Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #113
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Smokeless,
Is this going to be a "propane-free" trailer?
when I saw the pic of the a/c compressor on the tongue, I thought, "where to the propane tanks go?"...then backtracking a bit, I see you're heating and cooking w/ deisel...what about the fridge?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ahhh...

The brushed aluminum will look great inside. Funny about that USA model - maybe they should've put some antlers on it instead? The "big Tex" model (no disrespect to those Texans out there - just some tongue in cheek humer! )

Is it possible to put a split unit fridge in and use the tongue compressor for that too?
Marc

Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Sergei,
I'm having a hard time following the shower construction. Where are the fixtures located? In one picture it looked to me like they were on the wall dividing the shower from the living space. The the wall with the "frosted glass" made me think the acrylic was to let in light (from somewhere) but the last sequence makes it look like the "window" is up against the plywood bulkhead. Obviously I'm very confused

What are you doing with the shower walls that are on the outside of the trailer? Those are something I'd really like to clean up. Did you reuse the original shower pan or fabricate something custom?

-Bernie
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Diesel Powered Trailer

Chuck:

Yes, “propane free”. One-fuel rig, truck and trailer. (Oops, the little car will still run on gas.)

The fridge is an LG 8.6 cubic foot model, 110v. I plan to use a big battery bank and an inverter when not using shore power.

Sergei
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Bernie:

Is your Argosy a rear-bath like mine? I guess I’m changing everything in the trailer except the layout.

If you have the same bath you should be able to follow:

So first scroll to post #102 in this thread. You’ll see how the bath fixtures were imbedded in the rear wall.

Better explanation in this thread, post # 58:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ons-26471.html

Then I painted the entire bath area, walls and ceiling, in a POR 15 product called WhiteCoat.

Name:   100_1312.jpg
Views: 3501
Size:  33.5 KB

I had the pan and the “shower wall” painted in WhiteCoat too.

Name:   100_1291.jpg
Views: 3513
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:   100_1293.jpg
Views: 3504
Size:  42.7 KB

Then I mounted this “frosted glass” panel on the shower wall, in the area above the pan.

Name:   100_1589.jpg
Views: 3571
Size:  22.0 KB

So we have an all white space, save for the grey Marmoleum floor, with accent touches of stainless steel or aluminum and frosted glass.

(All the IKEA cabinetry opposite the shower stall has the same frosted glass look).

Did this help you understand ????

Sergei
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I think I get it now. The "frosted glass" is attached to the original bulkhead wall after you painted it white and it's purely cosmetic?

The back walls, I assume they are just the original aluminum skins? It seems to me a major improvement in the stock shower would be to simply pull out the trim strips that serve no purpose but to make it hard to clean. The problem is what to do with all the little holes that are left after pulling the trim.

The aluminum framing behind the bulkhead. You added all that? It seems to me that bulkhead is far to flimsy in it's stock form. I'd be willing to forgo the pocket door (or move the pocket to the other side in order to beef up that wall. With the framing I was hoping the plumbing could be put in the bulkhead to get the shower head up to a reasonable height for someone that's 6' tall. Then again a flex hose type shower is nice too and if it's easier to put the plumbing in the back wall then I can see going that route. I'm limited by the existing space up to the slide out bunk on the curb side with respect to modifiing the shower bulkhead. The closet in the bathroom I could live with out and it certainly seems like a bad place for the electical panel.

You were if I remember correctly going with a new ceramic toliet. Are you going to remount the black water tank in it's original location or will that move. Moving it frees up a lot more options for the bath but I don't know where it would go.

-Bernie
Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
could have had a 2007.....

Marc:

I suppose that if I’d known my project was going to take this much time I could have had a 2007 too!

I bought my ’06 Sprinter a year ago January, and drove it home last July.

It’s still in the front yard, covered in snow. 700 miles on it. Not a thing done to it yet.

Name:   100_1495.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  57.1 KB

I haven’t even had time to get the truck plans out of my head and onto the drawing board.

I’ll have to do that soon. Spring is coming.

Sergei
Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,,, yes,, Spring is coming,,, sorry,, i just have to laugh,,, poor snow covered baby,,, glad you like the Marmoleum,,, dieter
Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Bernie

We trashed the original flimsy sandwich-wall, which held the pocket door, and rebuilt it.

We are making a new “sandwich”, using two mirror image walls - with the pocket door and gas lines to the air conditioner hidden inside.

The aluminum strutting was used on the rear panel to support the pocket door hardware.

The other side needs the same design as well, to support the AC.

