Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Keewatin , Ontario
Considering an Argosy

I am looking at a 1973 Argosy24 that is for sale. I have been looking at Airstreams up to now, but this Argosy has come onto the scene and I am wondering what the difference is between them (other than a couple of gallons of biege paint). Any advantages or disadvantages to the Argosy? What is the real value of a 1973 Argosy 24 that is is average to good condition? Is it the same as an Airstream, paint excluded?
Thanks for your input.

Cheers!
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome

Hello... Argosys are great trailers.. we are on our 3rd one.. just got a 30' with rear wraparound windows also.. Argosys were trailers that Airstream tried anything new out in before it introduced it into the Airstream line.. Argosys have steel end caps while Airstreams have aluminum.... the rest of the trailer is aluminum like airstream. We have found them easier to work on for systems and well the body work and paint is no problem because that is my hubby 's trade. It seems to me to be easier to maintain a paint job rather than maintain a shiny mirror finish trailer... By the way we have also owned a shiny silver one too... Good Luck.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Finn,

Welcome to the forums!

I have an Airstream and an Argosy. I should say that I have an Airstream and an Airstream Argosy.

The Argosy has the same "Another product from the leisure world of Airstream" plastic emblem that my Excella does.

Outside, the visual cues are a little different, but inside, the trailers are pure Airstream... pure 70's Airstream. This meant lightweight construction with a lot of veneer and hollow cabinet doors.

This is cool because it made some of the lightest weight trailers of the era, and you won't need a Super Truck to tow it.

There's even the thought that the Argosys are coming into their own recently.

I'm sorry that I can't help estimate the value. I paid $4000 for mine in 1992, and it's still with me. That's some of the best money I ever spent.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Considering an Argosy

Greetings Finn!

Welcome to the Forums!

An Argosy can be as much fun if not more fun than a similar Vintage Airstream. I enjoy both of my coaches, but the Argosy is much less worry as minor skin damage can be much more easily repaired than the Airstream. I don't know that I would want to take my recently polished/Plasticoated Airstream on a trip to Alaska -- but it looks like that might be where my Minuet and I will be heading later this year -- any abrasions that the skin may experience can be repaired prior to its repaint which has been tentatively scheduled to follow this trip.

After watching the Argosy values for the past five years, there has been a noticeable increase in value -- particularly for the coaches 24' and under. About five years ago, it was possible to purchase an Argosy (at least in the Midwest) for about 25% to 30% less than an Airstream in similar condition -- today that differential has nearly disappeared -- if there is a differential, it is less than 15%. The Minuets from 1977 through 1979 have seemed to experience some of the strongest values, and often sell for as much as similarly sized Airstream coaches of the same model year.

Fortunately, the Argosy coaches share their construction and manufacturing processes with Airstream so parts are comparably available to similar Airstreams. Most of the Airstream dealers who welcome Vintage coaches in their service departments are equally willing to work on the Argosy coaches.

It can be rather fun to pull into a campground and hear the question -- "Where did you find the cute painted Airstream?"" -- or -- "Why would anyone paint an Airstream?" I have heard both questions more than once when setting up my Minuet in various campgrounds.

Good luck with your inspection!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Keewatin , Ontario
Well folks, I did not buy the Argosy......... But I did find a sweet 1973 25 ft. Airstream..... !!!! And it is in VERY good condition. The fellow who I bought it from brought it over last night. We are the 3rd owners of it and proud to have it in the driveway.... Thanks for the info on the Argosy.
Cheers,
Finn
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Well folks, I did not buy the Argosy......... But I did find a sweet 1973 25 ft. Airstream..... !!!! And it is in VERY good condition. The fellow who I bought it from brought it over last night. We are the 3rd owners of it and proud to have it in the driveway.... Thanks for the info on the Argosy.
Cheers,
Finn
Congratulations on your new purchase, er, family member, umm, obsession...
And since you slipped by last time you posted without one, Welcome to the forums!
If you have any questions about your coach, feel free to ask, or you can use the "search" button on the upper-right part of your screen. Good luck with your new-to-you Tradewind.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Cheers,
Finn
Congratulations on your "new" trailer, is it a Trade Wind? Don't forget to update your profile.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote