Originally Posted by Dan S
My '75 Argosy's clear coat is peeling on top. Is there a way to clean up the peel and rattle can it with clear coat. Or, does it require taking it to a auto paint biz?
It was repainted in 1997 ish and other than the top areas, the coach looks great.
I don't want to spend a whole lot and am hoping for a DIY solution.
Sorry Dan, but your going to have to bite the bullet.
The front and rear caps on the Argosy trailers were galvanized, and then painted.
What you are seeing is the results of not quite enough surface prep when intitally painted.
What works best, is the following.
1. Sand all the paint off the end caps.
2. Slightly sand into the galvanized finish.
3. Prime paint the galvanized finsih with a very good primer, and at least 2 to 3 coats.
4. Let the primer age in the sun for 3 to 4 days.
5. Mask off the caps, lightly scuff the primer with 400 wet, and paint them 2 to 3 coats of a good auto paint, like Dupont.
6. Sorry, but rattle cans are not up to the task.
7. Remove the masking materials and your done.
The exterior paint was never clearcoated by Airstream.
Anything short of the above, will be a short term fix.