Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #581
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
From this thread .... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ale-39559.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
If BO or anyone else is looking for a beautifully “contemporized” classic trailer, I might offer my whole unit – the completely remade ARGOSY, the Mercedes SPRINTER and the MINI Cooper.

As others are pointing out here, the cost to achieve such craftsmanship and originality exceeds new but I don’t expect to recover everything that’s been poured into this.

Check it out here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post628818

Sergei
OhMyGosh!!! Sergei!! you've lost that much interest in your beautiful project!?!? Will you still make it to New Haven so I can buy you some pizza?

Good luck with your sale, although I have to say it's a tough market for good units like mine so trying to sell a Really good unit like yours might be harder. Everyone wants a deal. Will you please pm me what you think you're going to ask for yours? I think I am asking a very fair price for mine, perhaps I'm to high. Many other's so I'm not though.

Cheers!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #582
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Lanny sold his invention to Thetford

This week I learned that the Sani-Con Waste Management System that I installed in the trailer a couple years ago (see posts 526 and 529 above) has become a division of the Thetford Corporation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	84458

So, my Dometic toilet is now being managed by the competition.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #583
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Need some from 70's trailer owners-

I suspect that a second fold down step is missing on my old ARGOSY.

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	84459

I can’t figure out how to configure a new one.

Can somebody please post a photo so that I can figure out how to build it?

Many thanks,

Sergei
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #584
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Cottage Industry, Part 2

In March ’08 I posted a photo of the sub structure for the galley exhaust and shelving that Vince had helped me build on my kitchen table out at Port Bruce. (post #416, page 30 above)

Now, SIXTEEN MONTHS later, we are finishing up the unit at my make shift shop at the Aylmer fairgrounds.

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	84658

Boatdoc once said on these pages that it helps to have a proper shop.

Here’s my tool shed just inside the Cattle Barn:

Name:	tool shed.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	84657

Oh well, Wiltsie Truck Bodies is just a few minutes away and always willing to cut or bend a piece of metal.

We got the shelf up in the trailer today. It looks pretty sharp.

I’ll post a photo soon.

Sergei
Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #585
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sergei, I was surprised and a bit saddened by the announcement of your intention to sell your beautiful rig. I hope that you are able to finish it up, and take it out for at least a short tour, before making a final decision on it.

If you do manage to make it to Austin, I will "up" my offer to include both Tex-Mex and BBQ, with margaritas and beer to accompany of course. I'll even thrown in a Keep Austin Weird t-shirt for you if you like, just for the chance to visit with you.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Best,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #586
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
lower step

Quote:
I need to make one for my Sovereign too, and would also appreciate a few good photos so I can see how it's supposed to go.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #587
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
No picture, how about a drawing with instructions?

Quote:

I can’t figure out how to configure a new one.

Many thanks,

Sergei
Well, here's a shot from the 1977 Airstream Service Manual. The steps appear to be quite similar to yours. They call the first (lowest) step an "Auxilliary (Optional)" one.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #588
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Grant,

The good information Aage submitted will probably allow us to rehabilitate our steps without trouble.

When we didn't get replies here on the main thread, I started another here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f475...ase-54371.html

There's good information there too.

The shelf and table are both up and your work looks terrific. I'll post photos soon.

Sergei
Old 08-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #589
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
My kinda “camping”

“Camping” at the Aylmer Fairgrounds while I complete the trailer is just great.

I’m in the shade of 2 or 3 giant old trees, just in front of the Cattle Barn, alongside the old racetrack.

Name:	compressor webasto.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	85136

Things will be even nicer once I get a black Zip Dee awning.

The fairgrounds are in the middle of the town, close to everything, but nevertheless secluded. I love it.

This is the way I hope to travel: parked behind somebody’s red barn or on a sports field somewhere, not in trailer parks.

All my systems – air conditioning, heating and cooking are humming along, working perfectly. My water and sewage disposal is about a 100’ run, near the barn. My Sani Con macerator easily handles it.

The 163 rd annual edition of the Aylmer Fair is running this weekend so the Wiltsie brothers have allowed me to park my outfit over at their place for the few days.

Name:	at wiltsies.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	85135

I’ll be back under the trees next week.

Sergei
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #590
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Lovely rig, Sergei, just lively.

Makes me a bit nervous though, you parking under that big old tree. Old trees are known to often shed limbs in medium weather, which could provide some drama for you. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #591
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sergei.... Sure looks pretty... hope to see it some day... any chance you are headed this way ?
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #592
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Hello Friends,

Bernie, Marcus, Skip, Soldiermedic and some others saw my post on this recent thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ale-39559.html

and expressed concern, maybe dismay, that I was giving up on my project.

I’m not. It’s just that the thread served as a kind of reality check for me.

The reality is that I was 69 when I bought my first trailer, the Argosy. That’s an age when some Airstream owners are already thinking of selling their coach.

Now, four years later but closer to completion, I’m at an age where a whole lot more owners have sold.

I didn’t start out to build something to sell and I still hope to get out on the road with my really cool rig. And drink Texas wheat beer with Utee and eat pizza with Skip.

The agreeable nature of my situation at the Aylmer Fairgrounds this summer has helped bring back some of my enthusiasm as well.

But I have to face the fact that I’m getting older, not younger, my project has used up a lot of time and no one in my immediate family is interested in having the thing.

So, if someone looking for something classic but totally unique and original came along, particularly someone who’d take the whole shooting match – the Mercedes, the Mini and the Argosy matching set- I might part with it.

But I hope they will come along after I’ve been out on the road for a time ..…..

Sergei
Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #593
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Sergei,

I completely understand your reasoning, and I am certain you will make the best decision possible for yourself, your family, and your friends. Your campsite at the Fairgrounds looks lovely, I'd have a hard time leaving it too, especially during your summer!

Perhaps you'll get rolling down to the South when winter rolls around. If so, you obviously have plenty of online friends who'd love to meet you and chat about your adventures over some cold beverages.

Take Care,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #594
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Hello Friends,

Bernie, Marcus, Skip, Soldiermedic and some others saw my post on this recent thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ale-39559.html

and expressed concern, maybe dismay, that I was giving up on my project.

I’m not. It’s just that the thread served as a kind of reality check for me.

The reality is that I was 69 when I bought my first trailer, the Argosy. That’s an age when some Airstream owners are already thinking of selling their coach.

Now, four years later but closer to completion, I’m at an age where a whole lot more owners have sold.

I didn’t start out to build something to sell and I still hope to get out on the road with my really cool rig. And drink Texas wheat beer with Utee and eat pizza with Skip.

The agreeable nature of my situation at the Aylmer Fairgrounds this summer has helped bring back some of my enthusiasm as well.

But I have to face the fact that I’m getting older, not younger, my project has used up a lot of time and no one in my immediate family is interested in having the thing.

So, if someone looking for something classic but totally unique and original came along, particularly someone who’d take the whole shooting match – the Mercedes, the Mini and the Argosy matching set- I might part with it.

But I hope they will come along after I’ve been out on the road for a time ..…..

Sergei
Glad this horse has finally got out of the barn....but it looks like it is still penned up in the corral. Remarkable that a trailer project tread that has gotten 62,828 views and still has not hit the road to adventure. After all, that was the original purpose this machines where built.

I think Sergei will have more reason to keep and use this project trailer after it rediscovers the open road. Hope that happens before the FOR SALE sign gets taped on.

As to the age of Airstreamers giving up the travelling life for the rocker, I think Sergei needs to attend a few rallies and try to keep up with the 80 and 90 year young people we just camped with in Vermont this week. Some were travelling with their fifth trailer since the fifties and others had just started in their seventies.

One was John Fuller. He showed us photos of has first California whaletail pulled by a now classic 56' Buick roadmaster. While at this rally he helped set up events, decorated his trailer with full scale photos of the UCONN women's basketball team for the Rally sports theme contest. He also proformed opening and closing ceremonies that come with every Regional rally. I couldn't keep up with him either.

Another couple was there from South Carolina in their 1962 Bambi. They have owned it for the last 20 years and also own BMW motorcycles. I am guessing they are mid sixties. Just imagine where that trailer has been. At the beginning of the Vintage open house he walked over and asked if our trailer was Ohio built. Than said, "would you like to have this?" It was an Ohio 1962 licence plate. Very cool for vintage geeks like us.

Steve from Vintage Trailer Supply stopped by and shows us the new Wally Byam Caravan sign his is selling. Very nice. Rich Luhr did a show on National Parks and Colin Hyde was there and spoke on structural challenges on trailers. Excellent presentations. Maybe we will see Sergei at a rally someday with a presentation on his project?

So we hope this technology platform hits the road and get it's high proformance sneakers a little dirty at a campground or rally someday soon.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #595
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Hi Marvin and Annie. Nice to hear from you. Are you guys in Peterborough for the summer? When will you head out for Texas?

Sergei
Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #596
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sergei.... Yes we are home in Peterborough until Oct 8 and then we head to Texas... Going to the Lombardy for Labor Day w/e with the Ontario WBCCI... you might want to join us..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #597
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Good Customer Relations

Last week the handle on the Dometic SeaLand Concerto toilet (it both provides water to the bowl and operates the flush mechanism) snapped off in my hand.

Name:	handel.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	85193

I was astonished to see that the shaft it was attached to on this $600 toilet was made of PLASTIC and called the factory in Ohio.

( It's unlikely that a steel shaft would ever have snapped in two)

The receptionist began to steer me to their distributor in Canada but when I mentioned my concern about the plastic shaft she quickly switched me to Customer Relations. They equally quickly sent out a free flush mechanism, which tells me that this might be a known issue with the toilet.

I received it on the second day.

Name:	new dometic.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	85195

I didn’t ask for a new handle, thinking I could remove the broken stub of the plastic shaft. This proved impossible. When I called again, they sent a new handle for free too.

I asked for the name of the president of the company and I’m going to send him the broken pieces because the replacement looks no different from the original.

I may be wrong; maybe they’ve addressed the issue with a different plastic but it isn't steel. If the president is as 'on top of things' as his Customer Relations department he will follow up on this.

Sergei
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concerto.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	85194  
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #598
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Sergei,
A short two months before my mother-in-law pasted away at the age of 89 she hitched up her trailer and went solo for a two week trip up to B.C. It's what kept her young! We'll be having no more of this I'm to old cr*p

-Bernie

PS. You've done the hard part. Now it's time to retire and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #599
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Back at the Fairgrounds

Name:	scaffold.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	85394

More than fifty years ago Frank Wiltsie started his truck body business using these old wooden scaffolds, long retired. I’ve borrowed them to install the radio and TV antennas.

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	85395

The radio antenna gives the old Argosy a contemporary look. The roof is filthy dirty. While we have the scaffold up I’ll borrow Vince’s power washer to clean it.

Name:	outdoor work bench.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	85396

I’m building the aluminum housing for the radio receiver on my tree-shaded workbench.

Roaring hot outside these August days. Cool as a cucumber in the LG cooled interior.

Sergei
Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #600
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24

Name:	galley 1.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	85961
This is the galley shelf and housing for the extractor fan. The construction is entirely tube and sheet aluminum except for the laminate top and wood trim that DavidsonOverlander did for me.

Name:	galley 2 extracto.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	85962

The kitchen is complete now except for a small piece of trim where the backsplash meets the wall, near the coffee machine.

Name:	galley 3.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	85963