Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #101
Dazed,Confused,Broke.

1978 24' Argosy 24
Hephzibah , Georgia
Looking Great Serg, Happy New year to you as well, sorry i have not been checking things for a while, RL has gotten CRAZY!!!!
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
More detail on the plumbing

These are the miniature marine type fixtures I used in the bath.

Name:   100_1226.jpg
Views: 4183
Size:  27.3 KB

The chrome fixtures appear out of brilliant white epoxy-like walls with no supply lines seen, as in residential or high-end boats.

Name:   100_1340.jpg
Views: 4230
Size:  18.7 KB

You can see how the plumbing was imbedded in the walls by going here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ons-26471.html

There too you will see how various members taught me how to plumb a trailer.

Name:   100_1421.jpg
Views: 4181
Size:  40.4 KB
They also showed me how to make a by pass at the water heater

Name:   100_1462.jpg
Views: 4220
Size:  39.1 KB

Make a suction device for easy winterizing

Name:   100_1471.jpg
Views: 4149
Size:  49.2 KB

And got me to wondering how I could fill the on board tank easily from inside the trailer, using city water.

Name:   100_1459.jpg
Views: 4177
Size:  35.5 KB

It’s not likely that I’d thought of doing any of these things if we didn't have this forum.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Marc, others:

Here are more photos showing how we reduced the weight of IKEA’s particle board units.

This pull out pantry will be lined with white sheet aluminum, as will all the other Ikea cabinets being used.

You wont see any of the cut-outs.

I think it reduces the weight by almost half.

Sergei
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
Sergei,
I'm new to the forum, and I found your thread here inspiring. I always wanted to little changes, updates, and repairs on my argosy. I've had mine for 10 years, after a lot of years of neglect on my part, my husband and I are talking about some DIY projects. I have to see what becomes of your tt, I bet it will look absolutely gorgeous when you're done.
lilmouse
Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
World's First Diesel Powered Airstream Trailer???

This repeated from post #83 above:

“Diesel Powered Trailer achieved. All components sourced and installed. (Webasto Coolant Heater, Indel Water Heater, COZY space heaters, Tempo tank). Getting the hydronic system up and running is first on our work list for the New Year”

You can follow the whole story, from original question to completion, here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler-23048.html

Includes information on diesel cook tops.

Sergei
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
shower wall

This is the “frosted glass” shower wall that I finished over the weekend.

The “glass” is really a sheet of acrylic. I applied the film sign writers use to imitate frosted glass to the back of the sheet. And protected the facing surface with a couple of coats of auto polish.

The whole of the bathroom will have this pure white, frosted glass and metal look.

Sergei
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
UP and RUNNING!!

We set the expansion tank and diesel heater in their approximate final positions this week and started up the system.

Name:   100_1585.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  45.2 KB

It took only a couple of minutes to circulate less than 2 gallons of the water/ethylene glycol mix all through the 70’ of heater hose coolant lines.

There were no leaks, not a single one. We had to bleed captured air off, using a flat blade screwdriver, at the heater’s outlet before the circulation pump would run smoothly.

Once running, we could detect NO sound from the pump. We had to touch it with our hand to confirm our suspicion that fluid was traveling in the line.

When the unit first starts the circulating pump, ceramic igniter and combustion air fan all come on together and there is a not unpleasant whine which lasts 60 seconds.

When combustion starts it is barely audible. I would say the constant sound is about the same as the new Flojet water pump inside the trailer.

This silence was helped by the fact that we’d exhausted the plant to the outside of the temporary workspace.

So we tested it with the exhaust inside the shed. There was more sound but you could conduct a conversation in a normal voice.

The sound is much less than the little Japanese generators make, for instance. It’s also less than the sound a propane furnace exhaust makes.

Nevertheless, in the final set up, we will add a small muffler. The system will then be whisper quiet.

So we have no sound to speak of and no smell outside.

Inside the trailer there is complete silence. You can’t hear the fluid moving in the rubber hose of course. There is no sound of a gas furnace coming on and off. No ducts so no air turbulence. Just the quiet hum of the little 1.5 amp fans in the three fan coil units.

The little Webasto heater on the trailer tongue measures 9” x 4” by 6.4” and weights 7 pounds.

Operating on 12v it draws 5 W at high and 2.5 at low. Full heat is 17, 200 BTU. Reduced heat is 8,600.

It consumes 0.16 gallons of diesel per hour at high and .08 at low.

It’s a very, very sweet set up. I’m happy to see all the work result in such a nice system.

These are photos of the small wall thermostat used to control the fan units and the 11.5-gallon diesel tank, complete with pump.

Name:   100_1579.jpg
Views: 3529
Size:  22.0 KB

The tank is mounted under the trailer, just forward of the axles.

Name:   100_1578.jpg
Views: 3503
Size:  43.5 KB

The hole at the right front is where we inserted the supply feed for the diesel cook top. The stove uses the same size miniature fuel line and also just sips fuel.

You can follow the diesel conversion story here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler-23048.html

Sergei
Old 02-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
looking good Sergei!

I like that bath door - can you post more details on the framing? Did you router the frame to get the plastic in? How thick was the plastic?
How are you mounting it to the interior?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
shower wall construction

Marc:

The picture was not of the door but rather the shower wall. Perhaps these photos will help explain.

This is the rear of the shower wall.

Name:   100_1600.jpg
Views: 3481
Size:  37.4 KB

A pocket door will be mounted on this side. Then the outer wall, facing the centre space, will be erected - hiding the door hardware and the tubing to the LG Art Cool air conditioner. The resulting “sandwich” of two walls will be about 2 1/2” to 3” wide.

Here is the shower wall side.

Name:   100_1602.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  35.2 KB

The “frosted glass” runs the width of the shower pan. Aluminum trim will be added were the pan meets the wall and where wall meets wall.

I siliconed the trim to the 1/8” acrylic (from Home Depot) then glued the trim to the plywood backing with PL Premium construction adhesive. No rivets or screws; its rock solid.

The walls are mounted to the floor, walls and ceiling with these little aluminum brackets that we made up.

Name:   100_1606.jpg
Views: 3441
Size:  24.8 KB

Sergei
Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Why we want to get the wall up....

The wall dividing the shower and mid space area will carry the interior unit of the LG Art Cool split A/C system.

You can read about it here:

http://www.lgaircon.co.uk/product.php

We’ve placed the outside unit on the tongue for position and are making a simple aluminum securing structure for it (to replace the lumber being used now!)

Name:   100_1592.jpg
Views: 3478
Size:  48.6 KB

The shroud on the LG compressor will be painted Mini Cooper Black to blend in with that portion of the Argosy’s new paint job.

So that’s our immediate task: to get the shower wall/pocket door/ Art Cool mounted so that we can join the two portions of the AC split unit and get that running too.

Sergei
Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Too cool! (I know, a bad pun)

Sergei - you really are pushing the envelope for new technology in a trailer. I like the flat box that actually cools the trailer - what color did you pick? I looked at the website, but can't actually visualize how it works. I'm assuming there are cooling llines from the front unit to the flat screen? How deep is that interior unit? Can you post more pics as you install it?

Is it powered on 120 volts, or is it European voltage with a converter? How many volts?

I'd also like to see the heat registers that you install eventually too.

As an aside - I did see the new 2007 Sprinter on the Dodge website. I like the new look. If it wasn't so much, I'd order a shorty now (10 passenger van for the girlscouts) as my tow vehicle. It comes with a 6 cylinder diesel (3L) and a new 3.5 gas (I'd go diesel).

Airstream Life should do an article on your new technology.
Marc
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Marc:

The inside unit is 22” square, 5.4 ” deep and weighs 15 pounds.

Maybe you can see the 1/2” gas and 1/4” liquid copper lines in the picture of the wall. There is also a brown communication wire there.

These all run down, through the belly pan (insulated) and out to the tongue where the compressor sits. It weighs 73 pounds. The combined weight of both pieces is more or less the same as a traditional RV rooftop.

My Art Cool is the brushed aluminum one. It looks like a contemporary piece of sculpture on the wall.

(I referred you to the UK site because the models are like those we have in Canada. In the USA they sell a crappy looking Field and Stream painting looking one.)

The unit is 110 v. It uses inverter technology so it runs only as much or as fast as it needs too. The inside and outside communicate via that low voltage brown wire.

The digital thermostat/control is hand held, like a TV remote, only very cool looking, like an iPhone.

The outside is much quieter than regular compressors and the inside is almost soundless. I have these in a building in Toronto and you have to look to see if the LED light is on to know for sure that it is running.

Sergei
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #113
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Smokeless,
Is this going to be a "propane-free" trailer?
when I saw the pic of the a/c compressor on the tongue, I thought, "where to the propane tanks go?"...then backtracking a bit, I see you're heating and cooking w/ deisel...what about the fridge?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ahhh...

The brushed aluminum will look great inside. Funny about that USA model - maybe they should've put some antlers on it instead? The "big Tex" model (no disrespect to those Texans out there - just some tongue in cheek humer! )

Is it possible to put a split unit fridge in and use the tongue compressor for that too?
Marc
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Sergei,
I'm having a hard time following the shower construction. Where are the fixtures located? In one picture it looked to me like they were on the wall dividing the shower from the living space. The the wall with the "frosted glass" made me think the acrylic was to let in light (from somewhere) but the last sequence makes it look like the "window" is up against the plywood bulkhead. Obviously I'm very confused

What are you doing with the shower walls that are on the outside of the trailer? Those are something I'd really like to clean up. Did you reuse the original shower pan or fabricate something custom?

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Diesel Powered Trailer

Chuck:

Yes, “propane free”. One-fuel rig, truck and trailer. (Oops, the little car will still run on gas.)

The fridge is an LG 8.6 cubic foot model, 110v. I plan to use a big battery bank and an inverter when not using shore power.

Sergei
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Bernie:

Is your Argosy a rear-bath like mine? I guess I’m changing everything in the trailer except the layout.

If you have the same bath you should be able to follow:

So first scroll to post #102 in this thread. You’ll see how the bath fixtures were imbedded in the rear wall.

Better explanation in this thread, post # 58:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ons-26471.html

Then I painted the entire bath area, walls and ceiling, in a POR 15 product called WhiteCoat.

Name:   100_1312.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  33.5 KB

I had the pan and the “shower wall” painted in WhiteCoat too.

Name:   100_1291.jpg
Views: 4089
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:   100_1293.jpg
Views: 4100
Size:  42.7 KB

Then I mounted this “frosted glass” panel on the shower wall, in the area above the pan.

Name:   100_1589.jpg
Views: 4169
Size:  22.0 KB

So we have an all white space, save for the grey Marmoleum floor, with accent touches of stainless steel or aluminum and frosted glass.

(All the IKEA cabinetry opposite the shower stall has the same frosted glass look).

Did this help you understand ????

Sergei
Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I think I get it now. The "frosted glass" is attached to the original bulkhead wall after you painted it white and it's purely cosmetic?

The back walls, I assume they are just the original aluminum skins? It seems to me a major improvement in the stock shower would be to simply pull out the trim strips that serve no purpose but to make it hard to clean. The problem is what to do with all the little holes that are left after pulling the trim.

The aluminum framing behind the bulkhead. You added all that? It seems to me that bulkhead is far to flimsy in it's stock form. I'd be willing to forgo the pocket door (or move the pocket to the other side in order to beef up that wall. With the framing I was hoping the plumbing could be put in the bulkhead to get the shower head up to a reasonable height for someone that's 6' tall. Then again a flex hose type shower is nice too and if it's easier to put the plumbing in the back wall then I can see going that route. I'm limited by the existing space up to the slide out bunk on the curb side with respect to modifiing the shower bulkhead. The closet in the bathroom I could live with out and it certainly seems like a bad place for the electical panel.

You were if I remember correctly going with a new ceramic toliet. Are you going to remount the black water tank in it's original location or will that move. Moving it frees up a lot more options for the bath but I don't know where it would go.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
could have had a 2007.....

Marc:

I suppose that if I’d known my project was going to take this much time I could have had a 2007 too!

I bought my ’06 Sprinter a year ago January, and drove it home last July.

It’s still in the front yard, covered in snow. 700 miles on it. Not a thing done to it yet.

Name:   100_1495.jpg
Views: 4034
Size:  57.1 KB

I haven’t even had time to get the truck plans out of my head and onto the drawing board.

I’ll have to do that soon. Spring is coming.

Sergei
Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,,, yes,, Spring is coming,,, sorry,, i just have to laugh,,, poor snow covered baby,,, glad you like the Marmoleum,,, dieter
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote