Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #681

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
FYI the base part of IKEA cabinets are all the same. There are variations for sink bases and that sort of thing, but the "hidden" parts are the same from the cheapest are the same. So, take SmokelessJoe's advice about weight, and within that group pick the ones that look the best to you. The cabinet framework will work just like Sergei's, even if you pick different doors and drawer fronts.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #682
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Nikki, also check post #26 in the same thread I mentioned above:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...h-67241-2.html

I don't know if my earlier advocacy of stick-built and Ikea doors in combination inspired EuroAir or not but his is the first example of this that I've seen and it's really terrific. Like he says in his post, check out his photos.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #683
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
I don't know if my earlier advocacy of stick-built and Ikea doors in combination inspired EuroAir or not but his is the first example of this that I've seen and it's really terrific. Like he says in his post, check out his photos.

Sergei
Here's the thread that seems to have all his photos. Very nice work!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-64377.html

The new replacement work starts appearing at this post (post #15) and carries on from there.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #684
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Welcome to the AS forums and to the AS family. I have a '78 Argosy, 27ft which my wife and I rehabbed in '09-10. We did a mild custom inside and out. Like all vintage RVs you are constantly tweaking and repairing them (the little things). We live in WA ST so just south of Canada. Your project will give you much enjoyment and other RVers will come around and marvel your work. Good luck.
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #685
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Great thread! How has the Sprinter truck been working for you so far? Any issues with the weight of the MINI and trailer in tow?
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #686
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
How has the Sprinter been working so far?

Any issues with weight??

As much as I still love my MINI after 143,000K I think I enjoy driving the Sprinter even more.

That’s maybe because I pretty much drive the Mini in automatic while with the truck I use both DRIVE and the gear options.

I also like sitting high up in the cab, with it’s panoramic view, and feeling the thrust of diesel.

The rig is very heavily loaded. The factory Combined Rating is 15,200 pounds and I run around 14, 500.

Before I set out on my first major 173 day tour a couple of years ago I had a PM from member Lewster, warning about transmission and turbo resonator problems with his Sprinter.

Following his advice I preemptively added an additional transmission cooler and a machined aluminum turbo resonator, to replace the plastic original from the Düsseldorf factory.

Later, while in Louisiana, I added the Scan Gauge II. All of these items where from the Sprinter Store in Oregon.

I consider the Scan Gauge a fantastic driving tool. Not only does it measure and report a wide range of engine parameters it allows you to drive to “ percentage of load”. That leads to lots of revelations, like the counter-intuitive idea that easing off on the pedal often eases your way up a hill.

On that trip there were a couple of occasions where I slowed to a crawl on mountain grades in Georgia and Alabama.

I also met fellow Argosy owner Big Ed Moeller from Walhalla, South Carolina there. He uses and recommended a power chip and gauges to monitor transmission temperature and exhaust gas temperature for heavy loads or mountain driving

This summer I added a German made power module from the Sprinter Store and a matched set of ISSPRO EV2 gauges - transmission temperature and exhaust gases - from Geno’s Garage in Cummins, Georgia, recommended by Ed.

Currently enroute to Newfoundland on what I hope will be a 3 month long journey, I’ve been running up and down the back roads of the Eastern Townships these past few days, as well as climbing the long grades on the Montreal-Sherbrooke expressway and the little truck has been performing very nicely.

As before, I drive to percentage of load but now I have the added benefit of knowing what the transmission and turbo conditions are.

No dangerous or abnormal temperatures have been encountered despite the record breaking hot weather of late and the power module seems to have added more torque and performance to the truck.

My heavy rig doesn’t do jack-rabbit getaways, that’s for sure, but I have no interest in that. I am content with the outfit building toward its road momentum and have no desire to pass other trucks that are grinding up hills either.

I have no truck experience except for this Mercedes and it still has less than 11,000 miles on it so maybe something will give way in time.

For now I remain impressed, maybe even amazed, at the quality German engineering that allows such a small engine to work so effectively, economically and quietly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rig 1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	163739

Sergei

Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #687
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Good to hear from you

Hello Sergei... Like the heading says... have been wondering about where you were? We are heading to Alaska next summer and Nfld the year after. Nfld is one of my favourite places... wonderful scenery and wonderful people. Enjoy.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #688
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for the update Sergei. You have quite the setup! I showed this thread to my spouse and I don't think this particular setup will fly with her but it has given me ideas.

Now if I could shoehorn my MINI inside of a black 3500 Sprinter van with body kit (like the AS Interstate) to tow a 23FB AS, that might work. Sadly I think the MINI is too wide not to mention the weight issues.

My particular MINI is a manual and has huge amounts of low end torque so I suspect driving the Sprinter would leave me wanting. But that is why the MINI is in tow right! Whatever decision I make I think it will have to include the MINI as I enjoy driving too much. No point going across country long-term and having to leave behind my favorite past time.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #689
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
The other comment I have is that those loading ramps are awfully long. And my MINI has the lower Aero kit and will eventually be about 1/2 to 1" lower than stock ride height. Most trailers need to be tilt based with 6' long ramps. No idea how long the ramps would need to be on your rig.

Does anyone else have any sources for flatbed rigs (with tilt) for carrying small cars? I am going to start searching around. There must be some out there already based on MB, Dodge, Chevy platforms.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #690
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Hey, Aagie and Marcus, the recent greeting from Marvin and Annie made me realize that I hadn't thanked you for your friendly reminder and for your congratulations on passing the 75 year mark.

I'm past that by quite a bit now, actually, and still happy and content with my decisions and the result of them - and on the wander again.

I'm still following the aphorism I lifted from Joe Reddington's obituary some years back:

Name:	joe's door.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	165362

Most days we are not too certain were we will be that night. The guiding star on this trip is only that we are bound for Newfoundland.

Sergei
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #691
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hey, Aagie and Marcus, the recent greeting from Marvin and Annie made me realize that I hadn't thanked you for your friendly reminder and for your congratulations on passing the 75 year mark.

I'm past that by quite a bit now, actually, and still happy and content with my decisions and the result of them - and on the wander again.

I'm still following the aphorism I lifted from Joe Reddington's obituary some years back:

Attachment 165362

Most days we are not too certain were we will be that night. The guiding star on this trip is only that we are bound for Newfoundland.

Sergei
So glad to hear your updates and I'm still quite sorry I missed you last time in Austin. Next time you're here, please do let me know and I won't make the mistake again. I would love to hear all about the circuses and everything else you've done in your fabulous 75+ years. Shiner Bocks and margaritas are on me.

Take Care!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #692
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Sergei, I just read the whole thread, very cool project.

Very original concept, you have a very neat rig.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #693
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Been a while since I've posted to this thread. Sergei, when are you going to come back out to the Pacific North Wet? Oh, and I should add the great north wet has had only one day of 1/100 of an inch of rain in the last 60+ days! With our house projects it's looking like the only way we'll ever "go camping" with someone is if they come and park in our pasture

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #694
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Hello Bernie,

Me and the Much Contemporized Argosy are both now aboard the MV BLUE PUTTEES, steaming toward the mainland, after about a month in Newfoundland.

Next spring or early summer I intend to head across Western Canada toward the Left Coast and after some time in British Columbia I guess that I will head down the Pacific North Wet as well.

Maybe I'll meet you then....

There have been several small world events on this trip, including running into Graig Dorsey in Nova Scotia. Maybe I will report on them here once I get off the road in a month or so.

Sergei
Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #695
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Most excellent! We'll wash the Silver Palace and put air in her vintage tires in honor of your arrival.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #696
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Split AC

Over the years I’ve received several enquiries on how it was even possible to retrofit a commercial / residential AC split unit - compressor on the tongue, blower unit inside - on my contemporized ARGOSY, and have enjoyed answering the questions on this forum.

Name:	AC Webasto reflection.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	188479

But this winter I saw a split AC installation that completely stumped me. It was in Montevideo, capital of Uruguay (sans trailer of course):

Name:	split AC.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	188480

This 20 plus story government building on the main square of the city was covered, top to bottom, with split units.

I still can’t figure out how they got them up there or how they will service the outside units.

Maybe somebody here knows??

Sergei

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	188478

entire rig now available
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #697

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
They could use window-washer-style platforms, they'd just have to be a foot or two further from the glass than usual or they'd have to put out to pass the outside units every floor as they descend or ascend.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #698
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:

entire rig now available
You're selling?

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #699
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Say it ain't so Joe! You haven't come visited us yet and we just installed a 20A outlet to park in our pasture.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #700
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
From the looks of it, those split units are underneath or in a window that opens...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote