, but we didn't want to look like snobs. She turned an interesting shade of puce, and stalked off.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
- we've been very welcome at local NEU rallies. Probably helps that one of the past presidents has an Argosy Minuet herself...
nah. irrelevant.

In our group, if you bring enough wine to the campfire, you can pretty much camp in anything you want.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
nah. irrelevant.

In our group, if you bring enough wine to the campfire, you can pretty much camp in anything you want.
If anybody ever saw me camping in nothing, they'd definitely ask me to camp in something--anything...
Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Argosy's are certainly welcomed in the GA unit. There were several at the last rally among the almost 90 trailers and AIRSTREAM motorhomes in attendance.

If it is an Airstream branded or made by Airstream, it is welcome. I think that applies throughout the WBCCI as well.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I was referring to the MOHO issue and one plan was to make a Thor MH and put an AS name on it. jim
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Sorry, after doing some research I found that Argosys were made by AS. My mistake. jim
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Currently Looking...
Dawsonville , Georgia
Since the roofs of current Airstreams are now painted white (to better reflect the heat I am told by the factory) does that then mean that the painted Argosy's are cooler in the summer than our aluminum ones??
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRoc View Post
Since the roofs of current Airstreams are now painted white (to better reflect the heat I am told by the factory) does that then mean that the painted Argosy's are cooler in the summer than our aluminum ones??
Yes. Our Argosy 20 was measurably cooler than our "neighbor's" Globetrotter at a rally with rally power. Both were pretty much stock, no extra fans, all windows open, and the white painted Argosy was nearly 10 degrees cooler.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
I wonder if they'll ever bring the Argosy brand back...and use it for trailers made of fiberglass, to be towed by today's lighter & more fuel efficient cars.

There's quite a few manufacturers of small fiberglass trailers these days enticing buyers, and given that a new Argosy trailer line could become the entry level for regular Airstreams...I think it would be an excellent way to (eventually) give virgin trailer owners a healthy dose of Aluminitice !!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
I wonder if they'll ever bring the Argosy brand back...and use it for trailers made of fiberglass, to be towed by today's lighter & more fuel efficient cars.

There's quite a few manufacturers of small fiberglass trailers these days enticing buyers, and given that a new Argosy trailer line could become the entry level for regular Airstreams...I think it would be an excellent way to (eventually) give virgin trailer owners a healthy dose of Aluminitice !!!
They did.

It was called the "Landyacht" or better known as the "squarestream".

Andy