Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Cheap @$# Wheel Wells

Those original plastic wheel wells on my '72 Argosy 26 are so flimsy that I'm afraid if a tire blew out, part of my interior would go as well. Has anyone ever replaced those? If so, where did you get replacements? Also, I don't need to do a frame off restoration, and the floor is excellent from the wheels back. I am replacing floor under the refrigerator area due to a past leak issue, so I can get to the wheel well part of the frame on the street side of the trailer. My Argosy has the full bed layout. Any advice would be so welcome. I am replacing parts of the floor from up to the wheel well and forward, or therabouts.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Linc , Ne
If you plan on running st tires you just as well make new wheel wells now out of 1/4" boiler plate.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post
Those original plastic wheel wells on my '72 Argosy 26 are so flimsy that I'm afraid if a tire blew out, part of my interior would go as well. Has anyone ever replaced those? If so, where did you get replacements? Also, I don't need to do a frame off restoration, and the floor is excellent from the wheels back. I am replacing floor under the refrigerator area due to a past leak issue, so I can get to the wheel well part of the frame on the street side of the trailer. My Argosy has the full bed layout. Any advice would be so welcome. I am replacing parts of the floor from up to the wheel well and forward, or therabouts.
I've heard of some getting wheel wells made out of sheet metal. Try taking your old wheel wells to an HVAC shop and they should be able to fabricate some up for you.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Thanks! I like the idea of having them fabricated.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Cheap @$# Wheel Wells

Sheet metal will not be heavy enough to prevent damage. The typical stock trailer has 12 gauge metal for fenders. I have seen them ripped completely off with a blow out.
My thought has always been to build fenders out of 1/4" material and incorporate a device on the rear and outside edge of the fender to shred the tire as it flies apart. Thus preventing it from whipping and doing serious damage to the trailer skin.
Even though the fenders would be a lot heavier than the plastic. Preventing damage is my main concern. The little bit it would cost in fuel would be offset by not having a big $$$$ repair bill.
Just thinking out loud.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Maybe the originals aren't so cheap after all. As I pulled out flooring near the wheel, I noticed there is another wheel well under the beige plastic. I'm thinking the beige plastic was just an interior thing so you're not looking at the ugly, black wheel well. However, as I tear into this trailer, I'm finding things that make me think it's been worked on before, so I'm not altogether certain of what's original…. more on that in another post.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Maybe the originals aren't so cheap after all. As I pulled out flooring near the wheel, I noticed there is another wheel well under the beige plastic. I'm thinking the beige plastic was just an interior thing so you're not looking at the ugly, black wheel well. However, as I tear into this trailer, I'm finding things that make me think it's been worked on before, so I'm not altogether certain of what's original…. more on that in another post.
Believe the original were double layer plastic with fiberglass batt insulation between the layers.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Camrose , Alberta
my argosy had a blowout before I purchased it. the fender is still one piece. chewed up the fender trim and outer skin though.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
That two set wheel well was standard, one inside one outside, insulation in between. And they were made 42 years ago, so might not be too flimsy .... The ones on my 74 are still doing very well.