Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #541
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Marcus, Skip:

I eventually hope to confront most of the stalkers on this thread in person.

Click image for larger version

Name:	galley shelf.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	66916

This is the last major construction in the trailer, the open shelf complete with extractor fan for the galley.

Made of 3/4” aluminum tubing, the underside will be satin-coated aluminum sheet. The top will be in a laminate that matches the counter.

A birch wood trim, to match the counter below, goes around the perimeter.

I have cannibalized the original exhaust re-using the hood and collar and the control lever, which works the outside vent flap.

You can see the pattern for the side of the vent hood. The finished piece, in satin-coated aluminum, will wrap around the opening over the stove to form the hood.

A four-gang switch from my Aqua-Hot friends in Colorado will be inserted into the face of the hood and control the fan plus each of the 12v down lights separately.

Don’t be misled by the white and blue colours in the photo. That’s just protective film on the aluminum pieces, which is removed once the job is done.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #542
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Maybe that should read “I hope to eventually confront most of the stalkers on this thread in person”.

I haven’t had my coffee yet this morning.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #543
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Maybe that should read “I hope to eventually confront most of the stalkers on this thread in person”.

I haven’t had my coffee yet this morning.
Ha!

I love it. I'm definitely an internet stalker of yours, you'll just have to put up with me. But I'll repay you buy buying your margaritas and Tex-Mex and/or BBQ when you finally hit the Lone Star state.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #544
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
You guys did an amazing job on the Airstream! We are starting on the plumbing in our 76 Soveriegn ......well....lets see.....we started on it 3 days last week ...Sat. eve...Sunday afternoon...and we havent really done a thing except tell each other we are doing the right thing by re-doing it with Pex Pipe.
We seem to be scratching our heads a lot too...Any ah this, ah ringin a bell?
Quote:
DavidsonOverlander made a door for the hatch over the fridge and pantry. It exactly matches the pull-out.

Attachment 66895

Vince and I installed it last week.

Sergei
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #545
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
If you add a dead bolt to your trailer door you may find the screen door gets in the way.

Name:	bolt outside.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	67239

Name:	bolt inside.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	67238

You can solve the problem with an aluminum plate like this:

Name:	plate out.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	67240

I clamped two plates together to cut the hole and pre drill the rivet holes.

Then I sandwiched the screen between the plates. After it was riveted in place, I removed the screen from the opening.

Name:	plate in.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	67241

On the inside I used a piece of plumber’s gasket. It works something like a flap door for a cat does.

Sergei
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #546
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thumbs up Type of Deadbolt lock??

Sergei - another "virtual stalker" wishes their "new to them" 75 24' Argosy will looks like yours when it grows up!

We're looking at installing a dead bolt lock in our door as well & were wondering what type you used.

Hope you are able to enjoy your beauty on the road!

Carolyn & Gerry
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #547
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Hi Carolyn and Gerry,

The commonly available – any big box or lumberyard – Weiser or Schlage types will do.

I got the idea from DavidsonOverlander. I think he used one from Home Depot as well.

Schlage makes a commercial line in brushed nickel that you can see at HD. It will look nice on an Airstream.

Sergei
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #548
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
If you add a dead bolt to your trailer door you may find the screen door gets in the way.

Attachment 67239
Attachment 67238

You can solve the problem with an aluminum plate like this:

Attachment 67240

I clamped two plates together to cut the hole and pre drill the rivet holes.

Then I sandwiched the screen between the plates. After it was riveted in place, I removed the screen from the opening.

Attachment 67241

On the inside I used a piece of plumber’s gasket. It works something like a flap door for a cat does.

Sergei
Sergei,

I know it's after the fact, but I usually install the cylinder for a deadbolt lock like yours in the right door jam, with the 'bolt only' extending into a hole drilled into the door. This eliminates the problem that you faced.

Store this for your next trailer............................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #549
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow Sergei! It just looks wonderful! When you're all done, can you do some photos of the whole trailer? I really love the work that you did. Happy trails!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #550
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Lew,

We considered that but the idea was vetoed. I can’t remember why. In a long reno like this you forget some of the minutia.

Didn’t want the thumb latch on the wall? Wall too thick? I think maybe it was because the fold-out table was in the way. Not sure now.

Yes, I will store this and many other ideas gained from this experience for another time.

Name:	50's trailer.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	67299

Name:	roycraft.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	67300

This lovely old 1950’s ROYCRAFT would make a neat challenge if I have any energy left.

Sergei
Old 09-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #551
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
I got the idea from DavidsonOverlander. I think he used one from Home Depot as well.Sergei
This link takes you to a post with a description and photos of the installation of a deadbolt on our '64 Overlander.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...1&postcount=17

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #552
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Lew,

We considered that but the idea was vetoed. I can’t remember why. In a long reno like this you forget some of the minutia.

Didn’t want the thumb latch on the wall? Wall too thick? I think maybe it was because the fold-out table was in the way. Not sure now.

Yes, I will store this and many other ideas gained from this experience for another time.

Attachment 67299

Attachment 67300

This lovely old 1950’s ROYCRAFT would make a neat challenge if I have any energy left.

Sergei
Hmmmm, I wonder what kind of nifty modern modifications you would make to this Roycraft?!?

Selfishly, I look forward to the day you take on your next project. But first, you definitely need to enjoy some time in your Argosy!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #553
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Time to get outta here

Autumn leaves are falling around the job site and the winter winds are coming. Time to get outta here.

Meanwhile, my trusty little Webasto heater has been working beautifully.

Name:	webasto working.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	68931

It is much quieter than a propane furnace, both inside and outside. I especially like the warm-as-toast feeling. It’s much like radiated heat.

No more gusts of too hot followed by too cold.

Sergei
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #554
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,,, yep,, time to head south,, great job,, hope to see it in person someday,, happy trails,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #555
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
The rig is mostly finished now.

Name:	rig.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	69836

Donna, other friends:

Last Sunday I stored the truck and trailer, for the winter, inside the Old Curling Rink at the Aylmer Fairgrounds.

I know that I sometimes fantasized on these pages about being Way Down South each long winter of my project but my original plan was always to head out to Newfoundland one spring, then turn around and travel back across my great country until reaching the Pacific in October. From there, I’d head south along the American West Coast.

Of course, I originally thought that the spring departure would be three years ago. But this has grown into a major undertaking, bigger than most.

Even if the South could have seduced me, I finished too close to the wire. I have many loose ends to tidy up in the rest of my life and also a few deficiencies with the truck to rectify.

Most of all, I don’t want to vary from the original plan. I want to start the journey in my own country, where I enjoy the benefits of citizenship and know the local customs - not to mention the uncertain times we find ourselves in just now.

So I’ll “take her outta the barn”, as they say in the circus, about April 20/21 next spring and by May we’ll be headed for NEWFOUNDLAND and the start of a long Trans-Canada Journey.

Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy my time off doing some MINI touring and maybe some flying too, perhaps to South America.

‘Hope to meet some of you along the way.

Sergei
Old 10-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #556
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Sergei - wow! The final reveil.. LOVE the complete outfit. So by saying the "Pacific".. do you mean the Pacific NW... Seattle perhaps? I'm willing to wait the year to meet you... that would be great!

FYI - my wife thinks not only is your setup smart, but great looking too...
Stay warm!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #557
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I sure hope you'll find your way to Vancouver. I'd love to see your work in person!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #558
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looks great, Sergei, I wish you "fair winds and following seas" in your trip next spring.

And as they say in your business, "Break a leg!"
Old 10-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #559
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Sergei, that is a whole bunch of awesome right there. Absolutely beautiful!!!

on your trip through the US (after going across your great country) would by chance be heading through New England. We here in the NEU would love to have you at one of our parties.

If you stop in Connecticut, be sure to let me know!! I'll take you out for the best pizza in the world which is in New Haven, CT.
http://www.modernapizza.com/

Then we could go to Louis' Lunch where they say the hamburger was invented.
Louis' Lunch Home Page

Afterward you could camp in my yard.

We'll have lots of fun.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #560
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
original plan was always to head out to Newfoundland one spring, then turn around and travel back across my great country until reaching the Pacific in October. From there, I’d head south along the American West Coast.
Next Halloween in Seattle

Quote:
Most of all, .... I want to start the journey in my own country, where I enjoy the benefits of citizenship and know the local customs-
Yeah, hard to find gravy on your fries (or is that chips) down here

Quote:
not to mention the uncertain times we find ourselves in just now.
One thing's certain, diesel is a whole lot cheaper right now than it has been; getting back down near $3 a gallon (and gallons go farther than liters ). Hope that aspect of it works out for you.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote