Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #381
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
On The Job Training

It takes a long time to do things when you really don’t know what you’re doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plan.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	50728

It took me 3 or 4 days just to figure out how to wire the controls panel I built for the trailer.

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	50729

I’m guessing that it will probably take another 3 or 4 days to actually do it.

(I never seem able to stay at a task for too long before some other part of my life needs attention).

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #382
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Changed my mind, again......

After asking how to remove the screen door in #369 above, I’ve decided to keep it after all.

Phil, the main helper around the project, rhapsodized about looking out onto a field of Tiger Lilies while parked on the Saskatchewan prairies. Or maybe it was just a field of flowers somewhere. Anyway, I was convinced.

I’m going to drill out the rivets, however, and have the door painted to match the trailer, then re-screen it.

Discussion on how or how not to remove an Airstream screen door here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...oor-37850.html

Sergei
Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #383
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Everything worked!!

I’ve been away from the trailer for 3 or 4 weeks - other things to do, Christmas in Toronto, etc. – but I was back at it this weekend and finished the control panel.

Name:	panel rear.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	52502

Name:	front panel.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	52503

Everything worked!!!!

When I got this trailer more than two years ago I wasn’t sure I even understood how the 12 v and 110v systems worked. Slowly, over time, my confidence has grown to the point were I’ve been able to design, build and wire this panel by myself.

The learning experience is very satisfying.

It reminds me a time many years ago when I was renovating a building in Toronto and the contractor went south with my money.

I had to take over the job and in the process learned where every copper pipe and electrical run went. And how to see through walls to imagine space.

It would have been easier were there internet forums in those long ago days.

Sergei
Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #384
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I was WONDERING where you went... going through withdrawl of projects here!
Welcome back, and happy new year!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #385
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
When I got this trailer more than two years ago I wasn’t sure I even understood how the 12 v and 110v systems worked. Slowly, over time, my confidence has grown to the point were I’ve been able to design, build and wire this panel by myself.
The learning experience is very satisfying.
Sergei
It looks great, Sergei. Very professional. And having done it yourself you'll know how to fix it or change it if you ever have a problem.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #386
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks Marc and Grant. Glad to see you are still following the thread.

Name:	warm cozy inside.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	52526

Was able to push the Webasto switch (red light) for the first time today. The unit fired up immediately. –1 C below outside. Warm, cozy and quiet inside.

Sergei
Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #387
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello .... Good to see you on here... glad someone is able to get back at their trailer... we can hardly wait to get back at ours...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #388
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Sergi - Just got around to finishing your thread.

You've done a fantastic job. I would love to pick your brain in the future over some of the problems swirling around in my head.

Look like you can see the light at the end of the tunnel (my tunnel just wen't black and I think I just figured out which direction I should be cautiously walking in, but hey =P you have to start somewhere)

1972 international 27' (like a fish)
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #389
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,, so thrilled for you,,, almost ready for the great unveiling and the great Ta Da!!!!!! Happy trails to you,, dieter
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #390
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, this is just beautiful work. I stumbled over this thread as it was linked from another one, where Sergei was talking about painting the bathroom, and I was so fascinated that I spent over an hour reading from beginning to end (and absolutely dwelling on the pictures-- I can see why everyone on this forum is so starved to see photos, they really are worth a thousand words).

It is obvious that you are sparing no effort (and probably no expense! ) to make this unit completely your own. I've just recently started thinking seriously about purchasing a vintage AS, and my plan was to remodel in a modern style. I thought that I had come up with some original ideas for innovations, but in reading through your epic saga, I am humbled by the richness and depth of ideas that you have. If/when I begin my own restoration, I'll be forced to give you credit for many of the ideas that I plan to blatantly rip off.

Anyway, I see that you have mentioned traveling down through Austin, and when you do, I'd love to see your camper in person.

Good luck, it looks like you're just about there.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
gaucho frame

You have done an absolutely awesome job on your trailer, it is remarkable. I am in the process of renovating ours, and one of the things thing I want to improve upon is the gaucho bed frame. The frames in your pictures look much sturdier than the factory originals in our trailer. Are they custom frames, or did they come from a supplier? Thanks very much for your help.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #392
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
What an excellent thread. I'm in awe after seeing all those fabulous ideas coming to life... Plus I'm contemplating getting a new Mini Cooper Clubman, so it's great to see nice pictures of your snappy little vehicle.

I do have one quick question - did you seal the Marmoleum inlays on the kitchen and bathroom countertops? The one thing I'm familiar with is that while Marmoleum is an excellent product for tabletops (not to mention floors obviously), it's not really recommended for a countertop where there's water, ie next to sinks. Unless the edges are sealed to the N-th degree of course. If any water gets anywhere near the underside, over time it'll swell which leads to bubbling and distortions.

Beautiful job you've been doing though - very contemporary and current.

Kudos.
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #393
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks for checking in on me Marv, Annie, Ben, Donna and others.

I’ve had a lot of problems to deal with recently, not the least of which has been losing my rented property here on Lake Erie.

It was rotten timing: short notice, mid winter, my long, long trailer project frustratingly close to the end.

Utee94’s post in #390 above came just at the right time and was particularly uplifting. Thank you.

To add to my difficulties, we’ve had snowfall not equaled for seventy years and two floods in the village so far this year. I’m snowbound by another winter storm as I write this.

Finding another place around here won’t be easy so I think I’ll just park my stuff for a while and go back home to Toronto. I can rethink things while resting up there.

My friend Big Al says **** happens in threes but you step out of the cow pies one at a time. I think he’s probably right.

For now I’ve got a lot ahead of me: shoveling snow, tearing down my “temporary” work shed, packing, storing, moving.

New Mexico would have been nicer but I didn’t get there.

Sergei
Old 03-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
maccamper:

The answers to your questions are in # 344 and #375 above.

Grant Davidson (DavidsonOverlander) is a forum member, distant relative and friend.

He essentially followed the design of the originals but used solid birch for the frames and made the faces on the pull out drawers to match, design wise, the IKEA kitchen cabinets I was using across the way.

The fold out table followed the design of the original as well but turned out to be much heavier than we would have liked.

Sergei
Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #395
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
......To add to my difficulties, we’ve had snowfall not equaled for seventy years and two floods in the village so far this year. I’m snowbound by another winter storm as I write this.....

Sergei
Sergei, I've been reading thru this thread for the past couple days. Somehow, I've missed it up until now. Lord knows how, as much as I'm on the forums. You've done a wonderful job with the Argy. I'm gonna steal a couple of your ideas, if that's OK. I'll let you know which ones, when the time comes. I particularly like the colors you've chosen for the interior. We're thinking of light blues for the interior work. Can't wait to see your completely finished project!

I am finally to the point of putting the insulation back in, it's been a long time coming. I got all of my materials in order, got up early this morning to get started, went outside and it was......snowing....in Georgia...in March. Too cold for the glues to work. Can you believe that one? Hang in there, winter is almost over!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #396
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Countertops

Macfrodge:

Thanks for the kudos.

I don’t know the answer to your question about the seams at the edges of the counters. Perhaps DavidsonOverlander, who made them, can chime in with the answer.

The edges and tolerances look VERY tight to me.

As to the kitchen sink, I did make sure that it was well caulked when I installed it.

Sergei
Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #397
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
thanks

Thanks very much for the response, Sergei, kudos again on your design and workmanship. Sorry to hear about your workspace, I was lucky to find some empty warehouse space to rent this winter and will really miss it when I take our trailer back to outside storage.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	55854

It took me about 1-1/2 hours to shovel half the front drive today before my neighbor came over with his snow blower and did the rest in 15 minutes.

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	55855

Once I’m done, an avalanche usually rumbles down the roof and I have to start over again.

Another neighbor in the village has offered to buy the work shed. I’ll help him take it down before I leave at the end of the month.

We hope the snow will start to melt by then.

Sergei
Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Bummer Sergei - I've been waiting for the "finishing" chapter to my favorite story! Best wishes with the relocation. Is this the first time you'll be pulling the trailer with the Sprinter? This can't be so bad, I'm sure you've been itching to pull it somewhere. I'm sure leaving the house and moving is the pits though.

Wish I were closer to help out. Let us know how it turns out.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #400
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:

...Utee94’s post in #390 above came just at the right time and was particularly uplifting. Thank you...

Sergei
Wow, I'm delighted that anything I said might have lifted your spirits a bit. I'm terribly sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered recently, but I have faith that you will no doubt manage to complete this fascinating odyssey that you have begun, and soon. You've already overcome so many challenges, I don't think one or two more are going to stand in your way for long. You made a post earlier in this thread where you seemed a bit overwhelmed at the amount of work left before you, but rather than dwell on it, you recounted all of the progress you had made to date. And, although your progress at that point was considerable, you're so much further along now that you should feel tremendous pride in what you've accomplished. And I'm sure that you feel great excitement, too, as you are so near your project's completion.

I was quite serious in my praise of your work-- I admire not only the aesthetic, but the tenacity with which you've pursued each and every detail, always learning and acquiring whatever specific knowledge was required, respectfully polling others for their ideas and opinions, while integrating it into your own design ideal. As an engineer, I greatly appreciate this approach.

Whenever you manage to resume your work and complete this coach, I look forward to reading your updates, and seeing pictures of your completed project. And perhaps someday, when you're touring through Austin, I'll get the chance to see it in person. I'd be happy to buy your beer for the privelege of a tour.

Best of luck, and keep it up.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote