Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So I have been completely rebuilding my trailer. The subfloor is brand new, the interior skins have been replaced with new material, all insulation has been replaced, and out of the blue--stank! Turns out the plastic interior end caps reek. After installing them once, the trailer immediately stank so much that I removed them, scrubbed them down with bleach, and reinstalled. The stank came back. So I have painted the interior surface of them, and that has helped a lot. Wish I had painted the outsides of them before putting them in the second time--just didn't imagine that clean plastic would still be so stinky. Soooo, you might want to just paint everything in sight! Should help. Oh, and your bellypan is surely full of nasty. You'll want to deal with that as well.

good luck!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
My 86 stinks as well after being closed up for a few days. Wet days makes it worse. I've cleaned, reupholstered, urethane on the OSB subfloor, new cork floor covering, new foam board insulation under the sub floor, etc, etc. I did notice the plastic furnace vent to the bath smells bad, but it runs under the floor. Luckily the smell quickly dissipates and isn't noticeable when we are traveling in the trailer.

Our smell is plastic like. The wife says somewhat like a new doll at Christmas. Thanks for the tip in the plastic end caps. Maybe that's were it is coming from.

David

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Anyone try the 'Ozium' stuff? It is pretty rank chemically smelling, but it has been helpful for us.. I think this is similar to what they use in the Airline industry when they clean up the 'winged bus'.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
A 1979 unit will almost certainly have been infested by mice at some point in its life. They will leave behind a copious amount of droppings and perhaps even a dead comrade or two (or a few dozen!)

Assuming you have checked out the commode and vent pipe as previously suggested, I would drop the belly pan, remove all the insulation and inevitable mouse remnants, clean thoroughly, do whatever frame repairs/strengthening you want to do, install new insulation and reinstall the belly pan. When you reinstall the belly pan, make sure to rivet the heck out of it to close up any little holes for mice to get back in! And check the rivets on a regular basis and fix as needed (rivets holding the belly pan always fail.)

If you still have a bad odor, then the mice have gotten into the area between the inside and outside skins. The only solution in that case is a complete gutting of the trailer which sounds like a bad deal for you since you have already restored the interior.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
if between the wall and exterior, perhaps a spray injected via a straw, like on a WD-40 can, perhaps you can diminish the odor?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Alot of old plastic stinks as it ages. The combination of ozone and age and a little uv make for stinky plastic. I think a lot of my trailer stink is the old plastic. Sealing with paint is not a bad idea.

Perry
Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Years ago I had a used Olds whose plastic steering wheel was starting to chip and fall apart and it STANK like that Seinfeld episode about the shower that "didn't take". I had no idea what it was but when I got in that car - especially on a hot day - it smelled like a football team had hong out in it overnight after the toughest game they ever played and hadn't showered. One day, some pieces fell off in my hand and (not sure why) I sniffed them....god rid of the car a few weeks later....I'm sure replacing the steering wheel would have helped and been a bit less drastic. Maybe it's an easy swap for you? Good luck!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Jeddo , Michigan
Thank you all for the continuing, helpful suggestion . I have replaced the roof vents and resealed them and dumped copious amounts of chlorine bleach down the vent pipes. In a few days the smell returned. I think my next step is to remove the belly pan and see what is going on in there. Should be a fun time!!!??? I will let you know what I find and will make samples available to those who request it. Might as well joke about it don't you think?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Jeddo , Michigan
Well, I think I found the source of the stinkys!!

First of all, thank you all for your help! I was almost ready to drop the pan and see what was going on but decided to check one other thing first. The odor seemed more concentrated when you first open the door which is right next to the refrigerator in my layout. Yup, you guessed it! We have a propane leak behind the refrigerator and the propane had been left on from the last camping trip. I am more than a little embarrassed but very thankful to have located a potentially dangerous problem. Hopefully this may help someone else before a match gets lit. Thanks again to all with suggestions. We had tried everything we could think of.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yikes, good thing you don't smoke!

ps: get a propane detector, it might save yer life!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
So glad that your "enlightenment" came gradually and not in a brilliant flash. Propane gas and CO detector = good investment.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If the odor still lingers try activated charcoal. When our converter converted to smoke, the phenolic smell was bad.

I put about a cup of the activated charcoal spread on paper plates around the cMper... Next day almost gone. Day 2 it was only an imaginary reminder.

Oh, you get the stuff from a pet store...filter area. Comes in various sizes.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If not mentioned an ozone generator trumps all else. Fixing the source is one thing. Fixing the air another. Observe all warnings. Car dealers and flood resto companies swear by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #28
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
If not mentioned an ozone generator trumps all else. Fixing the source is one thing. Fixing the air another. Observe all warnings. Car dealers and flood resto companies swear by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Yeah, I use one in my business. Wouldn't be without it.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote