Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Saco , Maine
color for Argosy

Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their Argosy another color besides the traditional colors. Also is this considered taboo.
thanks
flynnk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
There are numerous threads related to painting. The "Search" function on the header will help you find many of them.

examples: (the first has several links if you follow the comments)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...int-34585.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...ler-36209.html

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Painting it different

Since I can't afford to paint the Argosy the way she deserves, I have thought about giving her a temporary paint job, painting a mural on her sides until I can afford to do it right. Soft rolling hills, a highway and a tiny Airstream or two parked here and there, and rolling along the highway......lots of ideas! As an artist, I can't stand a blank canvas!
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora
Since I can't afford to paint the Argosy the way she deserves, I have thought about giving her a temporary paint job, painting a mural on her sides until I can afford to do it right. Soft rolling hills, a highway and a tiny Airstream or two parked here and there, and rolling along the highway......lots of ideas! As an artist, I can't stand a blank canvas!
Well that wouldn't be my cuppa, however, it is yours, I say make it yours. Keep in mind that when you do decide to repaint you will have to remove the temp job first. We are currently in the process of correcting work done by the 5th owner. Wish she hadn't painted the inside.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
temporary paint

I realize it would have to be stripped, I would have to do that anyway. No paint on the inside tho! Well, except for the insides of the bathroom doors where the vinyl has been stripped off. Just white.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm all for keeping the outside in good shape and if it means some touch-ups instead of the expensive paint job, then I do it. However, that said, I feel for anyone who gets an Airstream/Argosy that has been painted inside. When I was looking for my first Airstream I went to look at a Caravel at the dealer and it was carpeted, and I mean the walls were even carpeted. Think of what a nightmare that would be to get off. The paint on the outside of our Argosy, even the Krylon, is holding well and makes the trailer look as if someone cares for him. I stripped the vinyl off my bathroom door and put two coats of Bullseye shellac on the wood. It eliminated the sticky feel from the vinyl glue and makes the door look great.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
No interior work!

I feel sorry for anybody who gets their Argosy with all that tacky done to the inside, I am all for updating but there is a limit unless you are going for a complete rebuild and remodel. We were lucky that the interior of ours is in really good shape. Most everything is intact and was reasonably clean. I know the carpet has been replaced and so has the flooring, and I would like to change those but I really don't have an excuse because they are in pretty good shape and I can't justify it at this point. I don't even have an excuse to change the curtains!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Ahh...the pretty colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnk1
Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their Argosy another color besides the traditional colors. Also is this considered taboo.
thanks
I don't think it is considered taboo. There are a few people on here that have painted them and they look very nice. I think I have seen photos of one painted all maroon, one all smokey blue (or dark gray?) and I saw one at a rally that is painted all gray [hard to tell it was painted or an argosy]. There are also people who are painting the bottom part a different color and keeping the top cream. Others I have seen painted the bottom wrap something other than the traditional brown but have kept the rest of the trailer cream. So...basically it is something that is being done. The question is will the resale $$ be the same? That's hard to say as paint color choices are like any decorating choices, dependent on personal preference.

We have been trying to decide what to do with ours. I would love to have a nice blue on it but painting the whole thing is TOO MUCH blue...even for this KY girl. To make it a true U of K trailer it would need to be blue and white but a white trailer is going to be impossible to keep clean and not quite what I would consider good looking. So...blue and gray? We are undecided for now and will continue to patch our issues with Krylon cream and dark brown.

Anne
Old 04-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
thanks
Unlike an Airstream--which has to be aluminum, and preferably polished!--an Argosy presents all kinds of possibilities. . .

I have always thought a cow-colored Argosy would be neat. . . white with black patches. . .

Or how about a cold-war Soviet motif, olive drab camouflage with a white star?

But seriously, white or other very light color will be a lot cooler in the sun, something to think about when you're out there in it.

Go for it--nothing is taboo.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
thanks
Not taboo....check out this thread about Vintage Thunder.

Google Image Result for http://71.18.82.55/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/Vintage%20Thunder%20painted.jpg

This looks so much better in person! They are members of our unit and very lucky to own such a special argosy. It has awsome detailing to the interior and is very classy.

Good luck with your canvas and make sure to post pics!!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I'm suprised MinstelBlue has not replied. That blue trailer is beautiful in photos and I can't wait to see it in person. Mine is silver/grey/bronze (I'm slightly color blind so I can't really see what color it is). The previous owner had it painted with a late 90's GM color. I have some more of it, but if I need to paint it again I am leaning towards white with red where the brown usually goes.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Our planned paint scheme (which with any luck will be donw very soon) is to use the colors of our TV, a '99 Surburban. We'll be doing the overall trailer in the trim color of the 'burb, a silver mist metallic, and the trim (a 3" wide band around the belt molding and from 2" above the rub rail down through the wraps) in deep blue. The Argosy emblems will be done up nice as well.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
BVD

1972 Argosy 20
Bristol , New Hampshire
Hey there -- I'm posting in various places trying to find out whether you have to have your Argosy painted by a pro at the auto paint shop, or can I do it, and if so, what kind of paint works? I read some folks talking about Krylon...which is off the shelf stuff at the hardware store, isn't it? I'm brand new to this and a bit confused by it all. Thanks -- Bruce in NH, 72 Argosy 20
BVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVD View Post
Hey there -- I'm posting in various places trying to find out whether you have to have your Argosy painted by a pro at the auto paint shop, or can I do it, and if so, what kind of paint works? I read some folks talking about Krylon...which is off the shelf stuff at the hardware store, isn't it? I'm brand new to this and a bit confused by it all. Thanks -- Bruce in NH, 72 Argosy 20
Our Argosy was painted by the local Maaco auto body shop (Tinton Falls, NJ). They did a great job at a very good price. To keep the cost down, I did all required body repairs prior to bringing it in for paint. The whole story is in this thread.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
One of the prettiest combos I've seen, only in photos on this Forum, had an Argosy towed by a smaller SUV, both in a gorgeous pearl cream. So simple and absolutely classy. Perhaps someone here will remember whose this was and be able to pull up the picture of the duo. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Color Green

I thought I had replied to this thread before???

I saw the most beautiful Argosy painted a GREEN at the Virginia East Coast Rally. Former owner was the person working on magazine Airstream Life.

It was a Dark Green....BEAUTIFUL. If you search the Thread with the 2008 Vintage Airstream East Coast Rally you can view. There is a photo of this trailer. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
I thought I had replied to this thread before???

I saw the most beautiful Argosy painted a GREEN at the Virginia East Coast Rally. Former owner was the person working on magazine Airstream Life.

It was a Dark Green....BEAUTIFUL. If you search the Thread with the 2008 Vintage Airstream East Coast Rally you can view. There is a photo of this trailer. Aria
That would be "Vintage Thunder". I haven't seen it up close and personal, but the pictures are beautiful!

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #18
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Saw it up close and personal at the Vintage Jam. it is very beautiful. The paint is sooo deep and rich. It is more blueish in person, but changes light can change the color to more greenish hue. These are older photos. first one greenish. second blueish. I will posting my photos of the Jam in the Jam thread soon. I just got them developed and put on CD. For a disposable camera they came out very good.

(NOTE: I should credit Rich from Airstream Life. These are from his Blog I think. I just did a google image search and can only guess.)

Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Here is a photo od ajanib's trailer taken at the 2007 Lake San Antonio. It's a beautiful red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LSA_20071028_1154.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	822.1 KB
ID:	64461