Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Ramblings from an Argosy owner:

I have owned 3 Argosys: 1974 24 footer, a 197?Minuet, and a 1978 27 footer(the current one I am selling). I don't know what "creature comforts" they are missing. If that means fancy trim or something, maybe? Once I had a 1986 Excella, and after those cedar closets and wine racks, I did not consider any of my vintage units to have creature comforts! The Argosy do seem "plainer" to me of trim. Then again, they got the wrap around windows sooner as a test case than the Airstreams I think.

I do know that I prefer Argosy for TONS more storage than the other Airstreams of any other vintage through the early 1980's. All of mine had extra big fridges, and big pantries, and it seemed many more cupboards and closets. Maybe it was the models I had, I am not claiming to be an expert! They also seemed much roomier through the center aisle(well, not the Minuet) compared to all my other Airstreams. The current one has so many cupboards that I was able to pack all my families camping stuff in there, including the tents, etc. and still had a couple roomy empty spots. Of course, nothing fits all the people but hauling all their stuff did work. I surround the trailer with a little colony of tents to sleep children.

My Minuet was stripped of its paint, and the endcaps were steel. I also noticed like the previous post that all the aluminum was not as uniform in look, confirming again the previous post. I am always amazed at how when you tear apart the gauchos to fix them that the insides are "wallpapered" from various patterns throughout the trailer. They sure were thrifty on using the aluminum~

I have not noticed any quality issues with mine, they all seem to have roughly the same amount of issues regardless of Airstream/Argosy. Of course, we are dealing with 25+ year old units. They originally cost less, and I think even now have a resell value less than the silver twinkie siblings. Not having to polish is a big deal. It comes down more to preference and what floorplan and exterior you like. Of course, Argosy is even more RARE....they simply did not make them as long as they have been making the others. Of course, I have loved all my trailers, and my fixing hobby allows me to enjoy many different years and models. I am waiting around until I find the one that sleeps 12 without me having to build it.....

Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Question Help with 1977 Argosy 26'

In search of my 1st TT, I took a look at a 1977 Argosy today so any comments/ideas/suggestions from owners or those in the know appreciated.
General info: Front sofa/foldout, center twins, rear bath. Present owner has had it 10 years and I believe is the 2nd owner. It was parked in a campground under a shed top for 9 of those years. It was towed to the owner's house, parked outside and not used for 1 year.
My inspection revealed the following:

Surprise #1-- First thing I did, pull up the carpet in the bath. I didn't find any rotten wood or soft spots. Still again, I would take out the tub/shower if I bought it to further check.

Surprise #2 -- Pulled the carpet by the door and the floor was soaked and caving in by the right corner of the sofa next to the wall. (It was pouring down rain while I was doing this so I could actually see it coming in.) Wet/rotted area extended to edge of cabinet side underneath range. Under sink area was a little suspicious but nothing stuck out as rot. Wall on other side of coach was wet also and evidence of water and dampness extended most of way in front of sofa. This area was not as bad as the other side but damaged all the same. This wet area seemed to stop at the wall by the fridge.

Other Info: The exterior has one small dent on the front corner. The interior was all original and in very good shape. Very few PO modifications. Interior paint in good shape, no evidence of roof leaks, i.e. water stains. Normal wear and tear on the sink area, original sink covers, and countertops. I would expect to replace faucet and sink drain assembly and the range was in fair condition, but has a little more rust than I am comfortable with. I would replace it also. Owner has not used the furnace in probably 8 years.???? Couldn't power it up due to heavy rain so don't know if any plumbing leaks, etc, but all systems worked when last used according to owner. Did not see obvious evidence of such in bath or undersink area.

Also due to the heavy rain, I could not do as thorough inspection as I wanted on the underside but will do that before coming to a decision on whether or not to buy. I would like your opinions on areas of damage stated and what I might be getting into trying to repair the floor. I know my way around a toolbox and could probably do most of it on my own barring any huge deals coming out of the woodwork. Also, any tips on particulars to further inspect interior and especially when I crawl under the belly. Any idea of cost to replace axels? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
There have been several threads on floor replacement, so you might search the forums and get what you need. Same for the axles. Inland RV carries the stock axles, but other owners have had axles made (by Dexter, I believe) with varying ease of installation. The Inland axles seem to be the least trouble to install and their prices can be checked on the web. I would suggest a look at the water heater and look for signs of leakage from the holding tank(s) and valves while you are gazing up from underneath. Removing the furniture to get at the floor is not a big deal in an Argosy, so the floor project is likely to be more cutting and fitting than anything else. The area under the sink might be soaked with a rotting wood stabilizer if it isn't too bad yet. Get the heater checked on a bench to be sure it works and is safe. They usually come out with 2 screws in front and one through the vent, so that isn't a biggy.You might actually take part of the belly pan down around the bathroom to check the plumbing system and look at the underside of the floor to check for rot rather than pulling the tub and shower.Just some thoughts.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:26 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I have a 1977 Minuet the floor is also an alluminum floor so I never have to worry about the floor rotting.
What Airstream was trying to do with the the Argosy was to make a trailer or moterhome more afordable to the middle class back in the 70's. they were able to cut costs by using steel for the end caps so that is why they to paint them or else the steel would rust and yes the did cut out some comforts.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
'77 26' Argosy inspection

Argonaut20 --

Great info and tips. I will heed this when I look at the underside tomorrow. Also expect to power up then. Don't know if I will be able to hook up water to check all plumbing. Will do the water heater check if owner (elderly lady) is agreeable with me removing it. There is an RV dealer about 10 minutes from where it is parked. If not, that is another price negotiating point.

One other area I need help with. I did a whole bunch of searching and cannot come up with any info on how much this thing weighs.

Providing I don't find any huge "snakes in the grass", I am leaning towards bringing this Ole Girl home. Will post updates.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Tinbender....

3850 lbs dry weight or 3830 - depending on options.
Allowable Gross vehicle weight is 6200 and the axles will carry 5600 lbs (if they are in good shape) That means you can stow just under 2000 lbs of stuff in this trailer

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Janet,

Thanks for the speedy reply on the weight question. That helps a lot as I just talked to a good ole country boy who is not only going to let me park the unit at his garage so I can work on it, but has offered to tow it for me if all goes well on my final inspection.

Tinbender
Old 09-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Just got my Argy too

Hi Tinbender,

I just bought my '74 Argosy26 last week. It was kind of a rushed decision, but there it was and now here it is. I'm rebuilding the inside, so I've removed most of the interior now and I've posted some pictures that may help you see what's under all the furniture (see my thread under "Let's get started"). As soon as the rain stops, I'll take most of the mechanicals out.

Good luck with your unit, if you buy it. I bought mine knowing that there'd be a lot to discover after I started taking it apart.

But, it's a lot of fun. It'll occupy a lot of your thoughts!

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I was referring to the furnace as to the checking on a bench. The water heater (theoretically) doesn't vent to the inside so it isn't as hazardous as the furnace. The water heater is also a bit harder to remove, but can be repaired in place as long as it doesn't leak. I just don't trust a 28 year old furnace without checking it thoroughly.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Argonaut 20,

My goof, I just mistyped. I knew you meant the furnace. I wouldn't even consider fooling with something like that either until it was throughly checked ou. Finished the inspection early today and found much more damage and numerous other problems. After a day's thought, I have decided that I am going to pass on it. Alas, I got a call about a '66 Safari that is on the block and I am off to check it out this weekend.

All of a sudden, they are all around me. Still looking hard.
Thanks, Tinbender