Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Seen in position, the bathroom counter that DavidsonOverlander made for me.

Nice birch or maple trim and a beautifully inlaid Marmoleum top, matching the flooring.

He is making the rest of the furniture, including the fold-out table and the kitchen counter this way.

Sergei
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bath counter.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	33846  

Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looks great!

The countertop looks sharp! Are you mounting it to the cabinet frame and the wall, or just the frame?

What is the layout going to be, oven, stove, cabinet on the curbside, side gaucho on the curbside with dinette? Or....
Marc

Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
same layout as original

Marc:

We will attach both the stand and the counter to the wall and the counter to the stand too.

I will probably make a back-splash with aluminum trim.

My layout is basically the same as the original. I’ve just rebuilt the whole thing. Here’s a drawing I did at the beginning:

Sergei
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Argosy Layout.pdf (449.8 KB, 388 views)
Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Sergei,
Like the cabinets but LOVE the smooth clean walls. Looks like you've removed the closet in the bathroom and move the electrical stuff. I think that's a great concept. The bathroom closet is under utilised largely because you have to leave clearance around the Univolt and the breakers (not to mention all the loose wires). Plus, it just doesn't seem like having the electrical in the bathroom is a good idea from the beginning.

Moving the sink and counter up against the outside wall will allow a mirror a 6' person can actually use and make it so it's a real "medicine cabinet" to boot. The round sink nestled into the rounded corner of the trailer looks good and is an efficient use of space. Now if there was just a good way to make it so the window didn't extend into the shower! Oh well, can't have everything.

-Bernie
Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
WHITE bathrooms

Yeah, Bernie, I do like a WHITE bathroom.

All of the assumptions you make are correct.

The electrical panel will be moved just outside the bathroom, in the wardrobe/desk combination that is next along the street side wall.

I think I will follow your suggestion and put frosted glass film on the rear window, except for maybe the uppermost 4” or so. That will look cool and afford a level of privacy in the shower stall.

Sergei
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
cool drawings..

Sergei... were you an architect? Nice details!

What are you using for upper cabinets... if at all?
Marc
Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Marc:

No, but that would have been nice. Or a developer specializing in urban renewal.

My plan for now is to forsake overheads. I see a long, open shelf in the kitchen. Maybe IKEA boxes up there for storage.

(They’ll perhaps need to go on the floor when I move. Or maybe I can devise some sort of bungee cord strap for moves.)

Sergei
Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
The "frosted glass" would be nice for the shower privacy issue. My dileman is that I like being able to look through the trailer when towing to see what's following. Also helps some when backing. Doing just part of the window would probably look funny. Maybe an overlay with a design could work. I"m not sure how they do it but I see a lot of cars and vans done up with corporate logos and advertising that includes the windows. They do it on some of the Metro busses in Seattle. I think it's some sort of printing process they use on a special tinted film. Something the size of the rear window shouldn't be too expensive.

-Bernie
Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #163
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
...I"m not sure how they do it but I see a lot of cars and vans done up with corporate logos and advertising that includes the windows. They do it on some of the Metro busses in Seattle. I think it's some sort of printing process they use on a special tinted film...
-Bernie
that, plus the material is perforated with thousands of tiny holes. The net effect is that its invisible from the inside looking out...but from the outside, you can't see "in".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Sergei,, is coming along nicely,,, l like it very much,,, did you know that the sort of rubberlike cabinet liner,, cut to fit under your boxes , will hold them in place,,, invisible but amazing,, know of a person who travels with a coffee pot never moved,,, where is your first destination plan??? happy trails,,, dieter
Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Bernie, I originally thought it would be nice to have a clear view through the trailer but I’m guessing that I won’t be able to see through the Mini on the flat deck anyway.

It’s a matter of taste. I find the partially-frosted window idea interesting. You often see this in European design, were the upper third of the window is see-through. Think of it as a modern take on the Belgian street café, with the lace curtains half way up.

After my long treatise on design, the truth is that I have a left over piece of film that will cover everything except the top 4 inches!

Sergei
Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Too Close For Comfort

Friends:

I awoke this morning at 4.30 am with an orange glow outside my bedroom window and the smell of smoke all through the house.

By the time I called 911, got dressed and went outside to see my neighbor’s house ablaze, the first of the volunteer firemen had started to arrive.

A cloud of steam arose as they hosed my place down first.

The family next door seems to be away and as far as we know no one has been hurt.

My trailer is OK.

Sergei
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	next door w tent.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	33954   Click image for larger version

Name:	front w boat.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	33955  

Name:	crew.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	33956   Click image for larger version

Name:	washing off.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	33957  

Name:	ruins.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	33958  
Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #167
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wow. What a way to wake up!

Glad everyone is OK. Any idea how it started?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I second the wow. I was afraid to read on thinking that it was the AS that had started the blaze. Glad no one is hurt. What a thing to come home to; feel sorry for the neighbors.

I think your plan of "frosting" the glass except for the top 4" will look fine. Since it sounds like you won't have a clear view through the trailer anyway nothing lost. I assume the stick on frosting can be removed in the future if that changes? I was thinking frosting from the edge that's in the shower out to the shower curtain/door. I think that sort of sideways application would look funny. I'm also thinking the perforated film idea would be a cool way to add a personal touch to the trailer without doing something "permenant". I also like the idea it would give some shading since the pulldown blind in the bathroom is a bad idea. In fact all of the pull down blinds are something I'd like to replace with day/night pleated shades but not in the bathroom because of the moisture and clean-up issues.

Lookin' good!

-Bernie