All the old plastic trim at the edges of aluminum panels was replaced with new pvc J mold and caulked - all through the trailer, including the bathroom.

The walls were then primed two coats and painted two coats. The molding blends into the walls very nicely now. There will be no yellowing with age (of the plastic) this way.

The rivets that hold the panels and trim together were also painted out like this.

The black tank is now UNDER the floor. The ceramic toilet will sit right on the Marmoleum floor. The lino runs seamless, wall to wall, even under the shower pan.

Tearing everything apart and rebuilding it, even if in the same layout, is probably easier than trying to rebuild something like this pocket door wall in place. You have more options starting with a clean slate.

I wish now that I had thought harder about how I might have added the water supply and fixtures to that same wall. I guess I thought squeezing the pocket door and the air conditioner piping in there would be trouble enough.

I’ll send pictures as we build the pocket door and mount the AC.

Thanks for your interest.

Sergei
Old 02-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Thanks Sergei,

I'll have to look back on the thread for info on moving the black tank. To be honest I haven't really studied the stock layout. I do know the size of the grey water tank is WAY to small. I think it was from the day running the grey water out a hose to just about anywhere was common practice.

Since I don't want to get into modifying the bed I'll be limited to the existing space for the shower bulkhead. Shrinking the size of the already too small shower isn't a winner either. I'm guessing that a tubular aluminum frame work would fit it I was willing to either give up the pocket door or move it to the other side. I think that would also let me run the plumbing up that wall.

What are you doing for a shower door or curtain? I've looked at the ones that roll up like a window blind except off to the side instead of up and down. They seem like a nice concept. Then again just creating a wet shower of the whole bathroom might be the easiest for cleaning and provide the most elbow room.

So the rub rails in the shower cover up seams in the wall skins? That make sense, sort of. I wonder if it would be possible to just fill the seams with something like JB Weld for Aluminum and then paint the whole shebang like you did. I'm still hoping I can find a home fiberglass surround that can be cut and fit but that's probably wishful thinking.

-Bernie
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Bernie:

For information on the new tanks, go to post #37 on page 3 and take the link from there.

Yes, I used a rounded J molding, pvc, on all the seams. I also caulked under the edge.

I think I used auto body filler for some of the holes. Re-riveting was done on the others.

All were primed and painted to blend into the walls.

Don’t know what I’m going to do for a curtain or curtain wall yet. The pull-out idea doesn’t work because of the curvature of the Airstream rear wall.

Sergei
Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Trimming the shower wall

Phil and me trimmed out the shower bulkhead wall last night.

First we marked for position, and then removed the wall we’d previously squared, leveled and mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cove.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	33224

The trim chosen is this about 1/8” PVC cove molding. We taped the edges of the profile with painter’s masking tape for protection, and then gently jig-sawed around the edge of the plywood/aluminum/ acrylic sandwich to get an even better fit.

Name:   100_1610.jpg
Views: 3447
Size:  37.2 KB
Then Phil applied caulk to the inside of the cove molding using Mono Bath and Kitchen caulk.

Name:	wrap around.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	33226
We then fastened the molding around the profile, using small brads to hold it in place until we could get the wall back in place.

Name:	phil caulking.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	33227
After the wall was screwed back in place, Phil ran a final bead of caulk around the white wall.

Name:	etail inside.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	33228

Then we caulked the rear of the wall panel as well.

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	629.2 KB
ID:	33229

The pocket door hardware, on its way from Indiana, will mount on this wall.
Then we will erect the other matching wall for the new "sandwich". The blower head for the A/C split unit will mount on this wall, facing into the living quarters.

Name:	pan.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	33230
Here’s the wall and shower pan in place. We’ll trim around the pan were it meets the two walls, with an aluminum molding about 1 1/2” high.

There will be a 1/8” thick aluminum kick plate built for the front edge of the pan.

It’s a very “chrome and brilliant white” space and I like it a lot.

Sergei
Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Looks great Sergei. Now that I see it together I understand the placement of the acrylic sheet. Much better idea than the contact/wall paper in the original. What were they thinking?! Truly an inspiration to get going on the work to morph ours from merely a place to hang wet cloths to a usable shower.

-Bernie
Old 03-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
so clean!

I too removed the rear fiberglass vanity in the rear... but am running into troubles sealing the shower/wall area the is closest to the rear window. The curve of the tub matches the old increasing radius of the fiberglass vanity (which hid the plumbing previously). How are you filling in this gap and trimming with the aluminum?
Thanks!
Marc