Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
76 Argosy 28' MH

Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
chief 1

I could use some help. I just replaced my alternater, i know it was bad because it wasn't charging, but i can't get my gauge to work. Am not sure where to start checking, which wire to check ect . Any help?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Chief1

Quote:
Originally Posted by john roeder
I could use some help. I just replaced my altanater, i know it was bad because it wasn't charging, but i can't get my gage to work. Am not sure where to start checking, which wire to check etc . Any help?
Hi John; It is difficult for us to guess what kind of problem you are having. Does the new alt. charge and the Gage does not read? What gage? is it the Voltmeter or Amp meter. How many wires are there at the back of the alternator. What brand alternator did you get? Pic of the back would help to identify if it is wired right. If you need to make sure that you have a output, disconnect the heavy red wire at the alternator and temporarily place a 60-80 amps amp meter in line of that output lead and start the engine. Bear in mind that amp meter observes polarity and may show discharge while it actually it is showing charge. Reason for need of further info is that you may have a wrong alternator if someone sold you crossed over application. Thanks, "boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
76 Argosy 28' MH

Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
Chief 1

Hey thanks. I guess more information is better. The voltmeter in the dash is the one that is not reading. The alt is a delco and is just like the one i took out. The wires have a plug that plugs in the alt so i know i didn't get that crossed. Before when i had the old alt in and while it was running i would pull off the pos side of the batt and it would stop. With the new alt it keeps running but i would like to get the gague working. Any ideas? Thanks