Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #631
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Skip, Tom: ‘Never been to New Haven but hope to make it there someday. Looking forward to discovering apizza and meeting Mistral Blue and you guys.

I should really collect together some interior shots and post them together here, in one spot. I’ll try to do that soon.

The reason that I may not have posted what you call “pull back shots” is that the front curtains aren’t done yet. I suppose I’ve been waiting for that. Coming soon.

Sergei

Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #632
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Marcus,

If I don’t get lost exploring Louisiana and Mississippi this winter I’ll try to get over to Austin.

A favorite landscape architect nephew is a City Planner there. Maybe we can all meet for happy hour at the Continental Club. Is Toni Price still singing there?

Dieterdog might be there this winter too. If she is, that will be one more reason to come to Austin.

All the best,

Sergei

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #633
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Austin , Texas
Toni is gone to California...
Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #634
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,, am awaiting your interior shots too,,, am sorry but Austin is out for this year,, toughing it out in ol Montana,,,, Leon Redbone is coming to Toronto in November, hope you can go,,, happy trails,, d
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #635
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
In 5 years of MINI motoring the only thing I’ve not liked about the little car is not being able to find it when I come out of a shopping centre.

Now, if the Mini is piggy backing, it’s the first thing I see when I step out of the door!

Click image for larger version

Name:	parking lot.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	110904

Sergei
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #636
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Looking for a Clean Out Hatch

I remember reading here about a marine like clean-out hatch available for fresh water tanks.

I can't find it among these threads.

Can anyone help direct me to the original posting or to the product's website?

Sergei
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #637
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
> If I don’t get lost exploring Louisiana and Mississippi this winter

Just finished watching Easy Rider. My mom and wife had never seen it before. Take care leaving the deep south. Come on up to the NW. All we do is tax you to death. You'll feel right at home. ;-)
Old 09-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #638
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
When you are in Mississippi ...

Hi, Sergei -- I am native of Alabama, but I went to Mississippi in my adult life, and my old stompin' grounds are Hattiesburg, MS, and about 150-mile radius. If you get to Vicksburg, find H. C. Porter's gallery and studio. She has a new project underway: documenting Mississippi blues. Here are a couple of links. Her Katrina project has toured the country, very moving from the words and hearts of the people.

H.C. Porter Home Page
H.C. Porter | Facebook

I'm also a fan of John T. Edge, but there is another restaurateur and food figure who should not be missed since you are going that way: Robert St. John.

If you go to Hattiesburg, I encourage you to check out the Purple Parrot or any of Robert St. John's eateries. He and artist Wyatt Waters made a beautiful cookbook. I remember when he was waiting tables in the only decent restaurant in town. It's fun to see talent realize the dream.

Robert St. John - Restaurateur, Chef, Author, World-Class Eater, But the best job title in the world is "Dad"
New South Restaurant Group

I lived in Jackson, also, and there was a tamale joint in one side of a building near the medical center; the other side was a car mechanic. That's the best eating -- in buildings that probably ought to be fined or condemned. You'll have to ask around, they don't advertise or have much signage.

In Tuscaloosa, AL, the original Dreamland barbecue (it's become a chain, so has lost some of its charm, but not in the old place) -- don't expect to get your daily balance, it's just ribs, drinks, maybe some chips, and white Sunbeam bread. A salad or cole slaw or other things that might be good for you will have to wait.

OK, enough of that foodie southern lecturing -- your rig looks fantastic. I'm up to my elbows in alligators in my Trade Wind. I hear it gets worse before it gets better.

Peace!
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Marcus,

If I don’t get lost exploring Louisiana and Mississippi this winter I’ll try to get over to Austin.

A favorite landscape architect nephew is a City Planner there. Maybe we can all meet for happy hour at the Continental Club. Is Toni Price still singing there?

Dieterdog might be there this winter too. If she is, that will be one more reason to come to Austin.

All the best,

Sergei
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #639
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
@font-face { font-family: "American Typewriter"; }@font-face { font-family: "Verdana"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Anne,

Thanks for this really informative posting. I will follow up on ALL of it.

A couple of winters ago I passed through Vicksburg and visited Ms. Porter’s gallery/studio on the main drag. I think even then she was working on a blues project.

I liked the town and plan to hang there for a while this time, getting to know it. Same with Natchez on the Mississippi, where I did spend a couple nights then.

Any other southerners with Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama or Georgia suggestions please send them in, especially if you have some ideas for fairgrounds, sports fields or “behind somebody’s red barn” parking.

Thanks again Anne, all the best.

Sergei
Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #640
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm also a fan of John T. Edge, but there is another restaurateur and food figure who should not be missed since you are going that way: Robert St. John.

Forgot this name . . had a neighbor a few years back from Hattiesburg and we had discussed the fortunes of that town and this entrpreneur.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #641
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
@font-face { font-family: "American Typewriter"; }@font-face { font-family: "Verdana"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Anne,

Thanks for this really informative posting. I will follow up on ALL of it.

Any other southerners with Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama or Georgia suggestions please send them in, especially if you have some ideas for fairgrounds, sports fields or “behind somebody’s red barn” parking.]
Since you asked ... you're welcome! I was just last Saturday evening at a party and the subject of tamales in the South came up. An Arkansan mentioned the same phenomenon that I described about Jackson, MS. It seems that after the 1927 flood (good book: Rising Tide, John M. Barry, coinciding with the Great Migration of African Americans to the North left a vacuum of workers for the cotton industry. Notices were posted in train stations in Europe, Asia, the rest of the Americas, and the labor flooded in, as it were. Tennessee Williams' play, "Twenty Seven Wagonloads of Cotton" is an artifact of that migration.

Greek, Italian, Latin, and Asian cultures thrived along the Mississippi River and evidence continues in the folkways and foodways of those cities. Some of my good friends from river towns had Greek, Italian, and Hispanic/Latin surnames. Some good restaurants are still there. Look for the prevalence of the American flag -- patriotism of immigrant families. In Jackson, MS, I'm thinking of Bill's Burger House and Primo's. In Hattiesburg, Gus's Cafe #1 and #2; Vicksburg, Natchez, and, of course, New Orleans are popular, but other places are discoverable. A lot of churches will let you park, as long as you avoid Sundays and Wednesday nights (prayer meetings, usually).

In Hattiesburg, ask around for a tour that includes the People's Funeral Home. We called it the "Moan and Go On" Funeral Home. It was on Johnny Carson years ago. I hear it's still there. A new arts district has emerged in Hattiesburg downtown and near the railroad. The University of Southern Mississippi might be another good place to overnight for free. Check with the campus ministry groups. STudents usually leave on the weekend, leaving huge parking lots free of cars.

If you pass through Athens, Alabama, my hometown, you might find welcome at the high school, the college, or the fairgrounds parking areas. The WBCCI has an annual rally at the "Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddler's Convention" at Athens State College. This year it's October 1-2. I'm not advertising, just sayin'
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #642
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thinking about The South this Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend.....

Name:	leaves falling.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	112818
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #643
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24

Name:	window covers.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	112858

Full information about the slick new window covers here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ors-46690.html
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #644
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Those are really nice Sergei! If you're ever in the Seattle area, let us know! I'd love to visit....
Marc