Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Carrier A/C

I have the opportunity to buy a used Carrier model
68RV14102A
13,500 Btu/h 115V
I have read that all Argosys after a certain date were pre plumbed and wired for a/c. I have searched for the info but not found out yet if this actual model will fit. I am thinking it should, that they are mostly similar. Here is a pic of the unit. I have read that the wiring is 104 inches from the first cross member going rearward from the front endcap. Is that standard for all trailer lengths?
Any info or advice is, as ever appreciated.

Bex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier AC.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	138099  

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
All the 70s trailers were wired for AC. The location depends on the model of the trailer. I would call Jackson Center to get the location for your trailer. You will need to add interior support between the inner and outer skins before you can attach the AC unit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Just left a message at Jackson Center for a call back, thanks!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Those Carriers do not attach to the drain lines, instead they use a "slinger wheel" to splash the condensate against the hot condenser. This both evaporates the condensate and increases the effectiveness of the condenser. That's the theory, anyway. It might work in Arizona or New Mexico, etc..., but it doesn't work where there is moisture in the air. Like here in Little Rock for instance.

Also, Carrier has exited the RV business so there will be no support at all. I put a Carrier on my Excella three years ago and it works fine other than the water draining onto the roof. However, I wouldn't do it again even if I could.

Of course, if you are getting a really good deal, that would be different.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Not sure what a "really good deal" might be. I have never (locally) seen them for less than $500.00 and this one is asking $350.
Would I be better served to wait and go with a different make do you think? Whats the reliability of these units, anybody know?
Thanks for the input by the way.

Bex

Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I decided to pass on the purchase. Like a London buss, if you miss one there will surely be another one along real soon.