Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

can this Argosy be saved?

or more importantly, is it worth saving?

there's a free 22' Argosy being offered by a local guy for a friend. It's in very bad condition--he says it would need to be gutted as it's been an animal habitat for many years, probably everything would need replacing, and it would most likely need to be moved on a flatbed.

also, the guy doesn't want people to come and look at it--you would have to just show up and take it away.

the hub says that an Argosy doesn't go for what an Airstream does so it wouldn't be worth the bucks to fix it up, and also he doesn't want our yard to turn into a junkyard for some odd reason--but I say--IT'S FREE!!!

what do you think?

oh, I didn't find out the year, but it's at least 20 years old.

Zoe
zoeb nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Free?

Can't get a project any cheaper than that...right?! Not necessarily ~

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Depending on your tastes & budget, a gut & redo can run anywhere from $5000 -$10,000 or more if you farm out the work to pros. If you enjoy this sort of thing, the time spent could be worthwhile, you'll end up with exactly what you want...otherwise it'll be a PITA and you could spend the same amount of money on one in better condition. The advantage of DIY is it's money spent a little at a time vs all at once on a different trailer.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
The statement of that an Argosy doesn't go for what an AS does... is not really correct. Look at the 24 footers and below that show up on eBay. Definitely good money to be had, but the real value is the coach itself, not the resale value. If the sides are relatively dent free, the end caps are completely dent free, and the windows, especially the wraparounds, are intact, then I think you have a salvagable keeper.

We have sene very very little mention of floor rot in Argosy's here and that leads me to believe that this one is probably in good shape there. The rest of the fixes are just sweat equity and money.

Axle for ~700
New floor covering ~250
Appliances 1500
Systems 1000.

Various upholstery 750
Wood for cabinet repair 200.

New exterior paint job: 2200.

That I think is probably your upper limit list of repairs/replacements to do.

I'd go get it, if it was near me....Where is it?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Free is usually good, but then I cheap!

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeb nj
also, the guy doesn't want people to come and look at it--you would have to just show up and take it away.
Are you kidding? What's the guy going to do, shoot you in the back if you turn and run after seeing it?

This guy needs a dose of reality. You have to come and see it to at least determine what it would take to haul it away. If this guy really wants it gone, he's going to have to be a lot more accomodating that that. No way I'd agree to come and haul off something based on the description he's given you, sight unseen. Used as an animal habitat? I'd wager that the floor would have to be replaced - I understand that the smell of animal waste, especially urine, is extremely difficult, if not impossible to get out of wooden floors.

I would insist on an inspection - after all, it isn't costing him anything to get rid of it.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
22 foot argosys are RARE and were only made for a few years ending in 1977 or 1978. A few of them had composite aluminum floors - even rarer.

Free sounds like a fair price to me.....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yeah, so Zoe, if you don't want it, can you let us in on the location?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I say go look at it, and if it's bad, run! If it's not, then you have to determine if it's safe to tow home. If after all that you get it home and realize you're in over your head, hopefully you're not into it for too much, and can find some other sucker who dreams of fixing it up. Small airstreams don't stay in the classifieds long around here. I know one person who spent $6500 on an old Globtrotter with a floor so bad you couldn't walk on it. There's another one born every minute...

Go check it out!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

yeah, you guys are the greatest!

thanks for your thoughts on this.

I have a lot more info now--I called the guy and said we couldn't commit to it without being able to look at it--he was trying to limit how many people he showed it to--so we just looked at it--it's way better than I thought! even Bob is liking it--it's a 20' er, so even cuter, a 74--we have to see how hard it'll be to get a title for it.

it's definitely a weird thing, though--this older guy must have kept some kind of animal in it--there's like 3-4" of manure on the floor just inside the door--but Bob inspected it--the floor's solid--I guess the shag carpet'll have to go--hehehe. obviously the cushions, but the bed frames and cabinets are all good, no leaks, the bathroom looked fine, windows good. The outside paint is faded and there's some flaking & rust--so that's a definite re-do.

no idea whether the wiring, plumbing and all that is any good--but when I heard animals, I was thinking rodents nibbling at wires, etc--this was --I don't know, from the manure, maybe a calf--so maybe more is intact than I originally thought would be.

And Bob thinks he can tow it home--it's only like 5 miles, so no biggie.

I think we'll probably go for it--I've been wanting to paint an Argosy a neat color since I saw the Airstream Life one.

BUT--if we decide not to get it, i will definitely pass it on--Zoe
Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Pictures, we want pictures. Remember to take your "before" pictures in a format that will let you post them here. I have lots of during and after pictures, but my before pictures were taken before I knew about the forum. They are too big to post. I know we all want to see what a great "free" trailer you got . And remember, best of all it's an Argosy. Get yourself some "Marine Clean" for the outside and the "sticky" inside walls. Bleach water will kill most animal waste smells. I'm so excited for you. Where do you live anyway. Now that none of us can beat a trail out to the free trailer, you're safe in telling us.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's just bizzare that someone would keep an animal in a trailer! Glad to hear it doesn't sound too bad though. I hate to think of the smells that could rear their ugly head come summer Can't wait to hear more about this little adventure.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hey Zoe,
I live about 30 minutes from you. If you don't take it I will.
Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Where do either one of you live. I'm dying to know.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I think I remember from an earlier post that Zoe is in New Jersey? Can you believe it, they found a FREE camper 5 MILES from home. ARGGG!!!! Zoe, all the best, but please, more info and pictures!!! You know the camper envy we all suffer from here!!

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

I know, it is amazing that this happened--I have been looking on the side of the road for years and there is never anything around here--then suddenly we find the Safari in Sept and now this Argosy --don't ask me why--but listen--you all can laugh out of the other side of your mouths when it turns into a disaster and Bob divorces me!!!

and again--I WILL pass this on if we don't take it--but I'm almost 100% pos that we will--Z
Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I my view - free can be VERY expensive - it could be a lot cheaper to find one in decent condition and fix it up than to take a junker for free and fix it up.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Condition sounds shakey, but you never know what a bit of spit and polish can do, good luck, keep us posted!
We found one on the side of the road for a couple of hundred. Currently in the process of taking everything out to see if it is worth doing anything with.
(parts is parts)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Animal evidence

Zoe,
Can you get a few pictures of the animal manure? Some of us on the forum have watched plenty episodes of CSI and may be able to identify the animal. Just kidding. I'm happy for you. It sure will be a story to tell in the future so get those pictures!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
free is worth it for the aluminum. The aluminum would be worth a couple hundred I would think for scrap. Its better then 50cents a pound I think for that grade. Shell has to be 300lb

sawzall and some blades and it would be gone in an afternoon. Quick couple hundred in the pocket at the local recycler if it was to far gone to deal with.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

David said--

Can you get a few pictures of the animal manure? Some of us on the forum have watched plenty episodes of CSI and may be able to identify the animal.

hahaha=actually this is driving me crazy--I'm just having a hard time figuring what animal was housed in it--so I will take pics--get your detective hats one.

I especially want to get pics of the bittersweet bush that's growing in and around the hitch! It's lovely.

right now I'm dreaming of what neat color I can paint it when I get the clean up done.

so far--

leopard print--I think it would be a riot--no one else does
a pretty metallic gold--get it--the Anti--Airstream--no votes
pale olive green--call it Olive Oyl --no vote
sky blue with soap bubbles all over it--my business is soapmaking. fav so far
a pale pale tangerine and do the interior in all Miami hot pastels--turquoise, lime pink and yellow--yum! no votes

Zoe